This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to KDE...

...and so far I'm loving it. Generally speaking, whenever I've played around with any Linux distro it's always been a case of what doesn't work. With Kubuntu, the only issue so far has been the Canon MX882 printer/scanner. I managed to get that worked out and it wasn't a big deal.

So far I've got Netflix working and Office 14 too. Skype and Dropbox are working and Acrobat is kosher as well. About the only area where I'm lacking is Steam support.

I'm currently dual-booting along side Win 8.1 (and I rather like that OS), but I think I could move to Kubuntu permently if I had to.

Hardware: Acer Aspire M5-581t laptop

Steam works great on my Kubuntu machine. What kind of problems are you having?

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      Steam works great on my Kubuntu machine. What kind of problems are you having?
      I may have mispoke - Steam works natively within Linux, just not all of my games are ported over. I could try Steam via PlayOnLinux, but that hasn't quite worked in the past.

Sadly, this hullabaloo is related mainly to Great Big War Game. It's such a simple game... lol

/manners - howdy!

Comment

welcom loba!

I personally think that if you contributed some of your knowledge about games that those among us, who cannot even win one level on Tank would appreciate reading your stuff!

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by loaba View Post
          So far I've got...Office 14 [working] too.
          As in Microsoft Office 2010? "Office 14" is the internal name for Office 2010. Are you running it without problems in Wine? If so, does that include Outlook also?

Comment

I've been able to get Office 2010 working in WINE but not Outlook or Access. I can get Outlook to run a little but once it starts trying to access a PST file, it hangs. Something about those PST that WINE can't handle yet and may not ever really.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
              I can get Outlook to run a little but once it starts trying to access a PST file, it hangs. Something about those PST that WINE can't handle yet and may not ever really.
              My experience is that Outlook under Wine can not complete authentication to my company's Exchange server. This happens both with MAPI/RPC/HTTP ("Outlook Anywhere") over the Internet and with MAPI/RPC/TCP (regular MAPI) over a VPN. I wish it would work -- then I'd be able to ditch the Windows VM and use Wine instead.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                My experience is that Outlook under Wine can not complete authentication to my company's Exchange server. This happens both with MAPI/RPC/HTTP ("Outlook Anywhere") over the Internet and with MAPI/RPC/TCP (regular MAPI) over a VPN. I wish it would work -- then I'd be able to ditch the Windows VM and use Wine instead.
                Not having Outlook is the only thing as well here that keeps me from really just switching over to Kubuntu permanently at work. I have been looking at VM of some sort just haven't had time.

Comment

Originally posted by loaba View Post
                  Sadly, this hullabaloo is related mainly to Great Big War Game. It's such a simple game... lol
                  Hi mate!

If the game you're talking about is the same as the one I'm thinking about (the Advance Wars clone for Android & iOS) then I can see why you like it so much! I introduced that one to a few friends who don't usually play games and they were hooked within minutes.

My gut feeling is that you could probably run this in an Android Virtual Machine if it's a real deal breaker, but I'll leave it to the more tech savvy users to tell me off if I'm spouting rubbish!

Feathers
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

EEE... happy Halloween
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                      EEE... happy Halloween
                      What is this I don't even

Comment

What is this I don't even
                        Yeah, that wasn't at all clear. Should have gone to bed a couple of hours before I wrote it... sorry!

It was a reference to MS's "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" strategy, as revealed in the Halloween Documents.

Shame your company is using a MS exchange server, or you could connect with whatever you liked and it would "just work"!
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Forgot about this thread!

Yes - Outlook does work under Play on Linux/Wine.

About Great Big Wargame - anybody have a roadmap for the required 32lib packages I need for 32-bit gaming? I think that's gonna be the key to getting it to run properly.

Current thoughts on Kubuntu - it really is a viable alternative to Win 7 at this point. My goal has always been to get by without dual-booting and that is the case currently. I think games will always be a problem, but it's not like I don't have other boxes.
                          Last edited by loaba; Mar 31, 2014, 11:07 PM.

Comment

As much as I love WINE, etc.....there are oddball people like me that need to have oddball apps like Crossword Magic to work and it just is not going to happen.......

for reasons completely extraneous to WINE etc......

so, I don't complain......it is just some FUD that occurrs because of proprietary software.

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Woodsmoke - have you tried KrossWordPuzzle? It's a bit outdated, but maybe just needs some luvin.
                              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                              K*Digest Blog
                              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X