This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems connecting to home wireless network

I have a problem connecting to my home wireless network. Half the time Kubuntu won't connect until for another 2-3 minutes after startup, and the other half of the time Kubuntu doesn't connect at all, it just says network deactivated, or asks for the passphrase. I dual boot, and only Kubuntu has this problem, windows works fine. The problem didn't happen on the previous kubuntu version as far as i can remember.

Are you using "WPA & WPA Personal" as your security type in your wifi setup?

Another problem is that the bandwidth (a,b, g or N) between your wireless router and your PC are not the same. I have my wireless set to use N. My son's iPhone can't connect because it can't recieve using N and I am not mixing my bandwidths in my wireless router.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 01, 2014, 03:16 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, it seems to have fixed itself recently, no idea how or why though

Comment

An update probably fixed it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Ah I am still getting this problem . It's very inconsistent. And it only effects my laptop running kubuntu. Is the bandwidth likely to be the issue when windows connects fine on the same machine?

Comment

How long have you had Kubuntu on this laptop / PC? Was it working fine before and just stopped? Also, when replying, please list your computer's model # if you know it. Along with what version of Kubuntu. Also helpful would be to know your wireless chipset. To find out, in a terminal (Konsole), you can run:

Code:
            sudo lshw
            In the output, look for a section, likely near the bottom, that says "* network". For example, when I run the command mine shows:

*-network description: Wireless interface
            physical id: 1
            bus info: usb@1:6
            logical name: wlan0
            serial: 00:22:3f:fd:1b:02
            capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
            configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8187 driverversion=3.2.0-60-generic firmware=N/A link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
            This way we can be more likely to help you.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7 View Post
              Ah I am still getting this problem . It's very inconsistent. And it only effects my laptop running kubuntu. Is the bandwidth likely to be the issue when windows connects fine on the same machine?
              When I had that problem I switched to KWeezy 1.5 for about a month, until 14.04 alpha came out. When I tested a LIVECD of it I found that the newer kernel (3.11, now at 3.13) ath9k driver worked fine at 300Mb/s. KWeezy 1.5 had a kernel that was much newer than Precise or even Saucy.

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                How long have you had Kubuntu on this laptop / PC? Was it working fine before and just stopped? Also, when replying, please list your computer's model # if you know it. Along with what version of Kubuntu. Also helpful would be to know your wireless chipset. To find out, in a terminal (Konsole), you can run:
                I've had the laptop maybe two years, it was fine before, but then I moved house and got a new router. I'm using the Kubuntu 14.04 beta, although I had the same problem using 13.10.

Code:
                *-network
                                description: Wireless interface
                                product: Centrino Wireless-N 2230
                                vendor: Intel Corporation
                                physical id: 0
                                bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
                                logical name: wlan0
                                version: c4
                                serial: 68:5d:43:e4:9f:9e
                                width: 64 bits
                                clock: 33MHz
                                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                                configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=3.13.0-17-generic

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                When I had that problem I switched to KWeezy 1.5 for about a month, until 14.04 alpha came out. When I tested a LIVECD of it I found that the newer kernel (3.11, now at 3.13) ath9k driver worked fine at 300Mb/s. KWeezy 1.5 had a kernel that was much newer than Precise or even Saucy.
                I'm using Kubuntu 14.04 beta now, so I assume that that has the newest kernal.

I've noticed that if I reset the router, Kubuntu can connect. However if I were then to restart the computer, there's a good chance Kubuntu won't be able to reconnect until I go downstairs and reset the router again.
                Last edited by Falc7; Mar 18, 2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X