This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu best KDE distro of 2013

I didn't realize netrunner MAG named Kubuntu as best KDE distro of 2013. Here's the link:

http://netrunner-mag.com/?p=3184

That's pretty cool. I used to use Ubuntu and noticed that I kept installing and liking KDE software. Then when Ubuntu came out with Unity, I really didn't much care for that interface, so Kubuntu seemed the logical choice. If I didn't use Kubuntu, I would probably use Mint with KDE, even though I really hate mint chocolate chip ice cream.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Seems like I remember seeing that somewhere. That is nice!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
      Seems like I remember seeing that somewhere. That is nice!
      In another post of the Forum
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

Possible. Maybe from SR? Either way good for Kubuntu.

Comment

I've tried SolydXK (junk) and Mint KDE (didn't "feel" right) and now Kubuntu. Really, the Mint and Ubuntu versions of KDE are pretty similar. Just, like I said, Mint's version didn't seem as nice as Kubuntu.

Comment

didn't "feel" right
            I'm glad that there is at least one other person who thinks that there is a "feel" to Kubuntu that is not present with KDE tacked onto Debian.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              I'm glad that there is at least one other person who thinks that there is a "feel" to Kubuntu that is not present with KDE tacked onto Debian.
              I'm the third person then. ;-)
              Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
              tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

That's because Debian + KDE is not Kubuntu. Kubuntu is a distribution that reflects the philosophies and attitudes of its maintainers. Which, apparently, most (all?) of us here align with to some degree.

Comment

+1 ;d

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    That's because Debian + KDE is not Kubuntu. Kubuntu is a distribution that reflects the philosophies and attitudes of its maintainers. Which, apparently, most (all?) of us here align with to some degree.
                    I certainly much prefer Kubuntu's feel to anything else I've tried. I used to use Ubuntu 7.10 and then 8.04, on a different computer. I liked it okay, but I found myself installing a lot of KDE-based applications. That computer wasn't my main computer. It was a jukebox PC, and I kept using Windows XP/7 for my main stuff.

Fast forward to last year. My Ubuntu PC had long since crashed and I was feeling annoyed with Windows, especially after the release of Windows 8, which I'll be bluntly honest how I feel about it: It's total garbage. I remembered that I liked Ubuntu and KDE, so the logical thing would be to try out the latest Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I did not like Ubuntu's new Unity at all, but loved Kubuntu. It's still not completely clear to me what parts are KDE and what parts are unique to Kubuntu, but I do know the whole combination works well for me. I even much prefer how LibreOffice works under Kubuntu over how it is in Ubuntu.

To be fair, I really haven't done much in other KDE distros. The other distro that I use some is Puppy, but not as any PC's main OS. I boot it from a USB drive as a diagnostic tool. It works great for that because it's such a light distro, but I probably wouldn't use it on a full-fledged PC unless for some reason I were forced into using ancient hardware.

Comment

I'm glad that Kubuntu was named so, but I've been piddling around with archlinux for about two weeks on my desktop pc and I've found that I can really screw up the system and fix it pretty quick and easily, unlike with Kubuntu, which usually ends up with a reinstall. Plus, I like that I don't have to install "metapackages" to get KDE up and running. Using Kubuntu, once I get my system "proper" (just the way I like it), I've installed 2000+ packages. With archlinux, I have a bit over 950 packages installed. And, I'm on a rolling release (that satisfies the tinkerer in me). Of course, installing packages in archlinux is a little more of a challenge, but I think I've got that pretty much automated.

I think Kubuntu is a wonderful starter distro. And, like SR said, the philosophies and attitudes of the maintainers AND the users are ones I wish I could find in more places (not just in Linux distros).
                      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Kubuntu is a finisher distro for me. Why call it a starter?
                        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                          I was thinking the same thing. I have no reason to move on to anything else. The only reason I would is if for some reason they mucked it up or of there were a bunch of software that would not run under Kubuntu but would under some other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
                            It's good to find a distro that can fit your needs and wants. I also liked that in Kubuntu. But I believe that the *buntu family was/is being written to allow people a way to transition away from Windows with very little documented choice in what will and will not be installed. You have the option of a base, standard or full install. And removing something you don't want from those metas can break the system. I once removed a plasma-widget and almost everything kde based became orphaned and was removed on an "aptitude dist-upgrade" without warning. This kind of distibution is fantastic for someone who is just getting started and for those who have found their niche and don't try to streamline too much.
                            I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I fiddle with Kubuntu all the time. I have always been warned what will be removed if I was deleting something. I still do not feel I need to "advance" to a "more sophisticated" distro. But I am only a beginner with Linux, having used it for only 12 years.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X