This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Samba

I have 3 laptops all running anUbuntu varienr, mine being Kubuntu. I want to set up a file/printer share between them, It doesnt have to be pretty as long as it works. Im stll new to linux so Im in a major learning curve. I tried Samba and had to re-install kubuntu, not sure what happened but I didnt like it anyway. I looked at NFS but thought it would be a good good idea to ask before I jumped into anything again.
    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

NFS does file sharing very well, but doesn't do windows. Samba will work fine once set up properly, but is slower, less secure, and has trouble with things like file streaming. It does connect to windows machines though.

With NFS, you install the server and client on all machines. Server "exports" the chosen folders/files and the client side mount the exports. Another option is to have a single NFS server and just have the other machines as clients. The best set up for you will depend on how you intend to use it.

Samba does printer sharing, but CUPS will do it without samba if you're not worried about windows users.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, I'm not worried about about the windows. I keep a copy on my machine just in case I run into one of those windows only things, but almost never use it. I was afraid that nfs would be a little complex.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
      X