This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu runs,k no other wireless device can connect anymore

At first i thought is was a problem with the router but then i supsected kubuntu being the culprit.

Network layout:
    2 pc's: 1 windows, 1 kubuntu, connected by cabl to the router, both have internet.
    Whenever my kubuntu is started, none of my wireless devices can connect, printer, smartphone, tablet. They see my wireless network, but can't connect.
    At first i was just a suspission, because i can't believe a cabled pc could affect the wireless.
    But yestreday i finally did the test. Turn off kubuntu network connection, all wireless devices connect.
    Turn kubuntu network connection on, wireless devices lost their connection.
    I did this turning on and of for about 3 times, everytime with the same result on the wireless devices.

When only the windows pc is running no such problems occur.

And now that think about it, the problems did start around the same time that 13.10 came out. I did a fresh install for that btw.

Anyway, when we get around to it, we're going to trade in our router with our provider in the hopes that it'll fix anything. But seeing my test yesterday, i'dd like your opinion as well. These troubles when have been going on for weeks, will the support of our provider is extreemly slow at responding. If there's the remote possibility that it is kubuntu, i'dd like to try some fixes for that as well.
    Last edited by FUNimations; Jan 19, 2014, 09:22 AM.

My old router did something similar to this, but in reverse. As long as my desktop was up and running, all was well. As soon as I shut it down, the network stopped working. In my case, the wired network stopped but the wireless worked fine. If I unplugged the desktop network cables, it all went back to working again. Point to the story is: It may indeed be the older equipment.

Does your desktop have a wifi device in it? If you want some help trouble shooting this, you're going to need to supply details about your systems and network hardware.

Please Read Me

Comment

no, my kubuntu pc doesn't have a wireless network card.
      And it's 1 year old. Put it toghether just last year.

Router is from my provider: the BBox 2 (from sagem?).
      My network card is the one on my motherboard (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)).

Comment

With the Ethernet cable attached, what's the output of:
        Code:
        sudo ethtool -g eth0

sudo ethtool -k eth0
        Something of a guess, but it could be that a particular default Ethernet client setting may indeed cause a router to misbehave. I've seen this with jumbo frames, for instance.

Comment

i'll come back to this thread in a few days.
          At the moment we've exchanged our bbox2 with the provider for a bbox3.
          At the moment things are still connecting smoothly while my kubuntu is running.

In a few days i'll close this should the problems not return.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 20, 2014, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Hmm, seems i don't have the privilige to close my own thread.
            Anyway, with the new bbox i haven't encountered the problem anymore. So i guess this may be closed or deleted for being useless.

Comment

We haven't enabled the options for thread closing or deletion. Even though the original problem may have been solved or disappeared, we like for threads to remain open so that additional discussion may take place.

Comment

Working...
              X