This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Task Manager sorting not working

I have my Task Manager set to sort alphabetically, but it always sorts by order the program was launched in, i.e. the latest program launched is always put on the right. If I go to the settings, then tell it to stop sorting, then Apply, then tell it to sort alphabetically, then Apply, it will re-order them alphabetically, but after that each new program is still only put on the right side, so I have to manually go through this trick again to re-sort them. This applies to both the Task Manager and Icon-Only Task Manager. I tried checking Launchpad to see if it was a bug, but couldn't find it. What could be wrong?
    -Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

I would suggest that you go ahead and file a bug, then.

Comment

Really? It just seems odd that no one else seems to have this problem, or am I the only one that cares about it?

Comment

Perhaps alphabetical sort isn't widely used. It would drive me crazy, in fact.

Part of the community aspect of open source is that people file bugs. Perhaps others have noticed the same problem you have, and haven't even asked on a forum. You've taken the first step -- you've asked. Now take the next one -- file that bug. At least give the developers some awareness that a feature you like isn't working. You'll be helping everyone experiencing the same problem.

Comment

Alright. I'll go figure out how that works then.

Comment

I suspect most people do not care or do not notice. In my case I only have the icon showing in the task bar, so alphabetization is pretty meaningless to me.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

Seems to work at here...

Testing

With the KDE 4.11.3 / Task Manager 2.0

Making a new panel - the default is the alphabetical sorting.

Starting new apps: D,B,C,A.
              The application is placed to the right and then sorted to the correct place - A,B,C,D - automatically.

You could try with:
              - the new panel.
              - the new plasma settings.
              - the new user.
              Last edited by Rog132; Jan 19, 2014, 11:32 AM.
              A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

What folks need to bear in mind is that the sorting isn't on the application name but on their descriptions. So, if the alphabetical sorting isn't what you expect, use the menu editor and change the descriptions.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just checked. It is not on the description but the app name in my install.

From Tapatalk
                  Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                  Always consider Occam's Razor
                  Rich

Comment

Hmm,
                    I'm seeing the same problem as the original poster. (I'm actually running the KDE version of Linux Mint 16). This seems to have started w/ the KDE from kubuntu 13.10 and was not happening w/ 13.04.

The version of KDE I see is 4.11.5, and the Task Manager is still v2.0 (thanks for showing me where to find that version number).

Comment

How have you guys configured Kickoff's display -- by name or by description? By description is the default. I always change to by name. Does changing this affect the order in the task manager?

To change: right-click the Kickoff icon, choose Application Launcher Settings:

Comment

So my Application Laucher Options
                        Show a dropdown Format: with the choices Name Only, Description Only, Name (Description), Name - Description.

I have "Name (Description)" selected.

Comment

I don't recognize that image. Are you not using KDE's default Kickoff launcher?

Comment

Doesn't Mint KDE use a version of the Mint launcher, and not Kickoff? Of course, been a while since I used Mint so I might be wayyyy off here.
                            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                            K*Digest Blog
                            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I dunno. But that icon does have a minty look, eh? I wonder what the various options are for the Format dropdown...

Comment

Working...
                              X