X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Shutdown/reboot hang -my problem is solved

Shutdown/Reboot hang: a problem solved!

I thought I'd post here in case my solution is of use to others experiencing shutdown/reboot problems in the same manner as myself.

My system (Kubuntu 13.10) would hang on 90% of occasions when trying to shutdown or reboot. It seems the problem was (probably) that the nfs mounts to my NAS were not unmounted by the rc0/6 shutdown routines early enough to beat loss of network access from my (wireless) laptop.

If I umounted nfs manually before shutting down, all was always ok. I reasoned that I should be able to automate my manual intervention.

Attempt 1 (Failed): Calling a custom umount script early in /etc/rc0.d & /etc/rc6.d did not fix the problem, and that set me to wondering whether I should get the unmount to happen before execution of the rc routines.

Attempt 2 (Failed): I specified an unmount script in “Settings>System Settings>Startup and Shutdown”.

Attempt 3 (Failed): I added “session-cleanup-script=umount -a -l -t nfs“ under the [SeatDefaults] section of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Attempt 4 (WORKED) I added the following to /etc/init/lightdm.conf

pre-stop script
    umount -a -l -t nfs
    end script

More of a workaround than a solution, I guess, but for me it works, and I now never get a shutdown or reboot hang.

Nice find. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Working...
    X