This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k9copy fans

if your like me, you just can't adjust to k9copy being gone.

get source from here. http://k9copy.sourceforge.net/web/index.php/en/download extract.

Prerequisites are here. http://k9copy.sourceforge.net/web/index.php/en/ I had to install(You might need more):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdelibs5-dev libxine-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libavformat-dev libswscale-dev

create build directory next to extracted directory. and:
    Code:
    cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DQT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE=qmake-qt4 -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING="-Wall -fno-omit-frame-pointer -ggdb" ../source
    Where "../source" is the path to the extracted directory.

make -j4

I didn't install it and it ran fine from the build directory. The menu and toolbars where slim, but I believe that was from the lack of installation. I had to edit the toolbar to get to the copy command. Not a big deal.

I am curious about the qt only version.
    FKA: tanderson

Thanks for the information. I actually had to take a DEB from the older REPOS and used that to install. Seems fine but I agree it is hard to get use to it not being available any more.

Comment

I have tried others and I just can't get myself to spend the time to learn them.

I can't believe it is left out of the repo's. I didn't have to do anything to the code. Must be the original author was doing the packaging.

Comment

I had to make some minor changes to the k9copy code for trusty. Seems to be working here.
        https://github.com/blobfish/k9copy

Comment

That's it, it's the end !

What a shame!
          Last edited by life0riley; Mar 30, 2014, 11:03 AM. Reason: ugly url
          sigpic

Comment

Gosh, I used k9copy religiously for years, and its best value was the built-in DVD9 -> DVD5 shrinkage feature. It was just a front-end, after all, though. I don't think I've used it for the past 3 or 4 years.

I think the k9copy author's saying that "the DVD is dead" is pretty much true these days. I now only use DVDs to store files once-in-a-while, and for videos I only use the DVDs to occasionally store the .MKV (or .MP4 or .AVI) files on them anyway (for which K3b works just fine). Large-capacity hard drives (and even USB drives or SDcards) are dirt-cheap and it's much easier to throw the video files onto one of them (rather than to keep track of multiple DVDs). Besides, DVDs are finicky beasts, and scratches and smudges ruining a DVD are memories of the past.

Lastly, I can't remember the last time I played a DVD (.VOB-based or any other format) in the DVD player (which reads video files from a USB-based external hard drive better than from a DVD anyway).

Nowadays if I find a .VOB video DVD lying around (I used to produce all my work presentations on DVDs), I generally convert it immediately to .MKV (using Handbrake) or to .AVI (using mencoder) and then throw it onto the hard-drive. (See (K)Ubuntuguide at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Video_Conversion .)

I've read that for personal-use purposes the "ripping" process will be legal in the UK starting in July 2014 even for commercial DVDs (though the US isn't so progressive and it will still remain illegal there).

[rant]
            I do have a beef with repo managers removing old, stable programs from the repos because "they are not actively being developed" anymore, though. Simple, stable front-end programs do not always need a heck-of-a-lot of development year by year... In fact, the rabid desire for (often unnecessary) rapid change is, IMO, what often introduces so many new bugs into platforms. It's one of the reasons I've gone to LTS releases only.
            [/rant]
            Last edited by perspectoff; Mar 29, 2014, 03:47 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
            and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I agree. The DVD is becoming obsolete. I've converted most of our home movies from DVDs to .MKV using Handbrake. It's much more convenient to watch them from the computer.

I was reacting to the latter part of this statement here.
              The DVD is obsolete, and I no longer believe in the future of desktop Linux.
              I can see where developing an application that works with all the major distributions would be time consuming and challenging. If I had that skill set it would be a labor of love for me.

Quote from here.
              The third is that all my efforts to switch to Linux have been unsuccessful. Seven years later, I still have a dual boot Windows / Linux, and I am still forced to use Windows applications. I do also think that this situation could change, however, and for this reason that I stop everything. I stop to get involved in a fight that is not mine but that of large corporations trying to take advantage of this operating system to reap healthy profits (when they arrive).
              I'm more realistic. As much as I'd like to, I know I will never get away from Windows completely. It's the OS of choice where I work, and my wife and the rest of our family could not make the transition.

Originally posted by perspectoff View Post
              [rant]
              I do have a beef with repo managers removing old, stable programs from the repos because "they are not actively being developed" anymore, though. Simple, stable front-end programs do not always need a heck-of-a-lot of development year by year... In fact, the rabid desire for (often unnecessary) rapid change is, IMO, what often introduces so many new bugs into platforms. It's one of the reasons I've gone to LTS releases only.
              [/rant]
              Exactly! My main computer is LTS. I'm not ready to part yet with some programs I find useful.
              sigpic

Comment

I know there were some other things I had download (though I can't for life of me remember what ), but I simply downloaded a copy of the old avformat.h from the net - one that said something about MIT on it. This header contains the structure AVFormatParameters and contains the cur_st member in the struture AVFormatContext. I put the header in file in a new subfolder - src/includes, and changed 2 k9copy headers to include that path and it builds and runs fine.

For those who may not know: besides the "DVD is going away" thing, there is another larger reason why k9copy isn't in Ubuntu now. A couple of years ago there was dissent in the ffmpeg community which resulted in another project being created called libav. Debian & Ubuntu have selected to go with libav and not include/support ffmpeg anymore. So there is a larger thing at work here. To truely get this working in Ubuntu in a way which would probably be acceptable to Ubuntu/Debian, it would have to exclude the depedency on ffmpeg, which means the k9copy code would have to be converted to use libav instead. I have created a post in the Ubuntu forums asking for guidance on ffmpeg to libav conversion in general.

It's too bad - either one maintains 2 code bases - 1 for Debian/Ubuntu, 1 for distros that include ffmpeg, or one must make their product exclusive of the other, thus limiting the potential audience. Just because of conflicting personalities and views of how ffmpeg should be maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by blobfish View Post
                  I had to make some minor changes to the k9copy code for trusty. Seems to be working here.
                  https://github.com/blobfish/k9copy
                  I didn't realize what you meant was that you had already made the changes so that k9copy would build in Ubuntu and the libav environment. That saves me trying to figure out any of this. Have you submitted this for inclusion in Ubuntu repos?

Great work, and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by squakie View Post
                    Have you submitted this for inclusion in Ubuntu repos?
                    No. Not sure how far I want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by blobfish View Post
                      No. Not sure how far I want to go.
                      Maybe you could post over in the Ubuntu programming forum and see if someone would like to take over the project now that you have it converted to libav. I know that the maintainer of k9copy has apparently stopped maintaining it, so perhaps you could get someone there to take it over, build a .deb (if you haven't already) and submitted it to Ubuntu for approval and inclusion.

If you don't feel you want to do that, and only if it is ok with you since it is your hard work, I could try to do that up to the submission process. I'm afraid my programming skills have gone to basically nothing since I haven't worked since 1996. Used C and C++ (plus obviously assembler, machine code, etc.) back then when I was a systems programmer on big iron but it's all that has gone away. I remember just enough, without remembering ENOUGH, to get myself into real trouble

Comment

I am not really interested in any of that. I only made build changes. My repo is out there. Anybody can do anything they want with it.

Comment

Not a problem. I don't know how to do any of it myself, and in no way want any type of credit or anything. I thought it would be nice to have k9copy back in the Ubuntu repositories again is all. Thank you so much for your work!! It's exactly what some of us have wanted!

Comment

Originally posted by squakie View Post
                            Thank you so much for your work!!
                            Your welcome

Comment

At least there is one PPA to install K9Copy in recent (K)Ubuntu versions, although I haven't tried it:
                              https://launchpad.net/~cwbennech-gmail/+archive/ppa
                              https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/k9copy

Comment

Working...
                              X