This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Screen after login

I have an old pc with a old nvidia TNT graphic card.
    I installed kubuntu 12.10 (quantal) and upgraded to 13.4 (raring). Everything was fine.
    One night a month ago, I went to the Muon software center and down loaded a few fonts, and some other small thing, a system monitor perhaps, I can't remember. I also dragged a web link on to the desktop.
    The next time I booted up, I got the splash screen and the log in screen. When I log in, it goes black, there is a flash of what looks like a 1" x 1" browser window, then music and a cursor, and a black screen.
    I have logged in as 'guest' and everything works, so assume it is my (bill) desktop that is broken.
    Following suggestions on this forum, I have ctrl+alt+F1 ed, logged in and entered
    startX
    and rebooted to no effect.
    I have
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall lightdm
    and
    sudo dpkg -reconfigure lightdm
    , and
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    , rebooting after each, all to no avail.
    After install kubuntu-desktop and lightdm, I am assured that everything is up to date, "Kubuntu desktop is already the newest version" and lightdm (1.6.0 -0ubuntu3.1)
    One solution would be to download and install 13.10, not a bad idea, really. But any ideas for a fix?

Unless someone else comes with a better idea, you can try the "nuclear" fix by logging into ttl1 and deleting .kde and .cache

Code:
    $ rm -R ~/.kde
    $ rm -R ~/.cache
    $ sudo reboot
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
      Unless someone else comes with a better idea, you can try the "nuclear" fix by logging into ttl1 and deleting .kde and .cache
      Code:
      $ rm -R ~/.kde
      $ rm -R ~/.cache
      $ sudo reboot
      Did this work for you or for anyone with a black screen What happens when you do that Does Kubuntu re-spawn those files

Comment

Working...
      X