This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
    I just tried searching by name or word in the file. This is powerful! I didn't realize I could do this.
    It is a result of the indexing capabilities of nepomuk and strigi.

http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

I double click to select. Sometimes my clicking finger doesn't care to stop at one press. In Dolphin, if the file I was was placed by me, I usually know where it is, but if it is a file placed the the OS, I often resor to using the 'find' feature in Dolphin. Find works a lot better than the search feature in Windows. I don't use Windows search anymore. Agent Ransack fills that role for me. (I give Kubuntu and Windows almost equal time on my computer so I can stay comfortable on both.)
      Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by arist View Post
        .... Now I'm happy with a touchpad. Have you tried one yet? My left hand doesn't tremble as much as my right, and even though I'm right-handed I adapted quickly to using the touchpad with my left....
        I tried the touch pad several times but involuntary "taps" and/or inconsistent pressure forced me to disable it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Single click. I've even changed my wife's Winblows com"pooper" to single.

Comment

You might as well go all the way with your renaming there... com"pooper" --> corn"pooper"

Hey, Feathers...back to your favorite topic again! bwahahahaha
            Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 28, 2013, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Wow, Steve, you've described my wife's purse exactly, except that she doesn't have a Nepomuk index running on it.
              Most purses are RPM-based. So you should try zypper in nepomuk-core or yum install nepomuk-core, 'cause apt-dont-get for handbags.

Comment

So, I have just tested Dolphin's search-feature and must say I'm impressed. It found all the files I wanted in a few seconds (unlike Windows search).
                And that even though I deactivated file-indexing.

Until now I have never been a fan of the search-feature and never really needed it (good old "Ordnung" ) but I can see how comfortable it can be.

Anyway, thanks to (all of) your input I do now understand why "single-click" is standard for KDE. I always thought the Devs only did it to distinguish the (very Windows-like) KDE from Windows.

Comment

Single click, as well as Find you can use Filter which for me is a better option, note the difference in the results when searching for a document.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Find.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	640587. Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	640588

Comment

Originally posted by Caaarl View Post
                    I always thought the Devs only did it to distinguish the (very Windows-like) KDE from Windows.
                    Windows has offered single-click for many years:

Comment

Wow, Steve, you've described my wife's purse exactly, except that she doesn't have a Nepomuk index running on it.
                      Some things have literally disappeared for ever in that bottomless pit!
                      I'm late to this thread but:

+1 and funniest thing I've read today! My wife is exactly the same. Unfortunately, this spills out into the kitchen and other areas of her life that I have to deal with <sigh>. I think she lives in a world best described as a big box with everything thrown in it. It never surprises her when something appears in an oddball location or something isn't where I've said it should be. No matter; I love her dearly. Clearly, it's my issue not hers!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        ... My wife is exactly the same. ...
                        Do ya think it's an X chromosome thing?
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Windows has offered single-click for many years:
                          I didnt even know that ^^. My point was that it is the standard setting in KDE while it is not in Windows.
                          And I believe there is no other Desktop Environment that uses "single click to open" as standard; at least Gnome (3/2), XFCE and LXDE dont. This setting also was the first thing I noticed when first confronted with linux (Open Suse 10.3 – I couldnt and still cannot get along with the package management).

Comment

Do ya think it's an X chromosome thing?
                            In my wife's case it's not genetic at least. Her Mom is very neat and organized. I haven't thought about it too hard - I'm too busy looking for things! LOL!

One time, when I let it get to me and I complained about it, she sald "My Dad used to say the same thing - "A place for every thing and everything in it's place..."." I realized then this was not a battle I was going to win. Now, I just let it be - and have her look for something when I need it

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              You might as well go all the way with your renaming there... com"pooper" --> corn"pooper"

Hey, Feathers...back to your favorite topic again! bwahahahaha
                              FFS, lol.

I use double click because I have to use Windows at work... it's bad enough not having "focus follow the cursor" at work (I scroll the wrong window all the time), I think having different numbers of clicks for opening files would do my head in!

I think the second part of the question was about browsing through files using folders vs directory "trees"; thumbnails vs lists vs details etc.

My answer is it depends what's inside the folder!
                              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                                I use double click because I have to use Windows at work... it's bad enough not having "focus follow the cursor" at work (I scroll the wrong window all the time), I think having different numbers of clicks for opening files would do my head in!
                                Feathers, I showed you how to change Windows so that you can open files with single click.

You can also change the default mouse behavior. There are a couple different ways, and they have slightly different results. Neither is exactly like focus-follows-mouse in X11, but one of these might work for you. See http://douglaswhitaker.com/focus-fol...se-in-windows/ for more information.

Comment

Working...
                                X