This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus PCE-N15 connected to router but no internet access

my wireless card asus pce-n15 connects to my router but I have no internet access. everything seems normal when making the connection.
    the strange thing is that I have no access to the router, when I do ping the router does not respond, I can not access the router settings. but the wireless card does get an ip address.

I tried this solution, but without satisfactory results.

sudo rmmod iwlwifi
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

anyway, my router is not N, so I think that does not work
    post data: the asus pce-n15 has native support for linux.
    Last edited by obedlink; Dec 20, 2013, 10:36 AM.

Could be your routing or resolv.conf.

Open a terminal and enter the command route you should see your router's hostname or IP address in the route list.

I'm not at my linux machine at the moment, but I believe /etc/resolv.conf should have your router listed as nameserver and gateway.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Could be your routing or resolv.conf.

Open a terminal and enter the command route you should see your router's hostname or IP address in the route list.

I'm not at my linux machine at the moment, but I believe /etc/resolv.conf should have your router listed as nameserver and gateway.
      This is the content of resolve.conf
      Code:
      # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
      #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
      nameserver 127.0.1.1
      konsole log:
      Code:
      obed@kubuntu:~$ route
      Tabla de rutas IP del núcleo
      Destino         Pasarela        Genmask         Indic Métric Ref    Uso Interfaz
      default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan0
      192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     9      0        0 wlan0
      obed@kubuntu:~$

Comment

So your nameserver is pointed at your localhost.

Go to /etc/resolv.d (I think - doing this from memory!) and look for "tail". Add "nameserver 192.168.1.1" or whatever IP your router is to it and restart networking or reboot. Check results after.

Please Read Me

Comment

Go to /etc/resolv.d (I think - doing this from memory!) and look for "tail". Add "nameserver 192.168.1.1" or whatever IP your router is to it and restart networking or reboot. Check results after.
          do you want that I do this?
          Code:
          nameserver 127.0.1.1
          nameserver 192.168.1.1

Comment

Do you have internet access yet? I'm not sure if the 127.0.1.1 entry will cause problems or not. I always remove networkmanager on my desktop and configure by hand because I use a non-standard configuration.

Please Read Me

Comment

Do you have internet access yet? I'm not sure if the 127.0.1.1 entry will cause problems or not. I always remove networkmanager on my desktop and configure by hand because I use a non-standard configuration.
              no, I dont have internet
              I will try use the lastest image of kubuntu 14.04

Comment

screenshot for more information

as you can see, I can connect to router, router client list displays the MAC address of Wireless card is authorized and associate. all good.
                the wi-fi card got the address 192.168.1.9, the only strange thing is the transfer rate 1MBit / s.

Now with the picture, maybe you can help

I find it strange that the wireless card get an ip but can not access the router

compiling the drivers downloaded from asus.com, I get these errors, I have installed build-essential.
                Code:
                obed@kubuntu-14:~/Linux$ sudo su
                [sudo] password for obed: 
                root@kubuntu-14:/home/obed/Linux# make
                make -C /lib/modules/3.12.0-7-generic/build M=/home/obed/Linux modules
                make[1]: se ingresa al directorio «/usr/src/linux-headers-3.12.0-7-generic»
                  CC [M]  /home/obed/Linux/base.o
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c: In function ‘_rtl_init_mac80211’:
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c:319:6: error: ‘IEEE80211_HW_BEACON_FILTER’ undeclared (first use in this function)
                      IEEE80211_HW_BEACON_FILTER |
                      ^
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c:319:6: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c: In function ‘rtl_action_proc’:
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c:858:32: error: ‘struct ieee80211_conf’ has no member named ‘channel’
                       rx_status.freq = hw->conf.channel->center_freq;
                                                ^
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c:859:32: error: ‘struct ieee80211_conf’ has no member named ‘channel’
                       rx_status.band = hw->conf.channel->band;
                                                ^
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c:861:25: error: ‘RX_FLAG_MACTIME_MPDU’ undeclared (first use in this function)
                       rx_status.flag |= RX_FLAG_MACTIME_MPDU;
                                         ^
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c: In function ‘rtl_send_smps_action’:
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c:1414:16: error: ‘struct <anonymous>’ has no member named ‘sta’
                   info->control.sta = sta;
                                ^
                /home/obed/Linux/base.c:1415:24: error: ‘struct ieee80211_conf’ has no member named ‘channel’
                   info->band = hw->conf.channel->band;
                                        ^
                make[2]: *** [/home/obed/Linux/base.o] Error 1
                make[1]: *** [_module_/home/obed/Linux] Error 2
                make[1]: se sale del directorio «/usr/src/linux-headers-3.12.0-7-generic»
                make: *** [all] Error 2
                root@kubuntu-14:/home/obed/Linux#

Comment

This has been normal ever since 12.04 (blueprint, explanation).

Originally posted by obedlink View Post
                  do you want that I do this?
                  Code:
                  nameserver 127.0.1.1
                  nameserver 192.168.1.1
                  No, don't do that. /etc/resolv.conf is a symbolic link to /run/resolvconf/resolv.con, which is created when the system boots and is updated as new connections appear. It gracefully handles DNS servers when connecting to VPNs.

Name resolution is handled by dnsmasq, a caching-only name resolver installed on the system. That's why resolv.conf now points to localhost's IP.

Comment

I tried this solution, but without satisfactory results.

sudo rmmod iwlwifi
                    sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
                    That won't have any effect because iwlwifi is the driver module for Intel wi-fi cards.

compiling the drivers downloaded from asus.com
                    You shouldn't have to build drivers. According to what I've read, the Asus PCE-N15 is supported by the driver module rtl8192ce. Furthermore, it is not uncommon that cards using this driver operate unreliably in Linux. Disabling the hardware encryption can help solve a number of weird problems. Create the file /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8192ce.conf and include the following line:
                    Code:
                    options rtl8192ce swenc=1
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 08, 2014, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      That won't have any effect because iwlwifi is the driver module for Intel wi-fi cards.

You shouldn't have to build drivers. According to what I've read, the Asus PCE-N15 is supported by the driver module rtl8192ce. Furthermore, it is not uncommon that cards using this driver operate unreliably in Linux. Disabling the hardware encryption can help solve a number of weird problems. Create the file /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8192ce.conf and include the following line:
                      Code:
                      options rtl8192ce swenc=1
                      I have create the file, I rebooted the PC and the problem continues
                      How do I disable hardware encryption?

Comment

Let's make sure that is, in fact, the driver chosen by the kernel. Please show the output of:
                        Code:
                        sudo lshw -C net

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          Let's make sure that is, in fact, the driver chosen by the kernel. Please show the output of:
                          Code:
                          sudo lshw -C net
                          Code:
                          obed@kubuntu-14:~$ sudo lshw -C net
                            *-network               
                                 description: Ethernet interface
                                 product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                                 vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                                 physical id: 0
                                 bus info: pci@0000:07:00.0
                                 logical name: eth0
                                 version: 06
                                 serial: 8c:89:a5:2a:27:e2
                                 size: 100Mbit/s
                                 capacity: 1Gbit/s
                                 width: 64 bits
                                 clock: 33MHz
                                 capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
                                 configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl8168e-3_0.0.4 03/27/12 ip=192.168.1.6 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
                                 resources: irq:51 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:d0004000-d0004fff memory:d0000000-d0003fff
                            *-network
                                 description: Wireless interface
                                 product: RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
                                 vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
                                 physical id: 0
                                 bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
                                 logical name: wlan0
                                 version: 01
                                 serial: f4:6d:04:a2:9f:dd
                                 width: 64 bits
                                 clock: 33MHz
                                 capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                                 configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192ce driverversion=3.12.0-7-generic firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.2 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
                                 resources: irq:19 ioport:c000(size=256) memory:fb300000-fb303fff
                          obed@kubuntu-14:~$
                          firmware=N/A?? is correct this information?

Comment

Since network manager doesn't work for me, I add my router IP to /etc/resolv.d/tail as nameserver and this works for me just fine. I can;t recall ot the moment if I removed localhost or not, but it hasn't effected my ability to connect so I guess I'm OK at the moment.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, so we are using rtl8192ce. Please change /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8192ce to this:
                              Code:
                              options rtl8192ce swenc=1 ips=0 swlps=0 fwlps=0
                              firmware=N/A?? is correct this information?
                              Hm...what's the output of
                              Code:
                              apt-cache policy linux-firmware

ls -al /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
                              Last edited by SteveRiley; Jan 10, 2014, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X