This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can KDE do sideways menus?

I tried to do a right-side panel, but much of it doesn't really look good or work efficiently. With the loss of "normal" 4x3 screens, we're stuck with rather unusable areas to both sides. Add to that, transparency and a pop-out menu and the side area becomes useful. Problem is the panel won't allow side-by-side widgets.

See the screen shot and you'll note that while the Task Manager and System Tray work well, the Clock is rather large and the Kmenu, Quick Browser, Activities, etc. all occupy an entire line alone.

Anyone know a way to get the panel widgets to line-up sideways? Alternately, some sort of within-panel containment or a customizable combo widget would do it.
    Attached Files

Please Read Me

reduce the hight ,,,or in this case width of the panel ....yes /no

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

oops ,,,thought you were asking how to get it all to line up in a row ,,,,,,,,,,,,,my bad

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No sure what you mean side by side, The quicklaunch menu can be adjusted to number of rows, but no way to have task manager do that. Her eis mine, that is pretty tidy.
        Attached Files
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

That's pretty close! Of course, I can't put widget's into quick launch but I might be able to create menu entries for the items I want and then add them to it. Thanks Rich - good idea.

EDIT:

The side-by-side referred to the Lancelot, Kmenu, Activities, etc. widget that can't occupy the same horizontal line when using a panel with a left-side or right-side orientation. Look at the image I posted above and see the top two icons are vertically aligned with beaucoup space to either side. I would like the option to have a horizontal alignment, i.e those widget icons side-by-side.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 17, 2013, 10:18 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Got it. I do not know a way to do that. Maybe creating another panel, putting it horizontal and positioning it to the side of the vertical panel?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by richb; Dec 18, 2013, 06:48 AM.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

Or set the taskbar widget to always have 2 rows, perhaps?
              I'll try this later. I have a small, vertical panel on the right of my XMBC box that auto-hides, two columns would actually be nice for what I use it for.

Sent from my DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Working...
              X