X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root actions service menu[s]. Problem.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=72762
    http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=48411 (Worked in 12.04 & 13.04)

Both the above don't function for me in Kubuntu 13.10.
    Not too serious as Krusader in root mode works well enough.
    The convenience of having the root actions readily available via the context menu was welcome.
    I had no trouble with Kubuntu 12.04 and 13.04 and am having misgivings that 'it's only me'
    with 13.10.

Please help us to help you

Please read: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...W-GUY-lt-lt-lt

Please - be specific.

How did you install ?
    What is the input and what is the output ?
    How they are not working ?
    Have you tried to contact the developers ?

About the Root Actions Servicemenu at here.
    ( http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=48411 )

Installation: Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > Sevices > Download New Services > Install rootactions

There should be password query.

If the installation was successful.

In you home ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/ should have two desktop files.

The executable perl file should be in the /usr/bin/.

Shut down all Dolphin windows and restart a Dolphin. There should be the Root actions service menu...

Earlier: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post341105
    Last edited by Rog132; Dec 15, 2013, 05:10 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks for your time Rog132 !

I have always, in the past installed exactly as per your s/shots, or manually without issue. Anyway, just tried again and now everything is hunky-dory.
      Damned if I know what went wrong before - I had the context menu entries, was asked for password but then nothing happened.
      Tested and all fine now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	root actions works.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	640567

Oops, spoke to soon. It will work for a while and then hangs i.e. nothing. When I log out and back in I get this popup..
      Attached Files
      Last edited by weha; Dec 15, 2013, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Isn't ruby needed for install of the service menus?
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

kdesudo problem ?

Buddlespit
          Isn't ruby needed for install of the service menus?
          Yes, the 'Download New Services' is using ruby scripts.
          The Dolphin package is recommending the installation of the ruby. Recommended packages are installed as default with the Ubuntu.

Damned if I know what went wrong before - I had the context menu entries, was asked for password but then nothing happened.
          Tested and all fine now...

...Oops, spoke to soon. It will work for a while and then hangs i.e. nothing...
          When the service menu is hanging - try to use the kdesudo from the konsole:
          Code:
          kdesudo dolphin
          or
          Code:
          kdesudo konsole
          Is the Dolphin/Konsole starting or do you get some kind of error message ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post

When the service menu is hanging - try to use the kdesudo from the konsole:
            Code:
            kdesudo dolphin
            or
            Code:
            kdesudo konsole
            Is the Dolphin/Konsole starting or do you get some kind of error message ?
            Both work fine when doing the above, i.e. I get root dolphin and a root konsole.
            It seems as though you may have also experienced the hanging when clicking on those particular menu entries ?

There are some 'errors' in the konsole output, but they seem to be of no relevance.

Code:
            ~$ kdesudo konsole
            Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
            QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
            QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
            ~$ kdesudo dolphin
            Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
            QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
            QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
            "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD740GD_00FLC0_WD_WMAKE2062696" : property "Drive" does not exist 
            "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/ATAPI___iHAS120___6_ATAPI_iHAS120_6" : property "Drive" does not exist 
            "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/drives/WDC_WD1500HLFS_01G6U0_WD_WXL209016263" : property "Drive" does not exist 
            QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap

Comment

You are already in konsole when issuing that command, so it won't work. You can launch Konsole 'as root' by pressing Alt+F2 and typing: kdesudo konsole.

Another method, after launching Konsole normally, is to change to the root environment by typing: sudo su -
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Trying to get some error messages - part 2

When the service menu is hanging try to launch the Root action from the konsole:
                Code:
                rootactions-servicemenu.pl open_with defaultfm /home
                If it is working - it should open the default file manager to the /home as root.

If it is not working - maybe it shows some error messages.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                  When the service menu is hanging try to launch the Root action from the konsole:
                  Code:
                  rootactions-servicemenu.pl open_with defaultfm /home
                  If it is working - it should open the default file manager to the /home as root.

If it is not working - maybe it shows some error messages.
                  Hasn't been hanging for a while, so only checked launching rootactions-servicemenu.pl open_with defaultfm /home
                  from terminal during a working instance of the menu.
                  There are plenty messages, but they seem to have absolutely no bearing on the functioning. ~/ was launched as root.

I think I will just use Krusader - never had any trouble. A great file manager. Thanks for your interest and support Rog132.

Comment

Working...
                  X