Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Agree That Kubuntu Should be Renamed - If So, What Name?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richb View Post
    I must be a completely uncultured boob, I do not get that video at all.
    Teunis posted some stuff about chicken; it reminded me of the misheard lyrics video that I had just watched half an hour before I read his post and I still had my own performance of that music in mind. Thus, saliency.

Watch this performance of the full cantata. It's riveting stuff, the percussion section in the orchestra is fantastic, and Seiji Ozawa is amazing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DgS75lfmw

Now watch the Trans-Siberian Orchestra deliver their rendition of "O Fortuna":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Qie_tgez8

I'm pretty sure Carl Orff would have been proud

Comment

How about, if it is KDE based on Debian Sid:

BlueDeSK

BlueDebianSidKDE

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
        How about, if it is KDE based on Debian Sid:

BlueDeSK

BlueDebianSidKDE

woodsmoke
        My main problem is, that it implies our system is based on a Debian development cycle which is Unstable. Is that what Ubuntu has done in the past and will it continue to do so in the future?
        Last edited by NoWorries; Dec 25, 2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Gosh, gee, I can tell that no one liked my suggestion ... KubuntuRenamed ...
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
            The main problem is that I have is that it implies our system is based on a Debian development cycle which is Unstable. Is that what Ubuntu has done in the past and will it continue to do so in the future?
            https://help.ubuntu.com/13.10/instal...ntu-and-debian

Ubuntu makes a release every six months, and supports those releases for 18 months with daily security fixes and patches to critical bugs.

As Ubuntu prepares for release, we “freeze” a snapshot of Debian's development archive (“sid”). We start from “sid” in order to give ourselves the freedom to make our own decisions with regard to release management, independent of Debian's release-in-preparation. This is necessary because our release criteria are very different from Debian's.

As a simple example, a package might be excluded from Debian “testing” due to a build failure on any of the 11 architectures supported by Debian “sarge”, but it is still suitable for Ubuntu if it builds and works on only three of them. A package will also be prevented from entering Debian “testing” if it has release-critical bugs according to Debian criteria, but a bug which is release-critical for Debian may not be as important for Ubuntu.

As a community, we choose places to diverge from Debian in ways that minimize the difference between Debian and Ubuntu. For example, we usually choose to update to the very latest version of Gnome rather than the older version in Debian, and we might do the same for key other pieces of infrastructure such as X or GCC. Those decisions are listed as Feature Goals for that release, and we work as a community to make sure that they are in place before the release happens.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification of the way ubuntu is developed from Debian's Sid software source. I couldn't help wonder while I was reading it, what would happen in 2014 when the graphical interface used by Debian digresses from that used by Canonical? Hopefully we do not get mired down with this difference, if we source our packages from Canonical. It will be great if Blue Systems has the manpower to pick and choose the packages from Canonical and prepare others specifically required for Wayland in 2014.

Given the potential changes in this area, we need to be prepared to consider changing the name "Kubuntu". I am not in favour of the name BlueDeSK as to me it does not sound like a software package. Rather it implies a Blue Desk.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                what would happen in 2014 when the graphical interface used by Debian digresses from that used by Canonical?
                I think you meant to type this the other way around, with modifications: "...when the [GUI] used by Canonical digresses from that used by [every other Linux distribution]?"

Debian will continue to build the X Window System even as Wayland begins to trickle in. The base X stack, as well as the X-Swat and Xorg-Edgers PPAs, will continue to sync the source code from Debian. The various *buntu flavors will continue distributing these builds of X until the underlying toolkits and window managers are ready for the switch over to Wayland.

Comment

The Grey one mentioned Kwheezy so I gave a look see at some reviews:

The combination of the KDE desktop with a lot of useful software and Debian's rock solid base is a winning formula.
                  Now, he really was not pleased with all the "eye candy" he said that his tastes run to basically.............not much on the desktop, and that it is "heavy", because they have thrown everything plus the kitchen sink, but he also said that providing codecs and flash from the get-go was a great idea.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?is...131021#feature

wooddidn'thaveenoughfreeroomonmyharddrivefortheDVD isololsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                  X