Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Agree That Kubuntu Should be Renamed - If So, What Name?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post
    Rick Spencer and Jono Bacon, very senior Canonical employees, have just confirmed to me in a UDS session that the Ubuntu flavours are and always will be part of the Ubuntu community. Why all the talk about a new name?
    I cannot see why a new name is not possible as I believe that it could lead to an increase in market acceptance for Kubuntu. An example of a distribution that uses ubuntu repositories but does not have ubuntu in its name is Linux Mint. I did a quick search for those distributions that did use ubuntu repositories and I found a VERY LONG list here. The number that have ubuntu as part of their name is in the minority. I am still concerned that as Canonical pursue their Mir/Unity integration that we will have problems using some of their ppa's as Wayland is incorporated into KDE.

Sadly I will now to resign from these forums. I'll be reporting my post to the admin/moderator team so that my account can be disabled. I'm very disappointed with the views of many of the forum members here. I really don't know why some of you are here.

Please move on, stop bashing Ubuntu/Canonical.
    When you are confronted with something unexpected, it always pays to pause a while before taking any drastic action. I for one would be very disappointed if you decided to leave because of this issue. From the references in my post that started this topic, there was a lot of bashing coming from Canonical and I have not intentionally "bashed" Canonical but I have criticised the path that they have taken. I believe, like others, that the actions Canonical have taken divide the community. Please Don't Leave.
    Last edited by NoWorries; Nov 21, 2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      Years ago someone extracted the overriding colour from all pictures he found on the net and the average colour was... the human skin
      Human skin manifests itself in a plethora of colors -- it's difficult to conceive of an average here.

Comment

Rick Spencer and Jono Bacon, very senior Canonical employees, have just confirmed to me in a UDS session that the Ubuntu flavours are and always will be part of the Ubuntu community. Why all the talk about a new name?

Sadly I will now to resign from these forums. I'll be reporting my post to the admin/moderator team so that my account can be disabled. I'm very disappointed with the views of many of the forum members here. I really don't know why some of you are here.

A drive-by shooting?

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...ry/005782.html

Today I bring the disappointing news that Canonical will no longer be
        funding my work on Kubuntu after 12.04.
        Canonical wants to treat
        Kubuntu in the same way as the other community flavors such as
        Edubuntu, Lubuntu, and Xubuntu, and support the projects with
        infrastructure. This is a big challenge to Kubuntu of course and KDE
        as well.

The practical changes are I won't be able to work on KDE bits in my
        work time after 12.04 and there won't be paid support for versions
        after 12.04. This is a rational business decision, Kubuntu has not
        been a business success after 7 years of trying
        , and it is unrealistic
        to expect it to continue to have financial resources put into it.
        Well, Kubuntu doesn't need Canonical's approval to base itself off of Ubuntu, and when Canonical stopped funding Kubuntu it was left to sink or swim by itself. So, if that's what "being treated like other community flavors" means then you will have to define what "being part of the Ubuntu community" means. As far as not being a "business success after 7 years", one could make the same statement about Ubuntu for the last 9 years.

So, FMPOV, after Canonical cut Kubuntu loose, Kubuntu has no obligation to behave as if it were still a sheep in Canonical's fold, dependent on it for protection and sustenance. We can thank and appreciate Blue System for picking up Kubuntu.

Your drive-by still didn't answer the question as to what Kubuntu will have to do if Ubuntu+Unity+Mir goes so far out on that limb (or island) that Modifying KDE and/or Ubuntu to allow KDE to sit on top of Ubuntu would be more work than it is worth and another distro as a base would offer more benefits.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 22, 2013, 02:41 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          A drive-by shooting?
          Yes, unfortunately:

Comment

Geez, he acted like you guys were talking about his mother. Last time I checked, KFN didn't support that sort of censorship.

Please Read Me

Comment

If we are bashing Canonical, then evidence of what "outsiders" think can be found in this comparison of openSUSE 13.1 vs Ubuntu 13.10: a friendly match. I think this comparison was using OpenSUSE's KDE desktop versus Ubuntu's Unity desktop. Naturally SUSE got more points than Ubuntu, ie 8 for OpenSUSE 13.1 to 4 for Ubuntu 13.10.

In this comparison the comment is made

Canonical has strained relationship with Debian in the early days, they have stained relationship with Gnome, Banshee, KDE, Xorg (Wayland), FSF and lately EFF also joined this list.

Except for the Dash online integration I don’t remember any incident when anyone from the open source community attacked Canonical or Ubuntu. It was always an attack from Canonical – whether it was the email sent to openSUSE developers after the Microsoft deal, or ‘pissing’ on Wayland, demanding more cut from Banshee, assault on SystemD, assault on Red Hat, pricking KDE developers or belief that since Intel is now a competitor of Ubuntu (due to Tizen), they did not accept XMir patches.

All of this takes Ubuntu/Canonical further from the open source community and alienates them – no wonder why no one from the open source community came forward to endorse Ubuntu Edge.
              These issueshave already been made on this forum and it is because of these issues, I started this post. Time will tell if SABDFL's decisions succeed or not. I continue to hope that we move forward and that a renamed "Kubuntu" is more readily chosen for reviews and comparisons.

Comment

how about:

Klatou Deklado Elekto

which, in medieval scientific latin means:

one desk elect.

or Kinemetic Diamante Emprise

or

moving glittering undertaking

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I am not sure that a name with 3 words is appropriate, let alone a sentence to rename Kubuntu.

After all, the Africans seem to be more sophisticated in that, as I understand it, the phrase: 'I am what I am because of who we all are' means ubuntu. Is there some other language where there is a single word to encapsulate your phrases 'one desk elect.' or 'moving glittering undertaking'.

Thanks for spending time to find an alternative name.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post

Dude. All in one day? LOL

Comment

LOL, I wasn't really serious about them, I was just trying to lighten the thread a little.. they refer to a certain film! lol But they have "K" in them! lol

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I thought of these while on the trip to the American Chemical Society conference.

All of them involve, in some way, the letters "K", or "KDE"(not necessarily in that order, or "D" for Debian.

OR just may be a nice sounding word that implies motion, movement, etc.

Kinemaic
                        Diamante
                        Emprise
                        EmpriseUndertaKen
                        Flo
                        Konfluence
                        DeltaK
                        KalieDoscopE
                        KiDomEr...a takeoff on "Kitomer"
                        Kovariant
                        KuDOS .... KDE upon Debian OS
                        KoDEc
                        KenDo.........obvious takeoff on the oriental martial arts
                        aKcellerate
                        KaDet
                        Kosine
                        DeKa........... KDE backwards and inside out
                        KDIA
                        KANDE
                        KANOE
                        fabriK
                        roKa
                        Kartwheel............kind of a silly!
                        ROTA
                        KORDA
                        EKOS.........somewhat of a takeoff on "Oikos" the Greek for "house" and the science "Ecology"
                        DEKOS........... KDE inside out and backward
                        KORDA
                        DELKO
                        DELKOS
                        PLEKOS

KDEA came across my summat fatigued mind but I dismissed it for rather obvious reasons! LOL

woodcrossEDKsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Um, how about.... iKDEa? Nah, too Swedish. Suddenly, I've got a hankering for furniture store meatballs. BRB!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Um, how about.... iKDEa? Nah, too Swedish. Suddenly, I've got a hankering for furniture store meatballs. BRB!
                            The ones with horsemeat in them? Lol
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Also with the meatballs, all the furniture is packaged in a flat-pack and you have to have basic skills to assemble it. Just like installing "Kubuntu" or whatever you want to call it.

Great to see such "thought" being put into an alternative name. What about a diversion to names that incorporate Blue Systems in the name rather than focusing on KDE and Debian.

On another related point, I have been puzzled for some time now as to who or why there are 5 stars on the title to this thread. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Comment

Well BluKu comes to mind it kind of sounds like beaucoup (pronounced "boo koo" meaning "plenty".

woodbluevelvetsmoke
                                sigpic
                                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                                X