X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon View Post
    https://01.org/linuxgraphics/node/238

According to that link they are working on it. But now this is back to wait and see.

In the meantime...
    You said the laptop display is not working but the TV is working correct? Can you upload a screen capture to show the issues you are looking at on your end. I don't know 13.10 or 13.04 versions but you should have Ksnapshot or some kind of screen capture. If that doesn't show the exact problem you could use a digital camera and upload that image.
    good to know they're working on it.
    uploading a video on youtube to show you exactly how this problem looks like (warning: bad english included, still I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say there)
    ----
    edit here's the video I made
    Last edited by ovidiugr; Nov 04, 2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Better English than my Japanese ... according to my father. Once again, I will remind everyone I am not an expert at this stuff, my degree is in genetics.

First try this simple solution and see if it works;

Using xrandr after duplicating the desktop try; xrandr --output LVDS1 --scale 1.3x1.0

I am hoping this scales the laptop display only stretching it across by the needed 1⅓ ratio. Don't be afraid to play with xrandr as a reboot will undo the changes. The command xrandr --help gives you more information than you would want but it is there.

PLAN B

Let's also look into a possible Xorg solution for this issue. The xorg.conf is not on your machine as you told me at the beginning. You can create one using the: sudo X -configure in terminal. No changes will be made to your system this only creates a text file call xorg.conf in the directory you are currently working. Best to make it in the home directory.

Once you do that from your home directory you should be able to see it in the directory. It is a text file and while it might not make much sense, you can paste it here. What I am proposing is using a virtual setting on laptop display so to "trick" the laptop display into a 16:9 format. Posted below is part of my own xorg.conf that I use to trick my monitor into displaying a larger than possible resolution.

Code:
      Section "Screen"
      	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
      	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
      	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
      	DefaultDepth     24
      	SubSection "Display"
      		Viewport   0 0
      		Depth     24
      		Virtual   2720 1536
      	EndSubSection
      EndSection
      For if I told my graphics card to display 2720 x 1536 it would, but my TV can only handle 1360 x 768. So this tells the graphics card to broadcast a 1360 x 768 but allows for the virtual to render to the screen. The drawback is the tiny fonts don't look so good. But I do this so the software can capture at higher resolution and not for appearance. Since your TV displays a resolution of 1920x1080 you would need to set up a virtual display for your laptop monitor to display the same.

To test your xorg file you need to copy it to the /etc/X11 directory and reboot. To do this; sudo cp xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      If it somehow fails you can edit the one in your home directory and try again or remove the file using; sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Comment

Problem "solved".
        Solution:

after several attempts I've come to the conclusion that these 2 lines produce the closest result to what I expect:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --scale 1.334x1.0
        xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1366x768

so I created a rezolutie.sh file with these 2 lines and I run it everytime I need it (because I don't need it all the time, sometimes I prefer to have things in extended mode)
        -----------------

I repeat, this is the closest I could get to similar rezults that I had no trouble to getting in Windows 8.1 (when I used it), these are not perfect results, but close to perfect.
        I do realize that this (Kubuntu) is free software and I don't expect things to run as smoothly all the time, but the resolution one is an old "bug" and prevented me from using Ubuntu/Kubuntu since I often use the TV.
        The "bug" was present in Ubuntu 13.04 (older versions had other worser bugs as well) and I hoped it got fixed by now, but who knows, most likely Kubuntu 14.04 will be even easyer to use.
        Fortunately I had the time and patience and you guys did also take your time in helping me and offering me free support, and I thank you for that.

And I hope until this "bug" gets fixed maybe the solution above will help others facing similar problems.

Thank you @Simon and @oshunluvr for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X