This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scratching my head -- weird color scheme for Synaptic

I'm running Kubuntu 13.04 on an Acer Chromebook. Everything's great, except for one thing that has me scratching my head--the weird, ugly, definitely NOT my choice of color schemes for Synaptic. Specifically, its menubar items, such as File or Edit are black. Selecting any menubar item yields a black dropdown menu. And items within Synaptic are highlighted in orange.

I do not know where it's getting its instructions to give me this awful color scheme!

I have a super-finely-tuned version of QtCurve that I take with me from computer to computer; the Chromebook is my ONLY computer with this awful, black and orange coloration for Synaptic. I've fiddled with my GTK settings as well as every imaginable color setting, but to no avail. If I could just figure out WHICH configuration setting is controlling this, I'd be good to go. Any ideas?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

did you ,,,will in the GTK settings set the GTK3 theme to oxygen-gtk as well ?

VINNY
    Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 30, 2013, 05:12 PM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I was having issue with pulse audio volume control looking horrible until,,,,,,,,,,,(well I did 2 things so not shure whitch one did it ) I set the system settings>application appearance>GTK>select a GTK3 theme> to exigent-gtk to match the GTK2 theme AND made a file named ".gtkrc-2.0" in my home with the contents
      include "/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

gtk-theme-name="oxygen-gtk"
      now it is a nice match to the system

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hey there, Vinny. Thanks for the input. Yep, I've tried oxygen-gtk -- along with a bunch of others! Nothing I've done changes the horrible color scheme in Synaptic. However, I have NOT tried your other suggestion, i.e., the file named ~/.gtkrc-2.0. Off to do that now...
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Thanks, Vinny! That did it. I already had a ~/.gtkrc-2.0, and it already contained a reference to something else, but once I added your:

Code:

and logged out and back in, Synaptic looked great! No more awful black menus and orange highlighting.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
            Thanks, Vinny! That did it. I already had a ~/.gtkrc-2.0, and it already contained a reference to something else, but once I added your:

Code:

and logged out and back in, Synaptic looked great! No more awful black menus and orange highlighting.
            Code:
            < sweet glad it helped >
             ----------------------
               \
                \
                    .--.
                   |o_o |
                   |:_/ |
                  //   \ \
                 (|     | )
                /'\_   _/`\
                \___)=(___/