This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdeconnect....wow!

A little program called kdeconnect has made it into the repos in Saucy. Its still in its infancy, but I have high hopes for it. It allows you to connect your Android phone to your KDE computer through a local wifi network. Its extremely easy to set up and although it doesnt have a lot of features yet it allows you to share clipboard material, control media players from your phone, and do a few other things. Hopefully data sharing and more advanced features will come along soon enough. A short video about it:
    http://larsemil.se/small-howto-on-kd...ct-and-ubuntu/

that is quite cool .........cant wate for it to get better.

you can SSH and scp to&from your Android now with the shell app .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Has anybody using this been able to share files? Apparently you can, but I cant get it to work

Comment

Please see this thread:

Yes, one can transfer a file automagically to the pc from an Android Phone

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...hlight=connect

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I got it a while back. The problem was that the version of KDE Connect on my Kubuntu box was an older version that didnt support this feature. Im now running the latest and greatest and everything works perfectly.

Comment

The link in your first post says that KDE connect is now in the repos (13.10+), so you don't have to compile it, but I can't find it... is it in a PPA?

Feathers
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Its in the standard repos, package name kdeconnect-kde.

Comment

Thanks, I had been looking for kde-connect, I read somewhere else that that was the package name!
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I have kdeconnect installed on my Android phone and on my desktop computer, and I can't figure out how to connect them. When I run the command given in the tutorial,
                  Code:
                  qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule kdeconnect
                  I get the error message
                  Code:
                  qdbus: could not find a Qt installation of ''
                  The phone used to have "kubuntu" listed as a unpaired device. I managed to get the two paired only once: now the phone doesn't show the desktop at all.

The phone does show up in System Settings in Hardware/Devices. There I can Request pair, but it always times out.

What did you all do to connect?

Comment

I don't think you actually need to do that any more.

Try this: Click on your desktop, then type "KDE connect". You should have two things show up as results in the bar at the top (I can never remember what it's called). Try opening both, one is a widget, which you can drag onto your panel.

When both devices are connected to the same WiFi network, you should be able to send a pair request from either the phone or the widget, and a message will appear on the other device.

Worked both ways round for me.
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Nice!
                      I hadn't heard of this application and it is very helpful.
                      Never before was it so easy to get my pictures and documents from the Nexus-4&7 to my laptop.

The multimedia front end seems to 'only' work with Spotify and Dragon Player?
                      The last one is not exactly the best...

I hope the next iteration will allow sharing from KDE to Android.

It was easy to establish a connection between Android devices but I haven't found anything useful to do with it, nor a place to 'Unpair' the devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        Nice!
                        I hadn't heard of this application and it is very helpful.
                        Never before was it so easy to get my pictures and documents from the Nexus-4&7 to my laptop.

The last one is not exactly the best...
                        It should also work with Amarok.

hope the next iteration will allow sharing from KDE to Android.

It was easy to establish a connection between Android devices but I haven't found anything useful to do with it, nor a place to 'Unpair' the devices.
                        For KDE to Android, use Samba. I use ES File Explorer on my Android and can browse through all my folders on my computer.

To unpair the devices on your phone, click on the device you wish to unpair under Remembered Devices. From the next screen, click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner and click on unpair.
                        Last edited by whatthefunk; Feb 07, 2014, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Works with Amarok for me too!
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Indeed Amarok is also supported, thanks for the tip.
                            Though I'm not a big fan of the program, even on this i7 it's a dog.
                            Normally I use Mplayer, very light, plays anything and has the best hotkey support.

KDEconnect can even switch between the radio stations in Amarok, nice

I just noticed with both Nexus' connected both can control the same player.

Thanks for the instructions where to unpair, a bit hidden al right!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                              The last one is not exactly the best....
                              Do you mean the remote control? It also works with Audacious and Clementine.

Comment

Working...
                              X