This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hibernat option

Why can't I choose to hibernate when exiting Kubuntu and will Saucy hibernate once I figure out how to fix my system so it will stop erring out when runing dist-upgrade?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/13.04/ubuntu...hibernate.html

Hibernation is broken on a lot of laptop models, so they disabled it.
    You can test and re-enable it following the instructions in the link above.

Comment

The test worked however after following the instructions to re-enable it, I do not see the option in the KDE menu. Perhaps I need to reboot and they just didn't mention that?
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
        The test worked however after following the instructions to re-enable it, I do not see the option in the KDE menu. Perhaps I need to reboot and they just didn't mention that?
        Sounds likely.

Comment

Nope rebooting didn't work. Whom ever wrote that needs to explain it better as I am probably not noticing something.

Comment

One solution I've seen is to be sure swap is enabled, then add "resume=/dev/sdXX" in the grub GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= line and then run update-grub. Replace sdXX with your install partitiion, Also, KDE doesn't like to hibernate to a swapfile rather than a swap partition, but I doubt you did that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
              Nope rebooting didn't work. Whom ever wrote that needs to explain it better as I am probably not noticing something.
              I just tested on my laptop - you probably did not get the text file name or data 100% correct, is my guess
              I just copied and pasted, using nano

Code:
              sudo nano /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
              then pasted the text into it:
              Code:
              [Re-enable hibernate by default]
              Identity=unix-user:*
              Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
              ResultActive=yes
              Shut down, then booted, once logged in to the desktop,the entry was there

Comment

I'm curious. I've created the file and rebooted. The new hibernate entry in Leave is there -- Suspend to Disk. But, are you sure it will actually work? I ask, because if you have Start with an empty session in System Settings > Startup & Shutdown > Session Management as I do, it defeats hibernation, yes? If 'yes', then how would you ever get hibernation to work?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  I'm curious. I've created the file and rebooted. The new hibernate entry in Leave is there -- Suspend to Disk. But, are you sure it will actually work? I ask, because if you have Start with an empty session in System Settings > Startup & Shutdown > Session Management as I do, it defeats hibernation, yes? If 'yes', then how would you ever get hibernation to work?

Sessions are not the same thing. Hibernate is literally dumping your ram back onto disk, so the exact state of your applications, etc are loaded back into ram instead of doing a login. Your programs and files are returned to the exact state they were when you hibernated.

Saved sessions don't apply as you are not logging in, per se.

Comment

I do not think the session actually closes when you hibernate ,,,,,,more like a snapshot of the system running gets put in swap .

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, what I would expect, and what claydoh describes, isn't what happens for me. I am still required to login to KDM. My desktop appears as it would 'normally' -- without any of the apps I had running when I hibernated. Interesting though, when I launch Chromium, where KFN is my home page, I don't have to log in to KFN as it shows I am still logged in, and, I can navigate within KFN normally, because I am logged in.

Comment

testing @hear with JUST the "sudo pm-hibernate" laptop shuts down ,,,,,,,press power ,,,,,boot back up and grub loads,,,,,,use the Chane load to 13.10's grub ,,,,, start the 13.10 and see resuming from (forgot to note this)((resuming from /dev/by/uuid=xxxxxxx,,,,)) and the system is right back to where it was when I hibernated it with this page open in fire fox ........BUT I have restor prveous session set in system settings ...........going to test with start with empty session next ......

VINNY

:EDIT well with the start with empty session enabeld in system settings>start up & shut down I still get the system back just as it was when hibernated
                        Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 27, 2013, 01:12 PM.
                        16GB RAM

Comment

A bit of sleuthing finds that org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate doesn't exist on my laptop.

Comment

Code:
                            vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ locate org.freedesktop.upower
                            /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy
                            /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.qos.policy
                            nor at hear ..........

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

These are all my /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.* files:
                              Code:
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  19721 Sep 21 14:38 org.freedesktop.accounts.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  48818 Aug  5 16:41 org.freedesktop.color.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1652 Mar  4  2013 org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2073 Oct 17 18:06 org.freedesktop.hostname1.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1472 Oct 17 18:06 org.freedesktop.locale1.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  15055 Oct 17 18:06 org.freedesktop.login1.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 126393 Oct  7 01:57 org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1524 Sep 18 09:59 org.freedesktop.policykit.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1489 Sep 18 09:56 org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2574 Oct 17 18:06 org.freedesktop.timedate1.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 173591 May 24 15:10 org.freedesktop.udisks2.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  19039 Oct  7 07:12 org.freedesktop.udisks.policy
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2290 Oct 23 02:51 [B]org.freedesktop.upower.policy[/B]
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   5133 Oct 23 02:51 [B]org.freedesktop.upower.qos.policy[/B]
                              Also interesting, /var/log/pm-suspend.log shows that hibernate is successful.
                              Code:
                              Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging hibernate hibernate:Linux tanagra 3.11.0-13-generic #20-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 23 07:38:26 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                              Module                  Size  Used by
                              pci_stub               12622  1 
                              vboxpci                23194  0 
                              vboxnetadp             25670  0 
                              vboxnetflt             27613  0 
                              vboxdrv               320455  3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci
                              cuse                   13274  3 
                              parport_pc             32701  0 
                              ppdev                  17671  0 
                              rfcomm                 69070  0 
                              bnep                   19564  2 
                              nfsd                  279192  13 
                              auth_rpcgss            54489  1 nfsd
                              nfs_acl                12837  1 nfsd
                              nfs                   180519  0 
                              lockd                  93583  2 nfs,nfsd
                              sunrpc                271025  27 nfs,nfsd,auth_rpcgss,lockd,nfs_acl
                              fscache                58475  1 nfs
                              dm_crypt               22728  0 
                              joydev                 17377  0 
                              uvcvideo               80885  0 
                              videobuf2_vmalloc      13216  1 uvcvideo
                              videobuf2_memops       13362  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
                              videobuf2_core         40469  1 uvcvideo
                              videodev              133390  2 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core
                              usblp                  18716  0 
                              hp_wmi                 14062  0 
                              sparse_keymap          13948  1 hp_wmi
                              snd_hda_codec_hdmi     41117  1 
                              snd_hda_codec_idt      50341  1 
                              btusb                  28267  0 
                              bluetooth             371880  12 bnep,btusb,rfcomm
                              snd_hda_intel          48171  3 
                              snd_hda_codec         188738  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
                              snd_hwdep              13602  1 snd_hda_codec
                              snd_pcm               102033  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
                              snd_page_alloc         18710  2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
                              snd_seq_midi           13324  0 
                              snd_seq_midi_event     14899  1 snd_seq_midi
                              snd_rawmidi            30095  1 snd_seq_midi
                              intel_powerclamp       14705  0 
                              kvm                   431315  0 
                              snd_seq                61560  2 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_midi
                              lib80211_crypt_tkip    17619  0 
                              psmouse                97626  0 
                              serio_raw              13413  0 
                              snd_seq_device         14497  3 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_midi
                              intel_ips              18470  0 
                              snd_timer              29433  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
                              wl                   4207474  0 
                              snd                    69141  17 snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_device,snd_seq_midi
                              rtsx_pci_ms            18151  0 
                              lib80211               14352  2 wl,lib80211_crypt_tkip
                              memstick               16760  1 rtsx_pci_ms
                              lpc_ich                21080  0 
                              cfg80211              479757  1 wl
                              mei_me                 18421  0 
                              mei                    77692  1 mei_me
                              soundcore              12680  1 snd
                              mac_hid                13205  0 
                              coretemp               13435  0 
                              lp                     17759  0 
                              parport                42299  3 lp,ppdev,parport_pc
                              btrfs                 815968  0 
                              xor                    21411  1 btrfs
                              zlib_deflate           26885  1 btrfs
                              raid6_pq               97812  1 btrfs
                              libcrc32c              12615  1 btrfs
                              hid_generic            12548  0 
                              usbhid                 53014  0 
                              hid                   105818  2 hid_generic,usbhid
                              rtsx_pci_sdmmc         23527  0 
                              i915                  655752  8 
                              i2c_algo_bit           13413  1 i915
                              drm_kms_helper         52651  1 i915
                              microcode              23518  0 
                              drm                   296739  4 i915,drm_kms_helper
                              rtsx_pci               45546  2 rtsx_pci_ms,rtsx_pci_sdmmc
                              r8169                  67341  0 
                              ahci                   25819  3 
                              libahci                31898  1 ahci
                              mii                    13934  1 r8169
                              wmi                    19070  1 hp_wmi
                              video                  19318  1 i915
                                           total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
                              Mem:       7970232    1703256    6266976          0      74088     709612
                              -/+ buffers/cache:     919556    7050676
                              Swap:     12582908          0   12582908
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave hibernate hibernate:
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_grub-common hibernate hibernate:
                              /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_grub-common hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate hibernate hibernate:
                              /etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50unload_alx hibernate hibernate:
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50unload_alx hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/60_wpa_supplicant hibernate hibernate:
                              Selected interface 'eth1'
                              OK
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/60_wpa_supplicant hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules hibernate hibernate:
                              Unloading kernel module wl0...Done.
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock hibernate hibernate:
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock hibernate hibernate: not applicable.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq hibernate hibernate:
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95anacron hibernate hibernate:
                              stop: Unknown instance: 
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95anacron hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95hdparm-apm hibernate hibernate:
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95hdparm-apm hibernate hibernate: not applicable.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led hibernate hibernate:
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led hibernate hibernate: not applicable.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler hibernate hibernate:
                              Kernel modesetting video driver detected, not using quirks.
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler hibernate hibernate: success.

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video hibernate hibernate:
                              /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video hibernate hibernate: success.

Sun Oct 27 10:42:47 AKDT 2013: performing hibernate
                              So why don't I get put back into my desktop straight away like you do?
                              Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 27, 2013, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X