This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network mounting issues

I'm running 13.04 on my new Acer Chromebook, and I have an annoying problem with its networking. I've done everything I normally do, i.e., installed Samba and its various related files, edited smb.conf, created mount points in /mnt, etc. But I'm stuck. Note that Samba is a holdover from back before I switched my mom to K...so there was a window$ box on the network. I have no issues with Samba, therefore I just leave well enough alone, even though it's been years since the last time window$ lived in this house!

The Chromebook's fstab is identical to all my other computers' fstabs. I know it is...I'm lazy, and I did what I always do--copy a good one. All the computers' drives are specified by their IP addresses. Here's a sample line:

//192.168.1.106/compaqAll /mnt/compaq cifs rw,username=[username],password=[password],file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,auto 0 0

But attempting to mount my other computers' drives via fstab yields this (one for each computer's drive I'm trying to mount):

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
    mount error(19): No such device
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
    I recall seeing this before, right after doing a fresh install, and I 'fixed' it by simply installing something(s) that had been missing. Its wording, 'cifs filesystem not supported by the system' has never actually been the case. It's always just meant I had missed a component somewhere along the line, and once I installed the missing component(s) it was fine.

I'm not seeing anything online that actually reflects my situation, to say nothing of fixing it.

So it boils down to being able to see, and access, my other computers on the Chromebook but only via GUI. In other words, Dolphin | Network | Samba Shares | Workgroup displays all the other computers and I can see and access their files. But I CANNOT mount the damned things.

FWIW, I can mount the CB's drive without issue on all my other computers. Just not the other way around.

Ideas?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Look and see if you have cifs-utils installed. Likely you do not.
    Description-en: Common Internet File System utilities
    The SMB/CIFS protocol provides support for cross-platform file sharing with
    Microsoft Windows, OS X, and other Unix systems.
    This package provides utilities for managing mounts of CIFS network
    file systems.

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, I should have mentioned: Yes, it's installed. Not only that, but I've compared the problem laptop with a good laptop, side by side, going down Synaptic [so I can see exactly what's installed] checking for "cifs" and "samba" and so on, comparing all my configuration files [such as smb.conf and fstab], etc. They're IDENTICAL. But their results are not.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Okay, so what does man mount.cifs say about usage?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It confirms that my syntax--which has worked for eons on a slew of other computers--is correct.

Comment

No other ideas? No one?

Comment

Output of:

dmesg | grep cifs

and

lsmod | grep cifs

Please Read Me

Comment

Did you create a /mnt/compaq?
                I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                  She said she did that in the first post.

DYK: Did you install smbnetfs?

Please Read Me

Comment

Also, grep for CIFS as well as cifs

Please Read Me

Comment

A fellow reported it to launchpad (#192701) and another fellow posted his fix -- answer #13
                      https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/192701
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        Output of:

dmesg | grep cifs

and

lsmod | grep cifs
                        Zip. On both counts. And "echo $?" yields a 1 on both counts.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          A fellow reported it to launchpad (#192701) and another fellow posted his fix -- answer #13
                          https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...uestion/192701
                          Thanks, GG. I had already read that page in my search for answers. Unfortunately, answer #13 fails for me immediately, at this:

If you go and look in the directory (on your embedded device (in my case this is a panda board ES Rev B1))

/lib/modules/3.2.0-1411-omap4/kernel/fs/cifs you should see a file cifs.ko.
                          First, of course, mine is not an embedded device, it's just a laptop. But there is no such subdirectory; mine ends at:

/lib/modules/3.4.0/kernel/fs
                          It has subdirectories including fat, fuse, and nls, but no cifs, and then continues to fail as far as other directories/files.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                            She said she did that in the first post.
                            Yep.

DYK: Did you install smbnetfs?
                            Not until you asked! But it didn't help.

Also, grep for CIFS as well as cifs
                            I did. Nope...

Comment

Working...
                            X