This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video problem with 13.10 installation [nvidia?]

I'm trying to install Kubuntu 13.10 64-bit version from DVD, replacing my 12.04 installation. (My attempts to upgrade 12.04 all failed.) I need to modify the partition information. I get to the screen that shows all the partitions and lets me change their properties by clicking on Change. What comes up then is a garbled box that I can't do anything with. I need to make the old partition the root for the new one, and the garbled screen is the place I'd need to do it. (I'm familiar with what it should look like from installing 13.10 on another machine.) The fact that the computer uses nvidia graphics might be relevant.

How can I get around this garbled screen and proceed with the installation? Is there a way to do the installation in text mode?

I posted this query in the Ubuntu forum but no one responded.

My rule of thumb for a install from DVD is, use gparted to reformat the partition for a clean install, then do the install.

Comment

I don't want to disturb the other partitions. All I need to do is to designate the old partition as "/". I don't need to resize, move, or reformat it. The trouble is that the procedure for doing that, while very simple, happens in that garbled box.

Comment

it seams strange that just the 1 window would get garbeld ,,,,,,,,, you did check the md5 of the download right.,,,,and I have read that at least 1 other person hear could not get 13.10 to install (I think because of HD partitioning scheme or RAID maby) and had to install 13.04 update it then upgrade it to 13.10 ,,,,, you may try that.

just out of curiosity what went wrong with trying to just upgrade 12.04 ?-----(doing this you should go 13.04 then 13.10 ) if you run
        Code:
        sudo do-release-upgrade
        it should take you to 13.04 using the -d switch would go 13.10 .........I think

VINNY

EDIT: OOPS 13.10 is a release now so the "do-release-upgrade may take you strate their ,,,,,,the -d is for development release.
        Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 23, 2013, 02:47 PM.
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Upgrading 12.04 didn't work

Upgrading 12.04 was what I tried first. The upgraded version started up but then ran into a loop on the login screen that was due to problems with the nvidia graphics hardware (on an older motherboard). The particular problems I had would probably only be encountered by someone with similar graphics hardware (in my case, on the motherboard itself). I eventually managed to guess my way through the garbled screen and get the partition to be reformatted and mounted as /. Once I did that, the installation ran more or less smoothly, with a few burps as the end. Once I had 13.10 up and running, though still with graphics anomalies, I was able to retrieve the necessary nvidia modules and fix those anomalies. The fix, though, required installing an obscure repository. I don't have the details at hand, but I can dig them up if anyone needs them.

Comment

I have found that when I get the garbled screen if I press the quit button and then start the install again everything works. The difference seems that the original install is in a full screen window where as the second is in a smaller window.

George Dvorak

Comment

I had the same problem, could not select anything because it was unreadable.
              Videocard: VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev a1)

But I managed.
              Then Kubuntu reboots and in KDE the screen was a mess. I needed the nvidia driver, and with the mousepointer in the left corner and *click* yes a menu pops up!
              But nothing to see. But with scrolling, text became visible, so I started Muon and managed to install the nvidia driver. Now everything is ok.
              At home I also installed Kubuntu, also with a nvidia card, without problems.
              Bad that I read Georges message too late :-)

Next thing is my soundcard. Sound is terrible. Loud soft louud soft loud soft...
              I have also gentoo linux installed at this pc and the sound is ok. So I will try to compile my own kernel with the proper driver.
              But.. i like Kubuntu because updating is a piece of cake! No more long compile times :-)

Comment

I too have video trouble with 13.10 (and same with 14.04 alpha) DURING INSTALL. My Dell d820 laptop uses the Nvidia G72M Quadro NVS 110M/Geforce Go 7300
                Some (not all) of the screens are garbled, as the OP discussed. I also use a Gateway desktop, with similar video hardware, and the same screen trouble appears there.

Which Nvidia modules are you using to "fix" this?

I was able to retrieve the necessary nvidia modules and fix those anomalies. The fix, though, required installing an obscure repository. I don't have the details at hand, but I can dig them up if anyone needs them.
                Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Feb 18, 2014, 11:09 AM.
                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                  Which Nvidia modules are you using to "fix" this?
                  I have nvidia-current (304)

Comment

Nvidia-current [304] install

@kees61, Thanks, I'll test this and report on my results here.

OK, this is what I did, the result is at the bottom:

From this website:

http://www.noobslab.com/2012/06/nvid...ction-for.html

http://www.noobslab.com/2013/08/late...ivers-for.html

I installed their PPA and then their Nvidia-current [304] driver.
                    Commands:

Code:
                    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
                    sudo apt-get update
                    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

NOTE: If you have a failure on this, the uninstall process is also offered:

Uninstallation of Nvidia Drivers
                    If your OS is messed up with drivers then I have solution for you. You can fix with following instructions:

1-> Boot into recovery mode
                    If you don't have recovery option just hold "Shift" before boot and choose recovery option

2-> Now in following menu choose "netroot"

3-> Now uninstall nvidia drivers

Terminal Command:
                    sudo apt-get remove nvidia*

or if you've installed bumblebee

Terminal Command:
                    sudo apt-get remove bumblebee

4-> Now remove xorg configuration:

Terminal Command:
                    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

5-> Now Reinstall the Mesa package for GL:

Terminal Command:
                    sudo apt-get --reinstall install libgl1-mesa-glx

6-> Now reboot

Terminal Command:
                    sudo reboot

That's it
                    RESULT:

The Nvidia-current [304] driver did install, and it runs ok, BUT, it only allows only one screen resolution: 1920x1200...

This would be workable on a large screen, but on my 15 inch laptop, the text is far too small for my eyes...

Yes, I can zoom each new screen, but that is not efficient (by that I mean it's a PITA to do CTRL+ for every new screen display.

I used the above Uninstall process to remove the driver. The default video driver does recognize the multiple resolutions available for this GPU.
                    More work is needed...

POST UPDATE: I also had to re-install the KWin drivers, from the repository (select reinstall).
                    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Feb 23, 2014, 01:07 PM. Reason: update
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
                    X