This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User Manager...

This has to be the most useless piece of software ever written. It does absolutely nothing worthwhile, especially to existing user accounts. Who thought it would be a good idea to not install kuser by default and replace it with this? I really hope it's in transition and being "enhanced" with kuser's functionality. A user manager that only allows changing of the password and email?? WTF? I need to access my groups more than change my password and email address.

The install process needs to handle EFI a bit better. I had a hell of a time getting my system back to a bootable state after it decided to install the EFI enabled grub. If there's somewhere during the install process that warns or informs of EFI and allow one not to install it, I missed it. It needs to be a big red flashing notice with a good writeup on just what EFI is and why it's needed or not needed.
    </soapbox>

Good work guys. Other than missing functionality here and there, I'm loving 13.10. I did a clean reinstall instead of an upgrade, so missing what should be part of a default install (actual user manager, partition manager, grub editor and maybe a couple of others I haven't discovered yet) and included in the System Settings dialog.

Interesting. On my 32-bit 13.10 laptop, the package userconfig (which provides the functionality you seek) doesn't exist. However, on my 64-bit 13.10 laptop, which I upgraded from 13.04 to 13.10, it is installed and I have both User Manager and User Management in System Settings.

Attempting to connect to any of the ubuntu URLs that Google locates on a search of ubuntu userconfig saucy result in Error Package not available in this suite On UbuntuUpdates.org we are told: WARNING: the "userconfig" package was deleted from this repository

You can contact Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com>, original maintainer of the package and inquire as to why.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What, Where, Who, Why ??

Kubuntu Forums - Thread: User Management http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ser-Management

Random quotes
      (The get the context , read the full story....)

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...er/006552.html
      Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
      Fri Dec 28 09:34:22 UTC 2012

Why would an average user want to add or modify groups? Or adding an user
      to them?

I'm willing to do the work but so far I have found no real reason for it.

Power users can always use kuser since it is the app designed for them...
      Blog: http://www.afiestas.org/

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1234053
      Bug Description

userconfig was replaced by user-manager, is unmaintained upstream, has quite a few open bugs, and due to it messing with user and group setup it's unmaintained status could easily lead to system corruption.

Please remove userconfig source and binary from the archive...
      Last edited by Rog132; Oct 21, 2013, 02:17 AM.
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Originally posted by lnxusr View Post
        This has to be the most useless piece of software ever written. It does absolutely nothing worthwhile, especially to existing user accounts. Who thought it would be a good idea to not install kuser by default and replace it with this? I really hope it's in transition and being "enhanced" with kuser's functionality. A user manager that only allows changing of the password and email?? WTF? I need to access my groups more than change my password and email address.
        Yes, the new 'user-manager' in saucy is only good for very basic needs, for intermediate-to-advanced users 'kuser' is a more complete user/group manager.

For the record, I don't think kubuntu has ever (at least for years) installed kuser by default, instead pre-saucy kubuntus used 'userconfig' which featurewise was IMO somewhere between kuser and user-manager. userconfig was written in python, which meant it regularly broke because of version mismatches in the kde/qt python bindings, so at least in that regard user-manager is an improvement. But like I said, for more advanced needs one should install kuser (I used it even when userconfig was the default)

EDIT: Ah, Rog beat me to it....must be a hundreth time by now

Comment

Thank you both for the information/explanation.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X