Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiFi Hotspot Complains "No secrets were provided" After 13.04 -> 13.10 Upgrade

I set up my laptop to work as a hotspot for my iPhone in 13.04, which worked just fine.

Today, after upgrading to 13.10, it no longer works.

I set it up for a manual connection, because I didn't want it on all the time. I'd click the connection in Network Manager, enter my password for the KDE Password Manager, and it would come up with no problem.

That doesn't happen now. It tries to enable the connection, but instead gives me the message "Wireless interface (wlan0) - Failed to activate" and "No secrets were provided"

A cat of /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state reports:

[main]
    NetworkingEnabled = true
    WirelessEnabled = true
    WWANEnabled = true
    WimaxEnabled = true

iwconfig says

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abg ESSID: off/any
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
    Power Management: off

The iwconfig reading is weird, since it used to be set to the name I'd given it.

nload shows no activity.

I've tried to edit the configuration in the new Network Manager, but the OK but is always greyed out.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
    actual

had the same problem after upgrading - on top of many others - worst upgrade yet, by far ...
    The solution is to delete all WiFi networks stored, and to key in the password when you connect for the first time.
    At least this worked for me.

Comment

Hey fxf,

Yeah, I'm having other problems, too. Apache2 went sideways and I'm having trouble ssh'ing in from my phone. These are the times I think," I should have backed up /home and done a fresh, new install". Or waited a bit longer to upgrade, so the initial kinks get worked out

The laptop is the hotspot. I tried to create a new connection, but the "OK" button grayed out and I couldn't save anything..

Comment

Working...
      X