This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Software Centre

On a previous question I asked it was suggested that I download the Muon Software Centre. This I did and I was able to solve an apt-get problem for a file I was looking for. A coouple of days ago I updated it and is now a resource I have in my system.

My problem is I can't find it on any of the menus. To get to it I have to type in a search and then up it comes. I would like to find it with a menu entry rather than having to put a stick-um somewhere on my monitor to remind me of the name and how to spell it.

Help would be appreciated and as ever... elder73

Muon is installed by default. It should be under Applications >> System.
    A thing you can do to make it easy to find is to right-click on the menu icon and select "Add to Favorites", one of several options you will see.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Muon is installed by default. It should be under Applications >> System.
      A thing you can do to make it easy to find is to right-click on the menu icon and select "Add to Favorites", one of several options you will see.
      There is nothing there. Two days ago I ran Muon by finding it with the search bar at the top of the menu. It came up, worked fine updated without any difficulty. Now when I type in the same search, nothing at all comes up, it seems to have disappeared. So I clicked on the system/software updater and that wasn't muon. It also told me that something was missing and I could not update. It offered to repair it for me but that led me down to more refusals. So now am I facing re-installing Kubunt, and if that is so I will download a fresh iso? Its all a blankety-blank nuisance as I was just getting to the point of being really useful and me off Windows.

Comment

open a terminal and do
        Code:
        dpkg -l  | grep muon
        do you see all these
        Code:
        vinny@vinny-HP-G62:~$ dpkg -l  | grep muon
        ii  libmuonprivate1                          2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         Runtime files for the Muon package management suite
        ii  muon                                     2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         package manager for KDE
        ii  muon-discover                            2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         Utility for browsing, installing, and removing applications
        ii  muon-installer                           2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         Utility for browsing, installing, and removing applications
        ii  muon-notifier                            2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         update notifier for KDE
        ii  muon-updater                             2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         update manager for KDE
        VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          open a terminal and do
          Code:
          dpkg -l  | grep muon
          do you see all these
          Code:
          vinny@vinny-HP-G62:~$ dpkg -l  | grep muon
          ii  libmuonprivate1                          2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         Runtime files for the Muon package management suite
          ii  muon                                     2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         package manager for KDE
          ii  muon-discover                            2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         Utility for browsing, installing, and removing applications
          ii  muon-installer                           2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         Utility for browsing, installing, and removing applications
          ii  muon-notifier                            2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         update notifier for KDE
          ii  muon-updater                             2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1~ubuntu12.10~ppa1                  i386         update manager for KDE
          VINNY
          Hi Vinny, good to see you again. I did as you suggested and got the the following:

$ dpkg -l | grep muon
          rc libmuonprivate1 2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1 i386 Runtime files for the Muon package management suite
          william77@william77:~$

Comment

you do not have muon installed ,,,,,,some how you removed it .

try
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install muon
            then you should be able to install the rest of it if you wish (muon-discover,muon-installer,muon-notifier,muon-updater)

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

you do not have muon installed ,,,,,,some how you removed it .

try
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install muon
              then you should be able to install the rest of it if you wish (muon-discover,muon-installer,muon-notifier,muon-updater)

VINNY
              Thank you, that worked. Muon is shown as an updater on the application/system menu. However, when I click on I get a page that tells me that my system is up to date. When I call Muon from the search bar on top of the menu, Muon comes up and shows me all the packages. ?? Whenever I open it I would like to be able to see the package list.

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
                Thank you, that worked. Muon is shown as an updater on the application/system menu. However, when I click on I get a page that tells me that my system is up to date. When I call Muon from the search bar on top of the menu, Muon comes up and shows me all the packages. ?? Whenever I open it I would like to be able to see the package list.
                Hmm maybe updating the menus is slow for some reason, but as Muon Package Manager (the one you are wanting to use) is showing up - I am assuming that the icon labelled "Muon Package Manager" is what you are seeing , you can do as I suggested previously and right-click on the icon you get in the search and add it to your Favorites, then it will always show in the main area of the Kmenu. If you are only seeing the icon labelled "run muon" then something else is happening here.

Comment

in addition to what @claydoh has stated .......you should have in kickoff>applications>system........

1) Muon package manager,,,,,this is what you want for showing all packages.

2)Muon software centre ,,,,,this is a more descriptive/pretty way to find software

3)Muon Discover ,,,,,,,,, like software centre

4)Muon updater ,,,,,just dose updates and system tray notification of updates

IF you installed all the muon packages in my last post that is ...........

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Hmm maybe updating the menus is slow for some reason, but as Muon Package Manager (the one you are wanting to use) is showing up - I am assuming that the icon labelled "Muon Package Manager" is what you are seeing , you can do as I suggested previously and right-click on the icon you get in the search and add it to your Favorites, then it will always show in the main area of the Kmenu. If you are only seeing the icon labelled "run muon" then something else is happening here.
                    It shows in Kmenu as Muon Update Manager and I guess if everything is uptodate it simply tells me that is so. That is what happens when I call it from Kmenu.

Comment

in addition to what @claydoh has stated .......you should have in kickoff>applications>system........

2)Muon software centre ,,,,,this is a more descriptive/pretty way to find software

VINNY
                      I did what you advised me to do and following is the result from a previous instruction:

william77@william77:~$ dpkg -l | grep muon
                      ii libmuonprivate1 2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1 i386 Runtime files for the Muon package management suite
                      ii muon 2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1 i386 package manager for KDE
                      ii muon-notifier 2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1 i386 update notifier for KDE
                      ii muon-updater 2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1 i386 update manager for KDE

On Kmenu/systems it is only showing as: Muon Update Manager, Nothing else. Elder73

Comment

In Applications > System you don't see these three Muon applications? The icons showing here for the Package Manager won't be what you see - it's a custom icon.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Muon.png
Views:	1
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	640499
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 20, 2013, 05:45 PM.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

VINNY
                          I did as you suggested but the menu item I have is "Muon Update Manager" Maybe the folloowing with throw some light on it:

ii libmuonprivate1 2.0.1-0ubuntu0.1 i386 Runtime files for the Muon package management suite

Thank you for your help Vinney, always appreciated. Elder73

Comment

Thank you Vinny, I realized I had to apt-get the rest of Muon. This is now done and everything is fixed and fine. Elder73

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
                              I did as you suggested but the menu item I have is "Muon Update Manager" Maybe the folloowing with throw some light on it:

Thank you for your help Vinney, always appreciated. Elder73
                              You're missing muon-discover and muon-installer.

Open a console and type:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install muon-discover muon-installer
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X