This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akonadi broken after upgrade.

Sigh.. looks as though the boot issues are not the only things broken with this upgrade...

Akonadi won't start now (Akonadi control process not registered at D-Bus, Akonadi server process not registered at D-Bus, No resource agents found).

Looks as though a full re-install is the only option to get this thing stable (not good guys).

P.

Yeah, I've been fighting with this for two days now. I can't get mysql and akonadi to play well together. Now I have to decide if I want to wipe .kde, .local and .config and start over with a clean install (really not looking foward to this) or just not use kontact to do my email and calendar tasks.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Yep same here, although yesterday akonadi did seem to spring into life for no reason that I know of. However, today, no akonadi server, ho hum.

Please let us know if a fresh install, or frigging around with .kde, .local and .config does the trick, thanks.

Comment

Backup, Fresh install (eventually after fighting with the installer), re-install everything. A day in my life gone, but a system now working better than it did before.

P.

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
          Backup, Fresh install (eventually after fighting with the installer), re-install everything. A day in my life gone, but a system now working better than it did before.

P.
          Thanks for the update P, I may well do the same when I've got a day free (ha!).

What's weird is that akonadi does start for me occasionally, roughly one in ten times

Comment

I seem to have resolved my akonadi issues, though time will tell. So far, so good. First I tried to mv the ~/.config/akonadi directory, which didn't fix it. Not sure if it contributed to fixing it, though, but it did make me have to reconfigure things again.

Anyways, things seem to be functional after I did this:

sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            sudo apt-get install akonadi-server kubuntu-desktop --reinstall

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrep View Post
              I seem to have resolved my akonadi issues, though time will tell. So far, so good. First I tried to mv the ~/.config/akonadi directory, which didn't fix it. Not sure if it contributed to fixing it, though, but it did make me have to reconfigure things again.

Anyways, things seem to be functional after I did this:

sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              sudo apt-get install akonadi-server kubuntu-desktop --reinstall
              Yeah, I tried that a couple of days ago, and again yesterday. I ended up wiping and starting over. Too many small and annoying errors and hiccups.
              I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Note that Akonadi uses a new schema so you might have to restart Akonadi using 'akonadictl restart' from the console.

Comment

I think I'm beginning to see a pattern, I may be completely wrong here possibly suffering from confirmation bias but here's what I think may be happening.
                  When I use kontact and use the knode module, when I shut kontact down it leaves some processes running. This is a well known problem, at least I've seen it described elsewhere. The upshot of this is that when I restart a session kontact is restarted automatically through session management. In these cases, where kontact starts as I log in then akonadi fails to start. If I kill the kontact processes before logging out and then manually restart kontact after logging in again then akonadi seems to work fine.
                  If I'm right it may point to a timing problem, perhaps with other services not being ready, but who knows?
                  I'd appreciate it if someone else can confirm (or not).

Comment

I had a similar problem with kmail. If i left kmail open when I log out (so it starts automatically on my next log in) akonadi will fail to start. If i close everything and start a fresh session, kmail and akonadi start without a problem so guess it's really a timing problem

Comment

Thanks alez, your experience seems to confirm mine, I may raise a bug but I think I'd like to get a few more tests done first.

For the sake of accuracy when you say
                      Originally posted by alez View Post
                      I had a similar problem with kmail.
                      You "had" a problem meaning that you have fixed it or you still have the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by ContextSwitch View Post
                        The upshot of this is that when I restart a session kontact is restarted automatically through session management.
                        One of the first things I do on any KDE install is to change the session management configuration to always start with an empty session on login. And I am not experiencing any of the Akonadi-related problems you describe. I cannot predict whether there might be a cause-effect relationship here, but it wouldn't hurt for you to test.

Also, you can force a complete Akonadi rebuild with the following commands. Do this when not logged into KDE.
                        Code:
                        rm -rfv ~/.config/akonadi/*

rm -rfv ~/.local/share/akonadi/*

rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/akonadi*
                        Note the lack of a / before the * in the last command.

Comment

Excuse me, it sure is confusing. I still have the problem.
                          @ SteveRiley apparently moving ~/.config/akonadi didn't work. Also there's the matter of having to reconfigure everything again. Of course if that means it will be fixed why not

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            One of the first things I do on any KDE install is to change the session management configuration to always start with an empty session on login. And I am not experiencing any of the Akonadi-related problems you describe. I cannot predict whether there might be a cause-effect relationship here, but it wouldn't hurt for you to test.
                            Yeh, cheers Steve, I'm going to do that for now as a work-around although I do like have the previous session restored, ahh well, I only like it coz I'm lazy!

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Also, you can force a complete Akonadi rebuild with the following commands. Do this when not logged into KDE.
                            Code:
                            rm -rfv ~/.config/akonadi/*

rm -rfv ~/.local/share/akonadi/*

rm -rfv ~/.kde/share/config/akonadi*
                            Note the lack of a / before the * in the last command.
                            I've tried these except the .config one as I didn't want to go through the hassle of re-creating all my e-mail settings, etc. Because akonadi does work (most times) I decided it has to be something else. I'm now pretty sure it's caused by starting kontact early in the log-in sequence but I haven't looked any deeper into it.

Comment

So much for my theory ... I just had akonadi fail on login with session management switched off.

Ahh well ...

Comment

Working...
                              X