X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 13.10 and HDMI

Hi all
    I need some help. I'm running Kubuntu 13.10, but this problem was present in 13.04 aswell. Here's what's happening:

On laptop 1 - HP Pavilion DV6 with Kubuntu 13.10 (previously Windows7): this laptop is used mainly as media centre using a 1TB hdd and XBMC installed. I have installed PAVU. Connecting to our TV via HDMI cable is a breeze, we have picture and I don't need to fiddle with settings to get it working. When it comes to the sound aspect, well, that's where I bomb out completely. The sound continues to play via the laptop speakers and not the HDMI. Muting the speakers, mutes all sound.

On laptop 2 - HP Pavilion DM 1 with Kubuntu 13.10 (upgraded from 13.04): same thing. Picture shows beautifully, but no sound via HDMI only built in laptop speakers.

I know I can hook the HDD directly to the TV, but I'm a bit of a show-off. With our moving nights with friends, I love to show off my geeky system

Do you have HDMI sound "card" turned on? Right click on the sound icon on your taskbar, select "Select Master Channel" and choose your HDMI system.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

I have tried HDMI with my Asus Laptop and it works - sort off. The image size is not correct as the Desktop button at the top right is half-way off the screen. When I move the mouse across the screen there is a line of mouse pointers which go when I left click on the screen. If I use Gwenview to show images, the previous image is faint in the background.

Sound does not work and there is no control of sound through the System Settings > Multimedia > Audio and Video Settings.

I have heard that HDMI is being fixed in the Linux Kernel 3.12 for some video cards and I hope that it is not too long before this Kernel is ported to Kubuntu 13.10

Comment

I battled with this problem for years. I finally found out what the problem was: Kmix sucks. Really, it is awful. Install the Veromix plasma widget and try to configure your audio from there.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          I battled with this problem for years. I finally found out what the problem was: Kmix sucks. Really, it is awful. Install the Veromix plasma widget and try to configure your audio from there.
          I have just added Veromix and I have tried all possible settings when my laptop was connected to a Digital TV via HDMI. Sorry to say Veromix made no difference and I could only get sound out of my Laptop Speakers. I have not had any problem with Kmix and I find that it is important to have the Multimedia Settings with the Audio Playback and Recording devices in the right priority.

As I said before, I believe the problem is with the Linux Kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
            I have just added Veromix and I have tried all possible settings when my laptop was connected to a Digital TV via HDMI. Sorry to say Veromix made no difference and I could only get sound out of my Laptop Speakers. I have not had any problem with Kmix and I find that it is important to have the Multimedia Settings with the Audio Playback and Recording devices in the right priority.

As I said before, I believe the problem is with the Linux Kernel.
            What audio set up are you working with? Pulse audio? Which back end? After changing settings, did you log out?

Comment

Hey, Buddlespit
              master channel selection doesn't help. Sound still only comes from built in laptop speakers
              Last edited by snowflake_nz; Oct 19, 2013, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Hey whatthefunk
                sorry to say Veromix doesn't solve my problem.

Comment

I just remembered another thing I had to do...I had to manually add the correct HDMI channel to a file, but I cant remember which one Im searching around now....

In System Settings > Multimedia > Audio Video Settings have you tested all the channels listed? Do any of them work?

Found it!

In the file /etc/pulse/default.pa I had to add a line for my HDMI output.
                  Code:
                  ### Load audio drivers statically
                  ### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
                  ### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
                  #load-module module-alsa-sink
                  #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
                  #load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
                  #load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
                  #load-module module-null-sink
                  #load-module module-pipe-sink
                  [B]load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7[/B]
                  The numbers 1,7 need to be changed to reflect your hardware configuration.

Read about how to find these numbers here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...Audio/Examples
                  Last edited by whatthefunk; Oct 19, 2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                    What audio set up are you working with? Pulse audio? Which back end? After changing settings, did you log out?
                    I use Pulse Audio and it is used with the System Settings > Multimedia. I have not done any command line change to the audio settings. I did logout after adding Veromix. I need to shift my Laptop to connect it to the Digital TV via HDMI so I reboot after this connection is made.

When the HDMI is connected there is no sign of its audio channel using System Settings. Just for the heck of it, I added the line
                    Code:
                    load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7
                    and it gave multiple listings of my sound card. I selected all possibilities and nothing came out of the TV speakers. The video card that I have is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 2GB and for this I have the default packages installed, nvidia-common, ubuntu-drivers-common, jockey-kde, jockey-common, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau, libvdpau1

I hope the kernel drivers for this video card come out soon. Thanks for your suggestions which have given me more insight into this problem.

Comment

All I have had to do is get into the System Settings/ Audio & Video Settings/ Sound settings of hardware and select HDMI on both bars.
                      (Translated from a Dutch language system so yours might use different wording)
                      This is running the nVidia card and proprietary drivers)

I normally use Smplayer as media player and with a few formats / video's I've had to get into the audio part of Smplayer settings and select the correct audio output driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        All I have had to do is get into the System Settings/ Audio & Video Settings/ Sound settings of hardware and select HDMI on both bars.
                        (Translated from a Dutch language system so yours might use different wording)
                        This is running the nVidia card and proprietary drivers)

I normally use Smplayer as media player and with a few formats / video's I've had to get into the audio part of Smplayer settings and select the correct audio output driver.
                        I can certainly understand what you are saying. Could you please let me know what NVIDIA card you have and what drivers you have installed. To illustrate, I used muon and entered nvidia in the search box and clicked twice on "Status" to show the installed packages that are listed in the graphic below.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by snowflake_nz View Post
                          Hi all
                          I need some help. I'm running Kubuntu 13.10, but this problem was present in 13.04 aswell. Here's what's happening:

On laptop 1 - HP Pavilion DV6 with Kubuntu 13.10 (previously Windows7): this laptop is used mainly as media centre using a 1TB hdd and XBMC installed. I have installed PAVU. Connecting to our TV via HDMI cable is a breeze, we have picture and I don't need to fiddle with settings to get it working. When it comes to the sound aspect, well, that's where I bomb out completely. The sound continues to play via the laptop speakers and not the HDMI. Muting the speakers, mutes all sound.

On laptop 2 - HP Pavilion DM 1 with Kubuntu 13.10 (upgraded from 13.04): same thing. Picture shows beautifully, but no sound via HDMI only built in laptop speakers.

I know I can hook the HDD directly to the TV, but I'm a bit of a show-off. With our moving nights with friends, I love to show off my geeky system
                          I note you've got PAVU installed. The sound element of the HDMI ought to show up in the drop-down menu as an available playback device in PAVU but only when you have established the connection between laptop and TV.

Comment

I used 'Additional Drivers' or Jockey as it is also called to install the nVidia and64-319.60 driver.
                            This is on a Thinkpad W520 with a Quadro 1000M video card.
                            Heed Liquidator's advice, because I presently don't have anything HDMI to connect to I can't check any details.

Comment

I use my laptop, Toshiba L750 as a media center, but for HDMI to work, i must have the the nVidia driver installed.
                              If i boot up with the cable connected, i won't get any sound, so i have to boot up with cable disconnected and then connect the cable.
                              I also noticed that in System Settings/ Audio & Video Settings/ Sound settings, under the third tab, the second bar is left blank and it works. If anything is selected there, as it will happen when you boot up with the cable connected, it won't work, and i have to reboot it again to get a blank bar because you cannot select a blank bar.
                              On a whole it works very well in 13.10.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X