X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New muon updater

Hello,

I don't like the new muon updater very much, I miss the toolbar. So I was wondering if this can be configured somehow.
    Besides, I noticed that in the lower left corner menu, there is an "advanced" submenu item but it is greyed out. Is it normal?
    Finally if in the menu you want to check updates it simply doesn't make anything.

Thanks a lot.

Why use the updater when you have the package manager?
    I assume the advance menu gets activated once there are updates available.

Comment

There's also a bug for me : when performing an update, muon updater hangs at the very end of the process. It keeps displaying "Chargement de la liste des logiciels" in french which probably can be tranlated into "Updating software sources". I have to do a
      "sudo killall muon-updater" but there is no consequence in doing that, the update has indeed been made.
      With the problem of the software installer crashing, it really looks that this version of muon suite is not stable. But the package manager works fine.
      And the advanced menu never gets activated for me...

Comment

Originally posted by papa33 View Post
        There's also a bug for me : when performing an update, muon updater hangs at the very end of the process. It keeps displaying "Chargement de la liste des logiciels" in french which probably can be tranlated into "Updating software sources". I have to do a
        "sudo killall muon-updater" but there is no consequence in doing that, the update has indeed been made.
        With the problem of the software installer crashing, it really looks that this version of muon suite is not stable. But the package manager works fine.
        And the advanced menu never gets activated for me...
        I prefer to update using konsole and almost always I do that way. But trying to update using the new muon-adapter the problem you describe also happened to me.

Comment

I removed prelink and it does not seem to happen any more.

Comment

All I can say, is thank goodness I had installed Xfce on my KDE box before the upgrade, as for some reason, the Xfce Software Updater works fine, but Muon update Manager (which worked fine before upgrading) just sits there and does nothing when I click on Check For Updates. Muon Package Manager does search & find updates though.

To be honest, I prefer the Xfce one anyway, so no biggie, just weird that the Muon version stopped working after the upgrade.
            KDE Rules!

Comment

OK. I managed to downgrade to muon 2.0.1 by downloading all the files from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...+build/4619993, locking the version to prevent updates.
              Then I had to edit muon-updaterrc in /home/user/.kde/share/config to enable the menu bar in the updater.
              Everything working as expected, no more crashes.
              I'll wait 2.1 final before upgrading again.

Comment

One word Synaptic.
                Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                Always consider Occam's Razor
                Rich

Comment

I too have been having lots of issues with Muon Discovery, or Muon Updater. Crashes regularly with seg faults and is proving to be very unstable. i thought it was maybe related to the Nvidia drivers but when I installed the open source drivers the problems were still there. I use Konsole for my regular updates, installed Ubuntu Software Centre for add on progs and just generally avoid anything tied to Muon. This is an issue that really needs to get patched and until then I'm just not going to use anything tied to Muon.

Comment

For regular maintenance and updates I can't replicate all these problems with Muon.
                    I've been using it for a couple of years and it only gets better as in more complete with every release.
                    I only use the Muon package manager because it generally offers all the options I need, meaning there is no user case for the other parts of Muon.

Comment

The problems that I'm having generally happen when installing a new prog. The program will install but Muon is frozen until well after the installation and may sometimes come back to life or it may not. I can usually tell that it's frozen when I see the installation screen under the main window. Then I have to kill Muon. I have been using Linux for about ten years and Kubuntu for a couple of versions now. I have to say this version has been the most troublesome for me. Not just Muon but little irritations such as the screensaver opening in a small window everytime I boot into my desktop, my Logitech camera's sound not working all stuff that worked flawlessly in 13.04

Comment

That sucks.

What about the console which is the best way to get useful feedback?

An other thought, this could be due to some bad configuration, an old trick is to remove Or better rename) ~/.kde, after a reboot a new one will be created with all settings reverting to default.
                        Last edited by Teunis; Oct 30, 2013, 01:12 PM. Reason: An other thought

Comment

Actually "Chargement de la liste des logiciels" means "Loading the list of software". And, by the way, I'm having the exact same problem with the Muon updater. But when you do click on the "Install updates" button, it does complete the updating. When the "Loading the list of software" gets hung in an eternal loop, just kill the program using System Monitor. Then re-open the Muon Upgrader, click on the "More" button in the lower left corner, click on "Configure Shortcuts" and scroll down to "History" and add "Ctrl+H" to the Shortcut Column. Then, after you have completed the upgrade to the point where it hangs in the loop, just kill it, restart it, and click Ctrl+H, and you will get a window listing the packages you have just upgraded.
                          Retired Merchant Seaman, 45 years service. (Computer 1): Gygabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 board, AMD Athlon II x2 255 cpu, GV-R6450C-1G graphics, 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB WD Green HD. (Computer 2): Asus F2A85-M PRO board, AMD A-Series A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad Core 100W cpu, 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD

Comment

I'm not a s proficient with command line as I'd like to be so some of the commands to do certain things escape me. I never thought of the ~/.kde folder though may give that a try. I hope to have Muon working better soon, meantime I'll use Synaptic and Konsole to do updates and install progs as needed.

Comment

Start with the usuals update & ugrade commands in the Konsole, nothing scary about it:
                              sudo apt-get update
                              This should update the database of programs.
                              The next one will do the actual upgrade of all programs that have an update available:
                              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
                              Any error messages you get can be copied and posted here for further investigation.
                              If you're not certain of your typing accuracy you can just copy & paste these commands.
                              Sudo will ask for your password, while typing it the Konsole will not return anything.

And please, if using Muon, only use Muon Package Manager, not the other Muon stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X