Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did the upgrade just now, and so far so good. A little slow trying to do final clean-up of old unused packages (saw there was multiple instances of python3 going on), but no hiccups anyhow.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Just upgraded yesterday, and the only bug is now the external display seems to set itself to the default screen size of the laptop (1600x900) instead of the monitors screen size (1366x768) Weird thing is, the Plymouth splash screen is 1366x768, then when it switches to the LightDM login window, that's when it switches.

Other than that, I like it, really I do!
      KDE Rules!

Comment

I did the upgrade on two computers. The older computer was done in a hour and a half. The second computer took less than a hour. Both computers are running great with out any problems.

Comment

My system still hasnt realized that it can be updated. I have received no notification and none of the Muon programs are telling me that a distribution upgrade is available. I checked in Software Sources and its supposed to tell me when all releases are available. Hmmm....

Comment

I'd just go into /etc/sources.list, replace all "raring" to "saucy", and then go
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (-y)
            (The -y allows you to skip the prompt to go ahead with the upgrade or not). This is exactly what I did when I had trouble getting the upgrade going through the GUI.
            The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

You'll also want to replace "raring" to "saucy" in any 'standard' repository list files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

I say 'standard' meaning any recognized *buntu ppas such as:

kubuntu-ppa-backports.list
              kubuntu-ppa-beta.list
              kubuntu-ppa-ppa.list

If you have any other .list files there, you will need to comment them out so they won't be utilized during the upgrade. Once upgraded to Saucy and you've rebooted, you can uncomment them. If any of those specify raring, change to saucy. Then run:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just attempted the upgrade....problems... It seems that some of my packages are still looking for the old repos.

sudo dpkg --audit
                Code:
                The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured.
                They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure
                menu option in dselect for them to work:
                 libpython2.7:amd64   Shared Python runtime library (version 2.7)
                 libexpat1-dev:amd64  XML parsing C library - development kit
                 libc6-dev:amd64      Embedded GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Header 
                 libpango1.0-dev      Development files for the Pango
                 plymouth             graphical boot animation and logger - main package
                 libglib2.0-bin       Programs for the GLib library
                 zlib1g-dev:amd64     compression library - development
                 libglib2.0-dev       Development files for the GLib library
                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                Code:
                dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpython2.7:amd64:
                 libpython2.7:amd64 depends on libpython2.7-stdlib (= 2.7.5-8ubuntu3); however:
                  Version of libpython2.7-stdlib:amd64 on system is 2.7.4-2ubuntu3.2.

dpkg: error processing libpython2.7:amd64 (--configure):
                 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libc6-dev:amd64:
                 libc6-dev:amd64 depends on libc6 (= 2.17-93ubuntu4); however:
                  Version of libc6:amd64 on system is 2.17-0ubuntu5.1.

dpkg: error processing libc6-dev:amd64 (--configure):
                dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libpango1.0-dev:
                 libpango1.0-dev depends on gir1.2-pango-1.0 (= 1.32.5-5ubuntu1); however:
                  Version of gir1.2-pango-1.0 on system is 1.32.5-0ubuntu1.

dpkg: error processing libpango1.0-dev (--configure):
                dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libglib2.0-bin:
                 libglib2.0-bin depends on libglib2.0-0 (= 2.38.0-1ubuntu1); however:
                  Version of libglib2.0-0:amd64 on system is 2.36.0-1ubuntu2.

dpkg: error processing libglib2.0-bin (--configure):
                dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of zlib1g-dev:amd64:
                 zlib1g-dev:amd64 depends on libc6-dev | libc-dev; however:
                  Package libc6-dev:amd64 is not configured yet.
                  Package libc-dev is not installed.
                  Package libc6-dev:amd64 which provides libc-dev is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing zlib1g-dev:amd64 (--configure):
                dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libglib2.0-dev:
                 libglib2.0-dev depends on libglib2.0-0 (= 2.38.0-1ubuntu1); however:
                  Version of libglib2.0-0:amd64 on system is 2.36.0-1ubuntu2.
                 libglib2.0-dev depends on libglib2.0-bin (= 2.38.0-1ubuntu1); however:
                  Package libglib2.0-bin is not configured yet.
                 libglib2.0-dev depends on zlib1g-dev; however:
                  Package zlib1g-dev:amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing libglib2.0-dev (--configure):
                dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libexpat1-dev:amd64:
                 libexpat1-dev:amd64 depends on libc6-dev | libc-dev; however:
                  Package libc6-dev:amd64 is not configured yet.
                  Package libc-dev is not installed.
                  Package libc6-dev:amd64 which provides libc-dev is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing libexpat1-dev:amd64 (--configure):
                Errors were encountered while processing:
                 libpython2.7:amd64
                 libc6-dev:amd64
                 libpango1.0-dev
                 libglib2.0-bin
                 zlib1g-dev:amd64
                 libglib2.0-dev
                 libexpat1-dev:amd64
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                Code:
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree       
                Reading state information... Done
                You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
                The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                 libc6-dev : Depends: libc6 (= 2.17-93ubuntu4) but 2.17-0ubuntu5.1 is installed
                 libglib2.0-bin : Depends: libglib2.0-0 (= 2.38.0-1ubuntu1) but 2.36.0-1ubuntu2 is installed
                 libglib2.0-dev : Depends: libglib2.0-0 (= 2.38.0-1ubuntu1) but 2.36.0-1ubuntu2 is installed
                 libpango1.0-dev : Depends: gir1.2-pango-1.0 (= 1.32.5-5ubuntu1) but 1.32.5-0ubuntu1 is installed
                 libpython2.7 : Depends: libpython2.7-stdlib (= 2.7.5-8ubuntu3) but 2.7.4-2ubuntu3.2 is installed
                 plymouth : Depends: libplymouth2 (= 0.8.8-0ubuntu8) but 0.8.8-0ubuntu6.2 is installed
                 plymouth-label : Depends: plymouth (= 0.8.8-0ubuntu6.2) but 0.8.8-0ubuntu8 is installed
                E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
                What can I do about this?

Comment

Think I got it. I went through and purged all the packages with dependency problems then ran apt-get install -f and it ran without issue. I updated again and then ran the dist-upgrade command a second time. Its going along smoothly now. Fingers crossed

EDIT: Second dpkg failure. Same types of errors but a lot more of them. Corrected them the same way and proceeded again. I dont have high hopes for a successful upgrade at this point

EDIT #2: More dpkg failures. Its now stuck with setting up Muon.
                  Code:
                  Setting up muon (2.0.65+git20131008-0ubuntu4) ...
                  Another update is already running: showing its progress.
                  My internet searches have led me to the conclusion that xapian is supposed to be indexing, but I dont think it is. I have no status indicator, no background processes and after letting it sit for an hour, nothing has changed. Maybe its time to start drinking....
                  Last edited by whatthefunk; Oct 28, 2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

So....it kind of worked. lsb_release shows that I have Ubuntu 13.10, but I seem to be missing all the KDE upgrades that are supposed to come with this release. I looked at the 13.10 features hereand I dont have any. My user management screen is the same as before, wireless is totally different than described, there is no About System page in the system settings etc... Whats going on here?

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                      I've installed more debugging symbols with 13.10b2 than I did with 13.04b2. It's still nice, though. I'll prolly wait a few months after release to upgrade my server to 13.10.
                      Any reason not to be running your server on 12.04?

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                        Any reason not to be running your server on 12.04?
                        Yes. I had already upgraded it to 12.10 before I found out that I wanted to stay on the long term releases. Once I get to 14.04, I'll park it there until 16.04
                        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                          Yes. I had already upgraded it to 12.10 before I found out that I wanted to stay on the long term releases. Once I get to 14.04, I'll park it there until 16.04
                          Ah ok. Makes sense. Ubuntu does exceptionally good LTS servers.

Comment

Working...
                          X