This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade to 13.10

just did a "sudo do-release-upgrade -d" to the 13.04 install and have a nice new 13.10

bla bla everything seems to work so far ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dam , nothing to fix ,,,,,,this is no fun

pick over hear http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...002#post337002

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Just finished upgrading my 'main' HP from 13.04 to 13.10. Went off without a hitch. Everything working. No glitches. No gremlins. Just pure Kubuntu.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Eh? Is it in the repos yet?

Comment

I've installed more debugging symbols with 13.10b2 than I did with 13.04b2. It's still nice, though. I'll prolly wait a few months after release to upgrade my server to 13.10.
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Have any of you guys got a UEFI partition to deal with, and if so, has an installation 13.10 successfully booted and not ended up with a grub prompt?

Comment

I did the upgrade to Saucy, ( for real! ) tonight. Just five things:

a) It said that it would take 1 hr and 52 minutes, it took about three, given that I did not monitor it all the time and it did wait once for me to say that I wanted to remove packages.
            b) Two of the black windows appeared.
            c) It said that it would "disable" "3rd party software" and that i would need to use the "software support tool" to re-enable them.
            I don't know which were disabled, but will probably find out in the course of things. I used search to find a "Software properties tool" and found none. So I assume it is a generic statement about repos.
            d) Two "folder view" widgets which I had reduced in size to about and inch and a helf square appeared full size, but were configured properly in terms of the file pathway.

e) no Amarok skins or themes.

otherwise, nada to report.

woodsmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 16, 2013, 02:33 AM.
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
              Have any of you guys got a UEFI partition to deal with, and if so, has an installation 13.10 successfully booted and not ended up with a grub prompt?
              After the update, I had no problems. When I re-installed, I had to make sure I pointed to the efi partition (sda1 on my system). If I remember correctly, it booted fine the first time, then I had to run boot-repair. I already had it installed on a usb-key and it took me all of a minute or three.
              I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Its not in my repos yet.....

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                  Its not in my repos yet.....
                  It's still in beta2. You have to add the '-d' to 'do-release-upgrade'. '-d' means the development version.
                  Code:
                  sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Comment

Ah.... And here I thought I was going crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                      After the update, I had no problems. When I re-installed, I had to make sure I pointed to the efi partition (sda1 on my system). If I remember correctly, it booted fine the first time, then I had to run boot-repair. I already had it installed on a usb-key and it took me all of a minute or three.
                      Looks like this latest release does not solve the problems with UEFI out of the box. I think it is a bit much for a newbie to have to use boot-repair to finish a fresh install.

Comment

I've seen a couple grub2 updates in the past few weeks. Maybe it's been fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                          I've seen a couple grub2 updates in the past few weeks. Maybe it's been fixed.
                          I also noticed a couple of grub2 updates, so I decided to download the latest iso; saucy-desktop-amd64.iso 16-Oct-2013 20:13 1.0G. I have just installed it and on reboot it comes up with the grub prompt. This system has UFEI with no BIOS option to disable secure boot.

With the latest release, systems with UEFI still have to use boot-repair to boot the installed kubuntu 13.10 system

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                            Did the upgrade on an Apple 32 bit MacBook Pro(EFI) running Xubuntu and it is still booting.

Comment

I ran the update from 13.04 to 13.10.

Once I had got over the original pre-install gremlins (see http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ng-the-upgrade ) the install went without hitch.

First boot had no nvidia drivers active, so I went into the proprietary drivers doohickey and enabled the top one. Rebooted. Lovely shiny desktopy goodness followed.

So far, no problems. Everything appears to be working fine, including UEFI grub. I notice there are now two more entries in the grub list, so it looks like it's even recognised my Windows 7 boot without being told to.

I set the desktop to draw with opengl 3, gtkperf reports a score of three point nothing. So it's fast.

Feeling good about it all.
                              --
                              Intocabile

Comment

Working...
                              X