This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual monitors with amd radeon hd 6320

I'm using a VGA spliter and the proprietary fglrx driver. When I plug in the second monitor, it makes me reduce the screen resolution (this is ok, understandable) and once I do that it mirrors them so they show exactly the same content -- so it seems to be aware that there are two monitors, in that sense. Yet the kubuntu system settings and catlyst control center only show one monitor. When I tell it to identify outputs it shows both as screen #1. This leaves me with no way to configure it to split the screen -- I'd like to have one virtual desktop on each screen. Haven't been able to turn up any useful suggestions in google. How is it mirroring the monitors while refusing to admit that there actually are two monitors? Any suggestions?

If you're using one vga port on your video card, split to two monitors, then all your vga card is going to report is that you have one monitor. One port=one monitor.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

You didn't give us any specs on your system at all. Is this a desktop or laptop? I ask this because no internet searches showed me a video card - just laptops. Is the spliter just a run-of-the-mill type or fancy ATI supplied? I ask that because I have a couple video cards that support multiple monitors through a supplied cable, but you can't just use any old cable. Also, relying on the Catalyst Control center is not a good idea - it's as buggy as ever and has been since the early 90's when I bought my last ATI card ever.

The way to tell if you're monitors are both being detected is by looking at the log file: /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Power down the system, plug both monitors in, power up, read through the above file. If you see only one monitor listed, that's all you'll get using that setup. It's very likely Buddlespit is correct in this case. I don't know of a VGA port that supports dual monitors.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        It's very likely Buddlespit is correct in this case.
        About damned time.... I was getting sooooo tired of being wrong.....
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
          About damned time.... I was getting sooooo tired of being wrong.....
          roflmao...

Not to worry, I think Buddha said "He who posts often will eventually find enlightenment..."

...or something like that.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have a similar problem trying to setup dual monitors on my PC. It's an HD Pavilion p2-1119 with an AMD Radeon HD6320 graphics card. My primary monitor is attached VGA to VGA, and my secondary monitor is setup VGA to DVI. I can't figure out how to get my system to recognize the secondary monitor (which used to be the only monitor). I've followed all of the steps, but my system only recognizes the VGA to VGA setup. Can you assist?

Comment

@kfgamble :
              are they on seperate ports? if not as discussed above 1 port = 1 monitor . so you have one monitor.
              are you using the AMD (FGLRX) driver? if so use kdesudo amdcccle to open the control panel and under display settings you can set the multimonitor.
              are you using the Open Source Radeion driver (defalut) then use system settings -> display and monitor
              some 4th thing .. give us more info and get more answers .
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                @kfgamble :
                are they on seperate ports? if not as discussed above 1 port = 1 monitor . so you have one monitor.
                are you using the AMD (FGLRX) driver? if so use kdesudo amdcccle to open the control panel and under display settings you can set the multimonitor.
                are you using the Open Source Radeion driver (defalut) then use system settings -> display and monitor
                some 4th thing .. give us more info and get more answers .
                I apologize, but I don't understand all of what you are asking, so I will do my best to explain further... I have two monitors and each has their own cable attaching to the back of my PC tower... The only one I can get to show up under Advanced Settings is the one attached with a VGA to VGA cable. The second monitor which was originally my only monitor is attached to the PC with a VGA to DVI cable to the back of my PC tower. My driver is an AMD Radeon HD 6320, and I have no idea what you mean by FGLRX. I've already tried to set it up using system settings, display and monitor, advanced settings, but only monitor 1 shows up on that screen... If you could possibly explain in a way I could understand, I am pretty computer savvy, but not 100% fluent... Thank you so much...

Comment

Having two ports does not guarantee your system supports two monitors simultaneously. The 6320 is not actually a video card, rather it's an integrated graphics processor inside the Zacate series AMD processors. This means it's not very high powered or capable. This does not prove that it doesn't support two monitors, but we'll have to figure that out. I can't find any decisive comments on line one way or the other. HP could likely give you a definitive answer.

Start by booting up with both monitors connected and powered on, open a terminal, and type this in: xrandr -q

If it lists both ports (VGA and DVI) that likely means two monitors can be configured. Next, open up and read through /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You're looking for comments about detected monitors. If they're both detected, they should both be usable. If not, they're not usable together. In that case, you'll have to add an actual video card to your system.

EDIT: The HP listing for your model does say that both ports can be used at the same time.

Please Read Me

Comment

if you have the AMD FGLRX driver installed. Also know as the Preperitary driver. You will need to use their control panel to set up your monitors. Use the command kdesudo amdcccle to run it.
                    if you are not using the AMD FGLRX driver then you are using the defalut open source driver (its named radeion). in that case you can use the system settings ->display and monitor to set up your second display.

HOWEVER... if you are infact using an APU that has two ports out you are most likley only able to use one at a time as oshunluvr stated above. Do you get the bios output on both monitors? if you don't its a good clue that you can only use one port at a time.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Having two ports does not guarantee your system supports two monitors simultaneously. The 6320 is not actually a video card, rather it's an integrated graphics processor inside the Zacate series AMD processors. This means it's not very high powered or capable. This does not prove that it doesn't support two monitors, but we'll have to figure that out. I can't find any decisive comments on line one way or the other. HP could likely give you a definitive answer.

Start by booting up with both monitors connected and powered on, open a terminal, and type this in: xrandr -q

If it lists both ports (VGA and DVI) that likely means two monitors can be configured. Next, open up and read through /var/log/Xorg.0.log. You're looking for comments about detected monitors. If they're both detected, they should both be usable. If not, they're not usable together. In that case, you'll have to add an actual video card to your system.

EDIT: The HP listing for your model does say that both ports can be used at the same time.
                      Thank you for the response... I tried to go to DOS and change directory (cd) to access /var/log/Xort.0.log, but it says there is no such file... Is there a program I need to install first?

Comment

not Xor, Xorg. Try copying this command into a terminal:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep Display

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X