This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm realy trying to like KDE software more

But one would expect that things would work well when viewing KDE-specific resources with KDE default applications.

Alas, it doesn't always work. I just decided to enable "Load entire page" for the KDE.news feed in Akregator (In the past I used to hit Ctrl-Shift-Enter which would open the article as a tab in Firefox). After I viewed about 3 or so posts (Yes, I've fallen behind with my reading) in Akregator I suddenly got challenged to prove that I'm human. From then on even going back to the articles I just read a minute ago were no longer willing to just serve up the content.

To add insult to injury: KDE.news is a default feed in Akregator (or at least it is in Kubuntu)

Reverting to opening the articles in another browser (I tested Chromium and Firefox) both opens the page without issue.

Both Rekonq and Konqueror displays a capcha challenge when I open the page in those browsers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Browsing_089.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	648030

Entering the Captcha info in Rekonq or Konqueror gets you to the page, but using the viewer in Akregator just takes you to another challenge, this time the page doesn't even render correctly so that you are physically not able to submit the requested proof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_090.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	648031

There are other issues like these. This is just stupid.

I suspect the site looks at the user agent strings in the http request and decided it doesn't like the KDE native applications. Besides that being a realy weak test for a human, one would realy expect a KDE resource to allow you to use KDE native applications, and that KDE web sites should render correctly, even when third-parties are hired to "help out" as is evidently the situation here.

Akregator as far as I know uses KHTML to display pages. KHTML is not capable of rendering the modern web very well. Actually, it's so bad that Konqueror introduced a Webkit backend. That being said, KHTML was what Apple used to create Webkit.

Comment

http://dot.kde.org works just fine here in rekonq &konqueror .

i tried to create this issue by changing the webkit setting in rekonq but was unsucessful at getting any page w/ a capcha challenge.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
        http://dot.kde.org works just fine here in rekonq &konqueror .

i tried to create this issue by changing the webkit setting in rekonq but was unsucessful at getting any page w/ a capcha challenge.
        Did you try to open multiple posts/articles? The issue started after I had read a few articles, I think maybe when I opened the 4th or so article in Akregator, in less than 10 minutes.

Comment

I must say that I'm glad to report that GHNS works better now. Eg opening an item from Wallpapers opens the OpenDesktop.org page in Rekonq. When clicking to zoom the image the pop-up image have scroll bars. As of recently (SC 4.11 I think, I skipped the initial 4.11 release and went straight to 4.11.1) these actually work (In the past the scroll bar handles did not get recognized as controls on this page).

But in this case I think the problem was not limited to just Konq/rekonq, I seem to think that Firefox and Chromium were affected as well... So the fix for these might have been on the server side....
          Last edited by Tahaan; Oct 10, 2013, 03:59 AM. Reason: Add additional version info

Comment

Working...
          X