This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

voillllll-flop! ta-dapKLUNK! goes the printer

I have an HP Laserjet P1005. I went to print up a LibreOffice document, a wonderful recipe for “Sullivan Street Bakery” bread. My mouth was watering just at the thought of it. Since my printer is not wireless, I plugged its USB cable into one of my laptop's ports, hit the print command and … voillllll-flop! It didn't print. It didn't give me any kind of error message. On the computer, it acted like it printed, but nothing happened at the printer, no lights flashing, no sound, nothing. (It was turned on, btw.)

So I messed around with the HPLIP application that I originally installed to get this printer to work. I even installed some extra tools for it that I found in the Muon Software Center. It included a nice little toolbox that allows you to print a test page. I tried doing that and … ta-dapKLUNK! Same as before. It acted on the computer as if it printed, but nothing happened at the printer itself.

Finally, I was seriously annoyed and rebooted into Windows 7 where I was able to print the document from. I then promptly went to all the Microsoft OS forums and admitted that I'm a snotty and obnoxious Linux user and that Microsoft's operating systems have been better all along, especially ME, Vista, and Windows 8, and that I would be formatting Linux off all my computers, shelling out hundreds of dollars for Win 8, MS Office 2012, 13, or whatever the last one was, and that I was going to set up a Holy Shrine in my office for that wonderful MS invention known as the Ribbon. Then I wrote Bill Gates a fan letter begging him to bring Clippy back, explaining that it's such a shame no one's ever been able to use that wonderful feature together with the Ribbon and that if he and Melinda have a daughter, I'll marry her when she's 18 and get the Microsoft logo tattooed onto my butt.

In case you haven't guessed, everything in my last paragraph is sarcasm except for the fact that my document printed under Windows 7. So I rebooted into Kubuntu. Just for laughs, I checked to see if my document would print in Kubuntu now. It did! And the print test page thingie worked too.

So – WTF – why didn't it work before? Was it because the operating system had already started, then I plugged the printer's USB cable in? If I want to print something, do I need to remember to make sure the printer is plugged in via USB before booting up Kubuntu?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Try restarting CUPS or hplip service after plugging in the printer and see if it's detected...

..you shameless MS fanboi!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
      .... I was seriously annoyed and rebooted into Windows 7 where I was able to print the document from.
      A Windows VM will always make a dandy little printer driver -- I highly recommend it for just such emergencies.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
        A Windows VM will always make a dandy little printer driver -- I highly recommend it for just such emergencies.
        Yes, Win 7 under VirtualBox is in my future, but not until I upgrade the memory in this laptop from 4 GB to 8.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

FWIW, my daughter's win 7 laptop behaved like that yesterday; she had to do a full shutdown and restart to bring the printer back to life.

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
          X