1. Back To Top    #11
    Kubuntu as a Second Language Feathers McGraw's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    05:16 PM
    Smart.

When you say your machine, I guess you mean a desktop? What's your internet connection like at home and did you get any feedback on how responsive owncloud was?

Feathers

2. Back To Top    #12
    RSDC of the Loyal Order of Loosejaw woodsmoke's Avatar
    midwest U.S.A. (ummm that is...flyover country to the elites)
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    12:16 PM
    Yes a desktop, cable internet and they had no clue, just logged in and observed the pics.

But, for what I actually needed to do it was waay overkill, dropbox is easier and simpler.

woodsmoke
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

3. Back To Top    #13
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
    For the sake of discussion, what's it not good for?
    I meant that owncloud is (and aims to be) a sort of jack of all trades, and therefore isn't really optimized for any particular usage.

If one is only going to use a small subset of it's features (let's say one only needs an online calendar/addressbook...or only a cloud backup solution), one is likely to find a more efficient/better alternative that is optimized for that particular task.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    12:16 PM
    Yep, port 80 and 443. You can enforce SSL only if you like.
    Well, that sucks.... My provider blocks all html content. I've yet to figure out how they do it, too. It doesn't matter what port I run apache on, Cox Cable will block it.
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    That's strange, out of interest I looked it up and they didn't even mention blocking HTTPS (443)

http://m.cox.com/residential/orangec...f-000000000000

I guess you've already tried that?

My ISP, PlusNet, uses packet sniffing to restrict bandwidth for certain things like P2P during peak hours, I think they can figure out the tripe of traffic regardless of port. Can't say I've noticed it slow me down though.

Kubicle, that's an interesting point. I think I read somewhere that you can speed things up by disabling the apps that you're not using. Haven't tried it though.

Feathers

6. Back To Top    #16
    Pan-Galactic Quordlepleen SteveRiley's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    09:16 AM
    I've got ownCloud up and running, and configured the way I'd like it (with the help of steve's post on the ownCloud forum!). It was actually relatively easy compared to some other things I've tried, which is encouraging.
    Heh, glad you found that useful! Indeed, quickly getting up and running is one of OwnCloud's major attractions.

I've found the web interface a little slow to load (compared to wordpress, citadel mail server on the same hardware), but not prohibitively so. Both the desktop client (installed directly from ownCloud, not the repos - thanks Steve) and mobile client seem much faster, I can only assume that the web interface is the slow bit, and not what's under the bonnet.
    Actually, it probably is your hardware. Raspberry Pis aren't exactly powerhouses, and PHP is a pig. Every time you browse to a page, the server has to compile the PHP for it.

But not all is lost. OwnCloud will work very nicely with the Alternative PHP Cache. APC optimizes and caches PHP's intermediate byte code; this should improve performance for you. Install it:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install php-apc
    Now restart your web server and browse to some pages. Is it faster, especially when you revisit pages?

Also... which web server and database are you using?

7. Back To Top    #17
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    I'm amazed how much difference that made.

Time taken to load index page before php-apc = 21 seconds

Time taken to load index page after php-apc = 7-8 seconds

Thank you!!

As for the web server and database:
    Apache (Apache/2.2.22 (Debian))
    MySQL (Version: 5.5.31+dfsg-0+wheezy1)

Feathers

8. Back To Top    #18
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by kubicle View Post
    If one is only going to use a small subset of it's features (let's say one only needs an online calendar/addressbook...or only a cloud backup solution), one is likely to find a more efficient/better alternative that is optimized for that particular task.
    I have been using DAViCal for my calendar and addressbook. Unfortunately, it's beginning to show signs of "maintainer fatigue." The server hosting the developer's wiki died, and it seems no one can find a decent archive. The developer has asked for volunteers, and while several folks have spoken up, nothing's actually happened. There's still some activity in Git and the mail list, but I wonder how much longer this will last.

All that's to say that at some point, migrating to OwnCloud might become a necessity for me, if for no reason other than needing a full CalDAV/CardDAV server. That the new sync client appears to be more network-friendly is also a plus, so I'd finally have something useful with which to replace Dropbox. One other app has promise -- the RSS aggregator. When I de-Google-fied myself, my replacement for Google Reader has been TT-RSS. It's actively developed and the Android client is quite nice. The Android client for OwnCloud's RSS aggregator needs more polish, especially for 10" tablets.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    I'm amazed how much difference that made... Thank you!!
    I install php-apc whenever and wherever I need to run PHP apps, no matter how much raw horsepower might be on the hardware.

As for the web server and database:
    Apache (Apache/2.2.22 (Debian))
    MySQL (Version: 5.5.31+dfsg-0+wheezy1)Feathers
    If you are still in experiment mode, you might try switching the database to Sqlite. It's lighter than MySQL.

The debate over whether to use Apache or Nginx is still raging. Both web servers seem to be sensitive to tuning; I've heard praises and gripes about both, and in roughly equal proportion.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Threads
    Local Date
    Jun 6th 2020
    Local Time
    I'll definitely be remembering php-apc!

I don't really understand the inner workings of ownCloud, is PHP only used when you log in on a web browser, or will the cache affect the desktop sync client too?

Will consider switching to Sqlite. The main objective of all the tinkering is to learn, not because I really need 500GB of stuff in the cloud! In fact, I probably don't need 500GB of stuff at all.

As for Nginx... someday! I'm just starting to get my head around how Apache is configured, it was pretty daunting at first. Would love to learn how to use Nginx but I'd like to be in a position where I know enough about Apache to be able to make a meaningful comparison between the two.

Feathers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast