This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
    Can this OS be used on a Nook? You can use an Android OS for it!
    Yes, if you can run android, you should be able to port Touch. Ubuntu Touch is laid over a cm10.1 base. Or, that's what the website stated. There were a couple of GalaxyS3 devs working on it, but without CMDA support, it's not going to happen here in the US. What's the point in having a phone if you can't make calls?
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Well my neighbor has been talking to me about puting Androind on hers, so this might be another option for her.

What's the point in having a phone if you can't make calls?
      But thats good! Cell phones cause brain tumors!
      Rob

Comment

Actually, it uses CM's tools to make things easier to build, but recently, touch went from being a layer on top of android to being "flipped" the other way. How much of CM/Android is in there I can't tell.

As to cdma, well building for gsm first is a no-brainer as that involves a lot less work up front from the OS team as it isn't carrier-specific. Still sucks, but most of the world is GSM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
          Check if CyanogenMod has been ported to it, if so then the answer is it's not improbable someone will do it soon.

My girlfriend uses a Kindle Fire HD 7", and Amazon said the boot loader on that was "unhackable".
          I don't know where you got that info. You can install CM on some Kindles - depends on the generation and model. My wife's Fire HD 8.9 is rooted so I could install Google Play store and other Google apps on it. I have not attempted to change the OS becuase she doesn't want CM on it. She does hate the Carousel so I put a different launcher on it. I access her Kindle the same way I do the other 3 tablets and 4 phones I have rooted - using adb toolkit.

My understanding of Touch is it will reside alongside android and allow installation of many Ubuntu apps assumming you have the space and power to run it. The idea was computing with your portable device. If I recall, the phone had to have an external HDMI port and be at least a dual core. I assume a Nexus 4 would be a prime candidate. All this might have changed since I did any reading up on it. Assuming my phone will be on the list, I will be trying it out.

Please Read Me

Comment

Which info, the first bit or the second? If you meant the second, the CM version I used is an unofficial port, but works fine apart from the camera being a bit orange. Found the info on XDA, can find you a link if you'd like? Wouldn't have bought her the kindle if I couldn't get rid of Amazon's adverts everywhere!

I think you may be confusing Ubuntu touch with "Ubuntu for Android", I think they're different, but correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

vs

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

and

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/design

Feathers
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

My understanding was Ubuntu for Android is like a VM that runs as an Android app. I assumed Touch was the same thing. I read a bit more today and it looks like they do intend Touch to be a stand alone whole phone OS. I like that even more!

I'm in the market for a new phone, color me "Waiting for the device list"

BTW: I was one of the "purchasers" of the Edge. I got in at $675. I was very dissapointed when it didn't make it to production.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                My understanding was Ubuntu for Android is like a VM that runs as an Android app. I assumed Touch was the same thing. I read a bit more today and it looks like they do intend Touch to be a stand alone whole phone OS. I like that even more!

I'm in the market for a new phone, color me "Waiting for the device list"

BTW: I was one of the "purchasers" of the Edge. I got in at $675. I was very dissapointed when it didn't make it to production.
                That was indeed the case until July, when they "flipped" it to being the other way around now. I can't really say how the end result is any different, I am not clear on why, unless the still want to be able to run android apps

Comment

So, now it's out!

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/install

Anyone tried it? Was expecting the N7 to be on the supported devices list but unfortunately not, just the N4 and Galaxy Nexus for now.

Feathers
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                    Anyone tried it? Was expecting the N7 to be on the supported devices list but unfortunately not, just the N4 and Galaxy Nexus for now.
                    Hmm... phablet-flash ubuntu-system pulls the current image from http://system-image.ubuntu.com/. Grouper images are clearly available. Canonical may be downplaying the Nexus 7 now because the experience is still rather poor: no camera, no video decoding, and portrait orientation only. It's been like this on Grouper for a very long time.
                    Last edited by SteveRiley; Oct 18, 2013, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I'll wait a bit longer then.
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I like the idea of a unified system across multiple platforms. I never really got into Unity much. Tried it when it first came out but realized it was too limiting for my style. Great design for touch though and I suspect it being the catalyst for Windows Metro. This is one of the reasons why I like Canonical, they are adventurous and continually coming up with new and innovative ideas.
                        BSIT Software Engineering
                        " All the best people I know use Linux "

Comment

Just read the Softpedia review of Ubuntu Touch.
                          http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubunt...t-392815.shtml

Kind of takes the smart out of smart phone....

Comment

Good article, short and sweet but it covered most of what I wanted to know.

Google Maps is a big requirement for me because I use my N7 as a SatNav in the car. I wonder whether Google will release maps soon, or if they see Touch as a competitor that they can handicap by taking their time.

Feathers
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Another good review:
                              http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/u...iew-not-stable

Comment

Thanks!
                                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X