This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help. I've broken Muon and Synaptic.

I was trying to activate another repository in Synaptic, and now Synaptic and Muon won't start. Apt-get doesn't work either. Can anybody tell me how to fix this , please. I've just got Kubuntu running as I want it, and I don't really want to start again from scratch.

Thanks in advance,

John Jones

PS If I run Synaptic in a terminal, I get the following;-

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x1663630 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x16b7890 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x16ef160 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x16ef290 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x16ef620 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x1663630 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x16b7890 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x16ef160 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x16ef290 is not mapped

(synaptic:2242): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkNotebook 0x14574a0 is mapped but visible child GtkLabel 0x16ef620 is not mapped

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

No Idea what it means, but hopefully someone will know.
    Last edited by beerbunny; Sep 24, 2013, 02:43 AM. Reason: Left out error messages

Umm, why would you run Synaptic in a terminal? The whole idea of Synaptic is/was it's a GUI apt-get. It would appear you broke apt, not Synaptic and Muon, they use apt to function. Wow, this is a tough one, I'll leave this to the nuts and bolts guys, way over my head, sorry.

Or, you broke Gtk.
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 24, 2013, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
      Umm, why would you run Synaptic in a terminal? The whole idea of Synaptic is/was it's a GUI apt-get. It would appear you broke apt, not Synaptic and Muon, they use apt to function. Wow, this is a tough one, I'll leave this to the nuts and bolts guys, way over my head, sorry.

Or, you broke Gtk.
      I don't normally run Synaptic (or anything else, if possible) in a terminal. I did that so that I could see what error messages came up.

It appears that this is a known bug, but I don't know how urgent finding a fix is. Hopefully very, as until it's fixed, I can't install anything from the repositories or do an update.

Thanks,

John Jones

Comment

Thanks for the console output, a valuable tool to narrow down the reason for an error.
        Sorry I am not the one that can make much from this Gtk-WARNING so can you try the same with the Muon package manager?

What does the usual apt-get update return?
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Code:
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
          Thanks for the console output, a valuable tool to narrow down the reason for an error.
          Sorry I am not the one that can make much from this Gtk-WARNING so can you try the same with the Muon package manager?

What does the usual apt-get update return?
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          Code:
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          For Muon:-

QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
          QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
          Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-john" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
          john@john-no-1:~$ KCrash: Application 'muon' crashing...
          KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
          sock_file=/home/john/.kde/socket-john-no-1/kdeinit4__0

For sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, there's no messages at all.

Which leaves me wondering how this problem can be sorted, since I can't download and install files from the repositories.

Thanks,

John

Comment

I was trying to activate another repository in Synaptic,
            What does this mean exactly? What did you do?

You might need to go into your apt sources file and manually undo whatever you did.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              What does this mean exactly? What did you do?

You might need to go into your apt sources file and manually undo whatever you did.
              I had installed Timidity and I was trying to install soundfonts following these instructions:- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...ssedSoundFonts. When I got to the bit about installing libstdc++5, I got a message telling me that I would need to activate a particular repository (back-ports? I can't check because I can't run apt-get.) When I tried to activate a repository (in Synaptic), I got an error message about line 50. When I tried again, I got an error message about line 51, then Synaptic died, leaving me in the situation I've described above.

That's about as succinctly as I can put it, I'm afraid.

As I said earlier, this is a known bug, by which i mean that I filed a bug report (to KDE) and there were a couple of existing bugs which were almost identical; as far as I could tell, the only differences were numbers (line numbers?).

I'll gladly edit my apt sources file; can you give me some clue as to where I can find it, please?

Thanks,

John

Comment

Originally posted by beerbunny View Post

For sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, there's no messages at all.

Which leaves me wondering how this problem can be sorted, since I can't download and install files from the repositories.

Thanks,

John
                There is lots of information in that, like why would a temp file have the wrong ownership, etc, there is more than meets the eye, hmmm.
                Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 24, 2013, 10:45 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I was trying to activate another repository in Synaptic, and now Synaptic and Muon won't start. Apt-get doesn't work either. Can anybody tell me how to fix this , please. I've just got Kubuntu running as I want it, and I don't really want to start again from scratch.

Thanks in advance,

John Jones

PS If I run Synaptic in a terminal, I get the following;-

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

No Idea what it means, but hopefully someone will know.
                  These warnings are nothing more than that- warnings, and these ones are actually quite meaningless

This error can happen if one runs a gui program from within a terminal using sudo instead of kdesudo. User file ownerships can get changed. It might be a good thing running this command to put your user files back to the correct ownership if they were changed:
                  Code:
                  sudo chown -R [I]username[/I][B]:[/B][I]username [/I]/home/[I]username[/I]
                  It might help fix being able to run Muon or Synaptic, too.

Thanks,

John
                  apt-get update /dist-upgrade give you no output at all? Nothing shows on your terminal?

I had installed Timidity and I was trying to install soundfonts following these instructions:-https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...ssedSoundFonts. When I got to the bit about installing libstdc++5, I got a message telling me that I would need to activate a particular repository (back-ports? I can't check because I can't run apt-get.) When I tried to activate a repository (in Synaptic), I got an error message about line 50. When I tried again, I got an error message about line 51, then Synaptic died, leaving me in the situation I've described above.

That's about as succinctly as I can put it, I'm afraid.
                  This is odd, libstdc++5 is in the normal repos. I don't see how or why the package managers would provide such a message, or if they even are capable of doing so.

My first guess is that your sources.list file, the main file for defining which repos are used, got mis-configured or corrupted. Please post the contents of the file: /etc/apt/sources.list, and list the files found in the folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d. I'd look at line 50 and 51 of sources.list, the error message you got might be pointing to this file.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    These warnings are nothing more than that- warnings, and these ones are actually quite meaningless

This error can happen if one runs a gui program from within a terminal using sudo instead of kdesudo. User file ownerships can get changed. It might be a good thing running this command to put your user files back to the correct ownership if they were changed:
                    Code:
                    It might help fix being able to run Muon or Synaptic, too.

apt-get update /dist-upgrade give you no output at all? Nothing shows on your terminal?
                    I'm going to have to respond this post in sections for a couple of reasons:- The window for my reply is only about four lines deep, so I can't see more than a bit of your post at a time; also, I don't know if there's a limit to the number of characters in a post, but when I paste the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list, the paste is truncated and for some reason, I can't copy and paste the missing bit into my reply. Sorry if I'm being a numpty.

To confirm, apt-get update / dist-upgrade give no output in the terminal at all.

I ran your suggested line:-
                    Code:
                    , substituting my username where indicated. The line was accepted by the terminal, but has made no difference to the situation, I'm afraid.

I'll get the rest of the info you requested in another post shortly (domestic duties call).

Comment

My first guess is that your sources.list file, the main file for defining which repos are used, got mis-configured or corrupted. Please post the contents of the file: /etc/apt/sources.list, and list the files found in the folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d. I'd look at line 50 and 51 of sources.list, the error message you got might be pointing to this file.
                      etc/apt/sources.list:-

# deb cdrom:[Kubuntu 13.04 _Raring Ringtail_ - Release amd64 (20130424)]/ raring main multiverse restricted universe

# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
                      # newer versions of the distribution.
                      deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main restricted
                      deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
                      ## distribution.
                      deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-updates main restricted
                      deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
                      ## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
                      ## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
                      deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring universe
                      deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring universe
                      deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-updates universe
                      deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
                      ## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
                      ## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
                      ## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
                      ## security team.
                      deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring multiverse
                      deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring multiverse
                      deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-updates multiverse
                      deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-updates multiverse

## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
                      ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
                      ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
                      ## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
                      ## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
                      deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-backports main restricted universe multiverse
                      deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-security main restricted
                      deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-security main restricted
                      deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-security universe
                      deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-security universe
                      deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-security multiverse
                      deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-security multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
                      ## 'partner' repository.
                      ## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
                      ## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
                      deb-src [ ] http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ raring partne r
                      deb [ ] http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ raring partne r

## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by third-party
                      ## developers who want to ship their latest software.
                      deb http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main
                      deb-src http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring main

Please note that the lines 5 and 6 up from the bottom each had a box between the square brackets. I don't know how to get them on the keyboard, so I've substituted a space in each case. When I mentioned in my earlier post that this file was truncated when I copied it, it appears to have been this 'box' character that caused that particular problem. I'm not sure whether or not the empty lines are counted when counting the line numbers, but those two lines could well have been lines 50 and 51. Note also the space on both lines between 'partne' and 'r'. Looking at it, I'm guessing that they're not meant to be like that. I'm tempted to edit these lines and see what happens, but I think it's probably more sensible to wait until I hear from you. I don't want to make matters worse.

The files in the etc/apt/ folder:-

sources.list
                      trustdb.gpg
                      trusted.gpg
                      trusted.gpg~

Right, I think I've answered all your queries. I hope that the solution to the problem is now staring you in the face.

Thanks very much for your time and effort.

John

Comment

these are wrong format. it should look like the other entries.

deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ raring partner
                        deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ raring partner

there also should be no space in partner.
                        these entries are wrong but do not explain your problems.
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Good news. I changed those lines and now everything is working as it should.

Many thanks to all of you who took the time and trouble to help me. You've made my day.

Thanks again,

John

Comment

Ok, so I was a bit slow with the response

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post

these are wrong format. it should look like the other entries.

deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ raring partner
                            deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ raring partner

there also should be no space in partner.
                            these entries are wrong but do not explain your problems.
                            Yup, as Sithlord says, this is the issue - I bet these are lines 50 and 51

To fix, run Kate, or another text editor with kdesudo, i.e. :
                            kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list, edit these lines as shown above, save, and viola! Apt, muon, synaptic should run properly

I asked to list the contents of the folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d as using the repo management tools used by Muon, and I believe synaptic also, add the info into individual files in that folder. This only pertains to ppas and other manually entered repositories and since you don't seem to have anything added so we don't have to look for anything there

Comment

Yup, as Sithlord says, this is the issue - I bet these are lines 50 and 51

To fix, run Kate, or another text editor with kdesudo, i.e. :
                              kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list, edit these lines as shown above, save, and viola! Apt, muon, synaptic should run properly

I asked to list the contents of the folder /etc/apt/sources.list.d as using the repo management tools used by Muon, and I believe synaptic also, add the info into individual files in that folder. This only pertains to ppas and other manually entered repositories and since you don't seem to have anything added so we don't have to look for anything there
                              First of all, thanks very much for your help.

Secondly, my apologies for sending you the the wrong file; I really must learn to read more carefully.

All is now working as it should. Until I break something else.

Thanks again,

John

PS I just checked /etc/apt/sources.list.d and all there is in it is playonlinux.list. So it might not have been much help after all. :-)
                              Last edited by beerbunny; Sep 24, 2013, 02:55 PM. Reason: Extra info added

Comment

Working...
                              X