This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nfs shares with dolphin

I haven't been able to access samba shares using the hostname in Dolphin for ages, but it works OK by entering the (static) IP address. My Synology NAS is enabled for nfs, but I cannot access it using Network/network in Dolphin. I have managed to get icons with the hostnames of the NAS and the client computer. The client has no nfs shares and expanding to the two associated icons (a hard drive followed by hostname and a blue globe and LAN symbol followed by hostname and MAC address) is as far as I can expect to go.

The expanded NAS icon has four further icons with three followed by the hostname and the fourth followed by the hostname and the MAC address of the NAS. The four icons are; a folder with a blue globe, an unknown document, a folder with a webpage that brings up the web-based NAS management and a blue globe connected to a LAN. I would have expected the last of these to open to the share folders, but nothing happens.

I have installed the libnfs1 client library in addition to the default nfscommon, liblockfile1 and kdenetwork-filesharing.

I would rather use nfs than smb for a number of reasons including speed. Has anyone managed to get nfs shares open in Dolphin?

Roy Leith

NFS shares need to be mounted see the setup guide for more info .

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I've been using NFS for years. As sithlord says, start with setting up NFS correctly and the way you desire, then Doliphin will open the share without issue.

Samba can be fixed as well. I'm not at my Kubuntu machine right now, but post back if you want help in fixing Samba.

Please Read Me

Comment

guys,

I went through the info at the link given by sithlord, but I am missing something. All of the packages are installed by default (I know that because I destroyed my user config and had to reinstall Kubuntu. Fortunately, that was enough to restore access whilst leaving my /home partition unreformatted. I have just reinstalled all of the software I can think of.).

Anyway, I have had no trouble in the past accessing nfs shares on another networked linux machine, but this time it is proving a challenge. The Synology server keeps refusing access no matter how nicely I ask. I have set the permissions so that terrorists and the NSA can gain passwordless access, but to no avail. I will try again when I regain the will to live.

oshunluvr said he had the answer to getting Samba to find the smb shares by name rather than having to put in the IP address. Dolphin complains that it cannot find any workgroups on the network. The Synology has one set in its samba config. Any help would be appreciated, but I am happy in the mean time to use the IP address.

Roy Leith

Comment

You're not giving us any real detail about what failures are occurring and what you've done or are trying. no offence or anything but stating "all packages are installed" and "..proving a challenge..." is really zero information.

Let's start with NFS. Open a terminal and type:

showmount -e <SERVER IP>

where <SERVER IP> is the IP of your NFS server.

It should show what shares are available. If you get nothing back, your server is mis-configured. If you get shares listed, you're probably incorrectly mounting them.

As far as SAMBA, you will have trouble with Dolphin if the SAMBA shares are password-less. Try these two configuration changes:

1) Edit the file /etc/nsswitch.conf as root and change this line:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

to this:

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] wins dns mdns4

2) Edit the file /etc/samba/smb.conf as root and add these lines:

client lanman auth = Yes
          lanman auth = Yes

In the section labeled

####### Authentication #######

after the line

# security = user

(about line 103 or so)

This should allow you to "see" password-less shares. However, if you're not even seeing the workgroup you must be missing something else.

Please Read Me

Comment

hi oshunluvr,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I found that Samba shares started to appear in Dolphin with a // in the path rather than /. I think that happened after installing autofs; a linux auto mounter prog. Confusingly, once they appeared they continued to be available throughout the session and the share directories open without problems. The main share is password-less, but the home shares are not. The homes shares are accessible because I entered the ID and password in Kubuntu Systems Settings/Network/sharing. I will investigate the Samba files you give to see if the System Settings gui has effectively edited the files on my behalf.

nfs

The Synology nas reports:

roy@nettop:~$ showmount -e 192.168.1.46
            Export list for 192.168.1.46:
            /volume1/homes nettop.home.gateway
            /volume1/share nettop.home.gateway

So, it is a mounting issue. I will investigate how and where Dolphin sets up mount-points and permissions and see if I can make use of that information with nfs mountpoint files.

I will return to nfs at a later date as I would prefer to use it. However, the pressure is off, somewhat, with Samba working well.

Regards, Roy Leith

Comment

dolphin does not set up mount points for you must make them yourself and add the entries to your /etc/fstab.

for example on this machine (not always connect laptop) i made a folder /media/archive (owned by my local user) and added this line to my fstab in order to mount it (when user tries to browse it)
              Code:
              192.168.0.100:/media/archive/archive /media/archive nfs _netdev,rw,user,noauto 0 0
              the above entry shows like a CD or USB stick in dolphin and when you attempt to use the drive the os will mount the share for you. you can also "eject" the share when done.

if you have a machine thats always connected like a desktop use a similar line but leave out the noauto option and replace it with "auto". this insures that after the network is up (_netdev option) it will automaticly attempt to mount the share. it will still show in dolphin like a CD or USB but will be auto mounted on boot.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
              X