This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
    Hmm... I'm at a loss here. I assume you are not blocking adds or cookies and you have the right browser plugins for browsing the internet. Do you have issues with other websites browsing from a KDE desktop environment? What is the issue exactly? Does the browser crash? Are you presented with a message that says page cannot be displayed? Please provide more information.

I Googled a little and found these links. The first one is old. Does anyone else know if the issues in these links are still valid?
    Facebook bans KDE application, deletes user photos
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/facebook

This is interesting.
    KDE is on Facebook
    Thank life0riley, it happens with all browser in kde. This is the screenshot of the browser when failing to connect facebook. It throw no error, just a blank screen. Ping to facebook successfully. So I surrender.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	640452
    p.s. I take this screenshot on Linux Mint Olivia, not from Kubuntu. But the problem is the exactly the same.
    Last edited by buigiathinh; Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

That's weird!
      I just had a look and Facebook does have an https version, have you tried it?

Another thought, could it be your system is (accidentally) trying to connect via IPv6?
      This site explains how to disable IPv6 in Firefox (and some other stuff):
      https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...r-browsers-can

Comment

Originally posted by buigiathinh View Post
        Thank life0riley, it happens with all browser in kde. This is the screraring-firefox-enshot of the browser when failing to connect facebook. It throw no error, just a blank screen. Ping to facebook successfully. So I surrender.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]4352[/ATTACH]
        p.s. I take this screenshot on Linux Mint Olivia, not from Kubuntu. But the problem is the exactly the same.
        I don't surrender that easy.

I'm curious. Your screen shot shows this in the address bar. I don't see the lock indicating a secure connection.

My address bar shows the lock followed by https://www.facebook.com

My address bar looks like this when the page loads. What happens when you click to refresh the page?

Does your browser settings support https? I think that is required for Facebook.

I found this information here. It's a little dated. It was published September 30, 2011.
        How to Move Your Facebook Tabs to Secure Hosting Required by Facebook
        In February, Facebook introduced the “Secure Browsing (HTTPS)” option. Since then, when browsing under HTTPS, any page tab content not hosted securely displays a popup with a warning that the page is not secure. Users have to click on the popup before viewing the tab content.

Page tab creators had the option of providing a “Secure Page URL” to display to HTTPS users. As of October 1, a secure URL is mandatory, and page tabs not hosted securely will no longer be displayed to users browsing under HTTPS.
        Are you blocking pop-ups by chance?
        sigpic

Comment

Well, I typed the address carelessly, here is another screenshot. With both Firefox 23.0 and Google Chrome. And I just remember that every browser (Firefox, chrome, rekong) can access facebook approximately 1 min at the first time use before this issue.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	640453

Comment

OK. The plot thickens. You can access facebook for about one minute the first time before this issue.

So the page automatically reloads?

Let's go back to the first post on this.

Hi guys. I'm an ubuntu user. Few days ago, I decided to install a new distro because I started get bored with unity and gnome. So I chose opensuse 12.3 with kde desktop. Everything worked fine except one thing that I can't access facebook with any web browser and can't connect to facebook account with any IM client. So I moved on to Kubuntu 13.04. The previous issue happened again. I also tried to add ip in hosts file, change dns server to google but nothing worked. So I think this issue belong to KDE. Did anyone face this before? Thanks for your help.
            Why you would need to add the IP in the hosts file and change the dns server to google?

I don't have this issue and can't reproduce it.

I googled this issue and saw many complaints that were not limited to KDE distros and even included Windows users. Some of the complaints I saw dated back to 2010. There were suggestions to clear the browser cache and cookies. Enabling secure browsing appears to be the correct solution.

I'm sorry, but I feel like I am guessing here and don't think I have enough information to troubleshoot this.

I am by no means an expert on this. Maybe someone with more knowledge of this can step in.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
              I'm sorry, but I feel like I am guessing here and don't think I have enough information to troubleshoot this.
              I would have to agree, I've never had any kind of problem like this, even with live distros of any flavour, I am thinking facebook got inadvertently blocked somehow, like added to a list of bad sites for example. Quite possibly certificate revocation?
              Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 13, 2013, 05:26 AM.

Comment

I also tried to add ip in hosts file, change dns server to google but nothing worked.
                Please show exactly what you did here. Also, you should know that changes made to /etc/resolv.conf are not permanent unless you modify the configuration of the resolvconf package.

Another troubleshooting step. Please show the output of:
                Code:
                wget -S -U "Mozilla" www.facebook.com

Comment

OP -

Your linux installs - is this a PC or laptop? If it's a laptop try going to a friend's house or somewhere with wifi to see if you get the same problem. I'm suspecting your internet connection & not your OS.

Are you using a proxy (and/or Tor)?

How many routers/gateways are between you & your ISP? Do you have admin access to all of them (to see if there is some filtering going on). If you can ping facebook, assuming your DNS results aren't hijacked & are actually pointing to the real facebook, HTTP may be blocked or filtered. Or you could have a bad(possibly malicious or possibly misconfigured) default gateway.

Is facebook the only site with this problem? Try sites my like myspace, twitter, instagram, etc. If you see a pattern, I would suspect you have some filtering of social media sites going on.
                  Last edited by paperplate9; Sep 30, 2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X