This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't access facebook

Hi guys. I'm an ubuntu user. Few days ago, I decided to install a new distro because I started get bored with unity and gnome. So I chose opensuse 12.3 with kde desktop. Everything worked fine except one thing that I can't access facebook with any web browser and can't connect to facebook account with any IM client. So I moved on to Kubuntu 13.04. The previous issue happened again. I also tried to add ip in hosts file, change dns server to google but nothing worked. So I think this issue belong to KDE. Did anyone face this before? Thanks for your help.

What browser are you using?

Here is a help link from Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/help/www/210310575676558

You should be able to login with Firefox. It works on my computer, and I'm using Kubuntu 12.04. My Firefox was installed from the software repositories for Kubuntu 12.04. I am currently on version 23.0.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry but KDE would have nothing to do with this, it's just a DE, you said you tried several different browsers, this sounds like this is on facebook's end, somebody hacked your account possibly? I would ask them for a password reset for starters.

Edit: Most websites will lock you out after repeated attempts to log in with a wrong/old password, not saying that is what happened to you, just speculating. Are you entering the right user/email?
      Last edited by tek_heretik; Sep 07, 2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I don't see why you would want to access Facebook, but..... Are you connected a public internet where somone could be blocking Facebook?
        Rob

Comment

Please post
          Code:
          cat /etc/hosts
          . Sometimes people screw with that file.

Also hit us up with
          Code:
          ping www.facebook.com
          This will just give us a little insight into your issue. How are you accessing the internet? Work internet, public internet, private ADSL etc? Have you run any diagnostic tool at Facebook like nmap etc? Those things can get your IP a temporary ban. Give us some more information please....

Comment

OK, I can't resist. Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by irvcobb View Post
              Hey, hey easy there. I just got myself on FB, with no problems thus far.
              The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by irvcobb View Post
                I have to say, that made me laugh, cute, very cute.

Comment

I agree with tek_heretik this does not seem to be on the Linux end, can you access it from another connection?
                  I've never registered or visited farcebook and yet they hold a file on me, some idiots uploaded their contacts on it and their NSA filled in the dotted lines.
                  Because they reside in a lawless place (USofA) I can not get them to remove my info.
                  Avoid them like the plague!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    I agree with tek_heretik this does not seem to be on the Linux end, can you access it from another connection?
                    I've never registered or visited farcebook and yet they hold a file on me, some idiots uploaded their contacts on it and their NSA filled in the dotted lines.
                    Because they reside in a lawless place (USofA) I can not get them to remove my info.
                    Avoid them like the plague!
                    Wow, interesting AND scary, I too hate facebook with a passion.

Comment

This happened, (by E-mail) I received an invitation from Facebook to join 'friends'.
                      They included a couple of names of people I do know, to the extend I at least I know of their existence.
                      I checked and some of these like my sister and a vague acquaintance journalist were so irresponsible as to upload their contacts to facebook.

The invitation included a link to a facebook page where I could, and did, disable further and similar invitations.
                      So facebook confirmed my existence and mail address, they retain whatever people include in their looser posts and build up a profile on me who pertinently don't want to be part of their scam.
                      Would they reside in Europe I could at least demand they delete my private information, now it has gone across the Atlantic it has become a fruitless endeavour.

Please don't take it personal but I sure have an axe to grind with 'friends' who upload any information about others without their explicit approval.
                      We knew for a while they were experimenting with facial recognition on photo's, since a few weeks they advertise it as a feature!

Another outfit trying to do similar is LinkedIn, since earlier this year they regularly try tricking members into uploading their contacts by asking them 'click here to complete your profile'.
                      Another reason to oppose the de-facto MS software mono-culture that makes it totally predictable where your contact list is to be found.

Comment

Well, sorry for didn't reply soon because of busy studying. I don't think this problem belong to Facebook end, because I'm using 3 os. Windows, Elementary OS, and Kubuntu. Those 2 OS still working fine with facebook but Kubuntu not. Few day ago delete kubuntu I try Linux Mint Olivia ( another kde) but the problem happend again. One more point that I tested ping from Terminal to www.facebook.com, it pings successfully. All of the kde distros I've try are the lastest, that means it use the lastest version off KDE (ussually 4.10.7) so I think the problem belong to kde. I'm from Vietnam. Thank all of you for tried helping me.

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                          What browser are you using?

Here is a help link from Facebook.
                          https://www.facebook.com/help/www/210310575676558

You should be able to login with Firefox. It works on my computer, and I'm using Kubuntu 12.04. My Firefox was installed from the software repositories for Kubuntu 12.04. I am currently on version 23.0.
                          Thanks. I used Google Chrome but I also tried on Firefox 23.0 and the default browser Rekong. Still didn't work.

Comment

Hmm... I'm at a loss here. I assume you are not blocking adds or cookies and you have the right browser plugins for browsing the internet. Do you have issues with other websites browsing from a KDE desktop environment? What is the issue exactly? Does the browser crash? Are you presented with a message that says page cannot be displayed? Please provide more information.

I Googled a little and found these links. The first one is old. Does anyone else know if the issues in these links are still valid?
                            Facebook bans KDE application, deletes user photos
                            http://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/facebook

This is interesting.
                            KDE is on Facebook
                            Last edited by life0riley; Sep 10, 2013, 07:59 AM. Reason: Question about links is to other Forum members on this post.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                              I'm sorry but KDE would have nothing to do with this, it's just a DE, you said you tried several different browsers, this sounds like this is on facebook's end, somebody hacked your account possibly? I would ask them for a password reset for starters.

Edit: Most websites will lock you out after repeated attempts to log in with a wrong/old password, not saying that is what happened to you, just speculating. Are you entering the right user/email?
                              Hi Tek. I know it's just desktop envi, so what I mean here is that, kde distros usually come along with bunch of kde-compatible softwares, which maybe the reason cause issue. That why I can still access facebook on non-kde distro.

Comment

Working...
                              X