Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, minicomputers, and mainframes all "think" in UTC and only display local time.
    If this actually was true, I would not have started my posts. I only now had the time to look more closely into this issue and found that the KDE digital clock in the lower left corner of the KDE desktop has the feature to set its own time zone which then prescribes what the system believes to be local time. For what ever reason the time zone for local time is set to UTC as a standard (this was like this on all three installs of kubuntu which I am using, two were set up by myself, one by somebody else, two upgrades from 13.04 one a fresh install, on all three systems the same story). With telling the clock to display UTC the whole mess of time zone issues pops up to the user level. And to stress it again, this is a new feature of 13.10. I do not rember that I had this issue on any other Linux distro which I used and I started somtimes in the 1990ies ...

I am honest to say that I could not care less about all this as long as I manage to get the sytems which I am using to do what I want to have. But what I can assure you is that the whole issue with time and time zones is messed up in 13.10 and it is very likely that users who are not really fans of KDE and kubuntu will just turn its back to it when they run into this mess ...

Comment

Originally posted by kufischer View Post
      the KDE digital clock in the lower left corner of the KDE desktop has the feature to set its own time zone which then prescribes what the system believes to be local time.
      It depends on which part of the clock you're adjusting.

The firmware clock on my machine is set to UTC. The operating system's timezone is PST, as confirmed by:
      Code:
      steve@t520:~$ [B]date[/B]
      Sun Dec 29 12:14:15 PST 2013
      If I right-click the clock, choose Adjust date and time, and change the time zone there, the system's time zone is also changed. To test, I changed from Los Angeles to New York, and confirmed the change:
      Code:
      steve@t520:~$ date
      Sun Dec 29 15:14:36 EST 2013
      Then I changed it back to Los Angeles to return the system to PST.

The digital clock has more, though. Right-click the clock and chose Digital Clock Settings and select the Time Zone tab. If no time zone is selected, the clock defaults to local time (and the dropdown menu is not selectable). You can choose an alternate time zone here. When I selected New York, and then changed the dropdown menu to America/New York, the clock displays the time in the chosen zone, while the system itself remains in local time:

Code:
      steve@t520:~$ date
      Sun Dec 29 12:24:34 PST 2013
      Creating a new text file in Dolphin:

KDE has always behaved thusly.

Comment

Working...
      X