Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New install - why no "install to largest empty disk space" option?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New install - why no "install to largest empty disk space" option?

So i finally did the dual boot install. took me a while to get soem money for external disk (backup). anyway the install is in BIOS netbook HP dm1. all works out of the box. sound crackles a bit in Skype.

during the install preparation i got the following screen: http://ubuntuone.com/1CNu32SyCH6RlsLc7GFQBL

i've created empty disk space to use for Kubuntu (i left larger portion of disk formated in NTFS as Kubuntu can save to NTFS if needed.

my question is: why i didn't get any offer for install to largest empty disk space?

And furthermore the manual partitioning in installer is not exactly intuitive. although i managed to do it it using my limited linux knowledge and a how to blog i found with Google. i do not think this kind of thing is newbie friendly.

A very valid question.
    Things like the advice to use at least three partitions, root, swap and /home are also missing.
    The suggestion you need a minimum of 4 or 5 GB (?) is only useful for a geek, the average user will need at least 20GB.

Personally I always do the partitioning as a separate task and then chose the Manual option to assign the earlier made partitions.

Comment

Working...
    X