This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Set time automatically" does not work, resets time to UTC

Since I have updated to Raring (and I have done it twice on different partitions, once an install from the DVD and once an update from 12.10 -- both times with the same result concerning this problem), I have strange time problems.

After the installation, the time is correct at Paris Time (I live in France), UTC+2 (in the summer). BUt if I go in System Settings > Date and Time and try to tell it to "Set date and time automatically", either with pool.npt.org or europe.pool.npt.org, and then click on apply, it thinks for 10-15 seconds, then comes back with the automatic-set option unclicked and the time on UTC, two hours behind.

If I then click to go back to the SS overview, it tells me the settings have been changed and asks if I should apply them, a clear indicator that the precedent apply did not function correctly. Which I already knew.

It gets worse: For every boot after that, the system comes up with UTC and I must set it manually to UTC+2.

For info,

$ cat /etc/timezone
    Europe/Parisj

Also,

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Current default time zone: 'Europe/Paris'
    Local time is now: Sat Aug 17 09:09:43 CEST 2013.
    Universal Time is now: Sat Aug 17 07:09:43 UTC 2013.

set the clock correctly. Do I have to put this into my .bashrc?

Which brings up another question: In ksh, there are two profiles (as I recall), one running at logon and one running at shell creation. I presume .bashrc corresponds to the latter.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Is there a difference in:
    'ls -l /etc/localtime'
    output when the clock correct and when it shows UTC time?

(This is a quick check to see whether the behaviour is caused by the zic bug, http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...s-create-a-fix)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      Is there a difference in:
      'ls -l /etc/localtime'
      output when the clock correct and when it shows UTC time?
      )
      No, but.... Before and after, I get

$ ls -l /etc/localtime
      lrwxrwxrwx 2 root root 21 Oct 8 10:24 /etc/localtime -> ../posix/Europe/Paris

But /posix does not exist! What does this tell me?

(I am surprised that ln will do a link to an object which does not exist. But I tried it and it does.)
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
        lrwxrwxrwx 2 root root 21 Oct 8 10:24 /etc/localtime -> ../posix/Europe/Paris

But /posix does not exist! What does this tell me?
        Yes, that looks like the zic bug (/etc/localtime is a broken link), the KDE SystemSettings module uses zic to set localtime (and is affected by the bug). You can see more details on the thread I mentioned in my previous post.

Which version of kde are you using, the bug should be fixed in kde 4.11.1 packages
        kde-workspace (4:4.11.1-0ubuntu5) saucy; urgency=low

* Add kubuntu_avoid_zic_and_deep_copy_timezone_data.diff
        It does not use zic when available as zic is broken. Also adds symlink
        handling, when a tz file is a symlink, it gets the link target and
        copies that instead. This prevents broken symlinks. (LP: #1206199)
        Originally posted by joneall View Post
        (I am surprised that ln will do a link to an object which does not exist. But I tried it and it does.)
        This is correct, target does not need to exist for a link to be created.

Comment

Aha, the zic bug

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          Which version of kde are you using, the bug should be fixed in kde 4.11.1 packages
          I'm at KDE 4.10.5. Whenever the next LTS version is available, supposedly this month, I will upgrade. Hope that will fix it.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

May not be your problem but I had a similar one and posted about it here.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X