This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delighted to find Artha [it's like WordWeb

WordWeb is one of my favorite free Windows apps. You can pull it up with Ctrl+Alt+W and type in a word for a definition and synonyms. In other words, it's a quick and handy dictionary and thesaurus.

Artha was listed in the Muon Software Center as a thesaurus, but it's really a dictionary and thesaurus like WordWeb. It even is pulled up with the same hot key, Ctrl+Alt+W, as WordWeb.

I use GoldenDict with multiple dictionaries installed (things like English/French, English/German, German/French, etc.) for all my foreign language needs. However, Artha works better for my quick English definition needs. I have WordWeb installed under WINE, but I don't think I'm going to need it anymore.

Kudos to whoever designed Artha.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Thanks for posting this. I had missed this one (Artha) when I was looking for dictionary/thesaurus apps some time ago. I have been using the "Dictionary" plasma widget since I switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu some time ago. I like it but I have been wanting something with a bit more to it. Artha is great!
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
    X