This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't change screen resolution

Preliminary info: I'm running Kubuntu 13.04 in VirtualBox on my iMac, which is running Mac OS 10.7.3.
    1 gb ram and 20 gb storage are allocated to the VM; I have 4 gb ram and 500 gb storage in total.
    Kubuntu is using KDE 4.10.5. Apparently my Grub version is "0.97-29ubuntu66" whatever that means.

The virtual machine window is very small (1024 x 768) and I want to make it bigger, so I went to the Display and Monitors section of Kubuntu system settings. Weirdly, there is no option to change the resolution there, which I take it there should be. All is see is this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	screenres1.png
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	647993

And when I click on the 'i' button:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	screenres2.png
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	647992

I think for some reason a crucial config file must be missing on my system. I've googled and haven't been able to find anything helpful; one thing I read said you can manually change the resolution by editing a particular system configuration file, but it seems like the file was missing in the first place, and when I made one I didn't have permission to save it anyway and couldn't find a terminal command to allow me to do so.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Click the little box with the four green arrows. You should see a list of available resolutions.

Yes, discoverability in the new tool could be better.

More information by the developer: http://www.afiestas.org/kscreen-1-0-released/
    Some bugs have been filed asking for an improved design: https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=KScreen

Comment

Hmm, the maximum resolution available is 1024x768. Why would that be? iMac has a huge screen, there's plenty of room. Dragging the corner of the VM window doesn't seem to help, just puts a heap of blank space around the screen.
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

In a VM, the 'size' of the screen is dependent on the amount of RAM you specified for VM GPU.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You also need to install the guest extensions to change the VM's resolution.

Comment

wow, I didn't know that! how much ram would you reccomend? I have a measly 12 mb.

Comment

Jack it up all the way, to 11. I mean 128 MB.

Have you installed the guest extensions into the VM?

Comment

No, I don't know how to. I've got the little CD image on my desktop now. I don't know what to do from there. Is there a nice easy terminal command for installing them?

Comment

VirtualBox has good online documentation. See Chapter 4 in the user manual.

Comment

I installed dkms, then ran
                    cd /media
                    sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions. run

I got:
                    sh: 0: Can't open ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.

i tried cd /media/ as well, no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
                      cd /media
                      sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions. run
                      You have a space between the period and the word run. That shouldn't be there.

Comment

It's still giving me the same error without the space

Comment

See http://superuser.com/questions/26164...s-win7-host-os
                          Scroll down to the green check mark.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

But dbaker has a Mac host, so the Windows host instructions won't help. However, the concept is valid: is the ISO mounted?

Also, is the ISO listed in the VirtualBox Manager under File | Preferences | Extensions?

Last edited by SteveRiley; Jul 30, 2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I believe it's already mounted, since when I command-click on the icon in Dolphin the only options I get are 'eject' and 'release'. It's showing in the available devices menu in the panel, as well. I googled mounting virtual cds in kubuntu but I'm always afraid to follow instructions I find via google in case they're out of date and mess something up (for some reason, the only stuff I find about Linux on google is years old.)

Edit: Steve, yes, it is showing in the virtual media manager (think we have slightly different versions of VB, but this is obviously the right place to look.) It says it's attached to kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                              X