This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
    think we have slightly different versions of VB, but this is obviously the right place to look
    Hm, which version do you have? Mine's the newest, downloaded from VirtualBox.org. But I have no idea how the Manager will look on a Mac.

I believe it's already mounted
    Open a Konsole window and run
    Code:
    ls -al /media
    What do you see?

Comment

it's there:

Code:
      total 14
      drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root     4096 Jul 31 04:48 .
      drwxr-xr-x  24 root     root     4096 Jul 31 01:26 ..
      lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root       45 Jul 26 04:52 .directory -> /etc/kubuntu-default-settings/directory-media
      drwxr-x---+  2 root     root     4096 Jul 27 11:41 dorothea
      lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root       42 Jul 26 04:52 .hidden -> /etc/kubuntu-default-settings/hidden-media
      dr-xr-xr-x   6 dorothea dorothea 2048 Jul  4 14:19 VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.16_86992
      dorothea@kubuntu-VirtualBox:/media$
      Last edited by SteveRiley; Jul 30, 2013, 11:38 PM.
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Ah, that VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.16_86992 subdirectory contains the files. I bet if you look inside there, you'll find the installer.

Comment

haha, it's always so much simpler than I think! However, when I double-clicked on the installer I got this:

This program must be run with administrator privileges. Aborting

I assume this is why you're meant to run it from terminal using sudo. Which I can't get to work.
          "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

I assume this is why you're meant to run it from terminal using sudo. Which I can't get to work.
            We need to see the output of errors to help. When you run
            Code:
            sudo sh /media/VBOXADDITIONS_4.2.16_86992/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
            what do you see?

Comment

I got it to work! I have a beautiful big screen now. the problem was, those instructions neglected to mention you need the WHOLE path (I didn't have the name of the ISO in there.) No wonder it wasn't working, the directory didn't exist. Surprised I didn't pick up on that :P

Thankyou for your time.

Comment

The instructions have to be somewhat generic, since they can't predict how individual distributions will perform ISO mounting. This is one of the many things that make Linux different from Windows and Mac. It takes extended time with a distribution to learn its various quirks and how to adapt generic instructions to those quirks.

Glad you got it working. I am now off to bed.

Comment

Working...
                X