This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie with multiple questions...

I'm using Kubuntu 13.04 in VirtualBox on my iMac, which is running Mac OS 10.7.3. 1 gb ram and 20 gb storage are allocated to the VM; I have 4 gb ram and 500 gb storage in total.
    I apologise I can't give any more info than that; Alt+F2 doesn't do anything for me (probably something to do with the VM)

Here are my questions/problems.

1. Dropdown menus don't work in Firefox except for the main menu at the top (the one with File, Edit, View etc).
    For example, none of the dropdown menus in Bookmarks or Preferences work, and it appears the bug carries over into web pages visited in Firefox as well, since the dropdown menus on this site didn't do anything when I clicked on them either. I actually had to use Chromium instead because I wasn't able to select a prefix for the thread. I would prefer to use Firefox though, it's my favorite browser.

2. How do you disable the bouncing icon that appears next to the cursor when opening an app?

3. Is it possible to customize the 'kickoff application launcher'? I uninstalled a lot of the
    software that came with Kubuntu and replaced it with my own choice of software, but the
    deleted apps are still showing up in the menu, which is very annoying.

4. How do you add apps to the 'favorite applications' tab in KDE homerun? The apps I favorited
    in Search and Launch don't appear to carry across to Homerun.

I'm happy to use the command line but will need very detailed explanations if that's the case.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

...Alt+F2 doesn't do anything for me (probably something to do with the VM)...
    It should work - at here with the Kubuntu 13.10 / VM - but maybe it is an iMac/VM problem.

The Alt+F2 / KRunner key is KDE system settings > Shortcuts and Gestures > Global Keyboard Shortcuts

Does the Krunner (http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/Krunner ) jump up if you type the krunner command in the konsole ?

2)

KDE system settings > Application and System Notifications > Launch Feedback

3)

Is it possible to customize the 'kickoff application launcher'? I uninstalled a lot of the
    software that came with Kubuntu and replaced it with my own choice of software, but the
    deleted apps are still showing up in the menu...
    How did you remove ?

The menu should be dynamical - when you install/uninstall something the menu is updated.

You could try with the kbuildsycoca4:

Code:
    :~$ kbuildsycoca4 --help
    Usage: kbuildsycoca4 [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options] 

Rebuilds the system configuration cache.

Generic options:
      --help                    Show help about options
      --help-qt                 Show Qt specific options
      --help-kde                Show KDE specific options
      --help-all                Show all options
      --author                  Show author information
      -v, --version             Show version information
      --license                 Show license information
      --                        End of options

Options:
      --nosignal                Do not signal applications to update
      --noincremental           Disable incremental update, re-read everything
      --checkstamps             Check file timestamps
      --nocheckfiles            Disable checking files (dangerous)
      --global                  Create global database
      --menutest                Perform menu generation test run only
      --track <menu-id>         Track menu id for debug purposes
    => Try with the
    Code:
    kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
    What window manager you are using ?
    An older problem with the Openbox: http://askubuntu.com/questions/26288...window-manager

The KDE has the menu editor:

KMenuEdit can be started either by right mouse button clicking the application launcher button on the panel and choosing Edit Applications..., or by typing kmenuedit in the KRunner line.

4)

The Homerun has own favorites - right click the app...

Last edited by Rog132; Jul 27, 2013, 08:04 AM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thankyou so much for the comprehensive reply! I worked out that Command-click did everything I needed, took me a while though. I feel a bit silly now! Now, something even sillier: I'm note sure what window manager I'm using. All the other distros I've tried use Openbox, I think, but I don't know if this one does.
      Now that I've figured out all that stuff, a few more questions..

1. Is it possible to easily rearrange the favorites in Homerun? You don't appear to be able to drag and drop them to new positions, and nothing relevant comes up when I command-click either.
      2. Is there any way to manually change application icons? I don't just mean installing an icon theme. I have one app which hasn't inherited the icon theme and has a really ugly, low-res icon, and I'd like to be able to change it.
      3. How can you stop windows from loading right at the top of the screen so the title bar is partly covered by the little dissappearing dropdown menu thing? I hope you know what I mean.

krunner does indeed come up when I type it into Konsole. I don't know how to use it, but it comes up. I think the shortcut isn't working because of the VM.
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

About Homerun

The Homerun is a new project - I think that it was started a year ago: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...tion-Launchers .

The Homerun has some settings under the 'cogwheel'.

1)

I can't find a setting for the order of the icons but a workaround: The Homerun is saving the favorites to the ~/.kde/share/apps/homerun/favoriteapps.xml .

Edit the xml file and log out & log in and the Homerun will arrange the favorites.

2) With the KDE Menu editor

'Adding (or editing) a Menu entry'
        ...We would like to have a more creative icon, so we will click the generic icon sitting beside Name: (note, the default icon may be blank, in which case click in the area to the right of the name entry box.) It will bring the Select Icon dialog which will let us choose the new icon...

Edit the icon and log out & log in and the Homerun will show the new icon.

3) I'm not sure what you are meaning but you could edit how the KDE is placing the windows.

KDE System Settings > Window Behavior > Window Behavior - Advanced tab - Placement

Or

Right click the window tittle bar > More actions > Special window/application settings -> Size&Position -> Position/Initial placement...

I have found the Initial placement 'Under Mouse' useful.

Or / If you want to edit the window rules KDE System Settings > Window Behavior > Window rules
        Last edited by Rog132; Jul 28, 2013, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Strangely, I can't find the favoriteapps.xml file. I turned on 'show hidden files' in Dolphin and navigated to the path you described, but there was no 'homerun' folder inside the 'apps' folder. I even copied and pasted the path into Konsole, but it said no such file or directory...

I also have no idea how to get to the menu editor! I've looked in KDE help before and haven't been able to gain anything from it because I don't know how to get to the things it's talking about. I have a feeling I'm missing something really obvious here.

I already looked in the window preferences and they don't really do what I'm wanting, guess I'll just have to put up with it. It's a minor thing. Thanks again for your time.

Comment

Strangely, I can't find the favoriteapps.xml file. I turned on 'show hidden files' in Dolphin and navigated to the path you described, but there was no 'homerun' folder inside the 'apps' folder....
            Maybe this is a version problem ?

I'm using the Homerun 1.1 from the Saucy.

With the Raring:
            :~$ apt-cache show plasma-widget-homerun
            Package: plasma-widget-homerun
            Priority: extra
            Section: universe/kde
            Installed-Size: 1251
            Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@***>
            Original-Maintainer: Michał Zając <quintasan@***>
            Architecture: amd64
            Source: homerun
            Version: 0.2.3-0ubuntu0.13.04

Package: plasma-widget-homerun
            Priority: extra
            Section: universe/kde
            Installed-Size: 1238
            Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@***>
            Original-Maintainer: Michał Zając <quintasan@***>
            Architecture: amd64
            Source: homerun
            Version: 0.2.2-0ubuntu1
            The Homerun has : http://userbase.kde.org/Homerun -> https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/homerun

Publishing details
            Built by recipe homerun-stable-daily for Blue-Shell
            Published on 2013-07-15
            Changelog
            homerun (1.1.0+git20130715+r615-2~raring1) raring; urgency=low

...I also have no idea how to get to the menu editor!...
            If everything else fails - try with the konsole/terminal:
            Code:
            kmenuedit
            Is the KDE menu editor starting or do you get an error message ?

Comment

kmenuedit command works great for me Since I discovered you can completely remove the application menu widget, that's not really an issue anymore. However, I think you might be able to command-click on on each app in the menu and remove it.
              I have other problems but I'm going to make a new thread rather than keep tacking stuff onto this one.

Comment

Ok, bizarrely I can't post a new thread because the 'prefix' dropdown menu has completely dissapeared. I've tried different browsers, even different operating systems including my Mac OS, without any luck, so I guess it must be a problem with the site?

Comment

They are there, in the Help the New Guy board only. All the other boards are 'topical'.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X