This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video shuts off during Kubuntu 13.04 install

I finally got the DVD Kubuntu 13.04 to start properly in UEFI, but I still have the problem of the Video shutting off my monitor during installation.

When I click on "Install Ubuntu", or on "Check disk for errors" options on the options menu screen, a few seconds later, as install begins, the monitor blanks to black, then it goes into energy save mode and does not wake up again. If I shut off the monitor and turn it back on again, it gives the "No signal" error message.

I have a home-built system:

ASRock P7 Extremee4 Gen3 motherboard with the Intel P67 chipset.

Intel i5 CPU - not overclocked, underclocked or otherwise modified.

Two nVidia 560Ti graphics cards in SLI configuration.

I'm attempting to do a dual boot of Win7 and Kubuntu on a RAID in an external hard drive enclosure. The enclosure has it's own built in RAID card and is connected to the PC via an eSATA connection. I installed Win7 in it, and booted it from this RAID array successfully, but I can't get Ubuntu/Kubuntu installed because of the monitor shutting off issue. The same issue comes up if I try to install Kubuntu onto the internal hard drives (single drives not in RAID).

Add the nomodeset parameter to the kernel boot line in GRUB.

Comment

So, when the disk shows the menu options, click one of the options and get into the command line and type 'nomodeset' and hit enter?

Comment

Press shift at boot to have the grub menu show, add nomodeset right after "quiet splash". It should look like "quiet spash nomodeset"
        I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

O.K. Sorry for the delay in reply. I finally gave it a try today. I should have wrote it down, but there was a lot more stuff then just "quiet splash" written up there.

Shift did not work, instead it said to press "e" to edit GRUB 2, or something to that effect. I pressed "e" and got a few lines of text. I moved the cursor to "text text text text text blah blah blah quiet splash -- " and entered "nomodeset", after the "--"

Then, in accordance to what it said on the screen, I hit the F10 key.

It worked! Thanks! Now, all I have to do is wait for Ubuntu forums to come back on so that I can look up how to dual boot 'buntu and Win7.... I totally forgot about what a nightmare dual booting has become. Anyway, one problem solved. Thanks again.

Comment

Do you really need to dual boot? It's a pain to configure, and with Windows often assuming that it's the only thing [ on the computer | that matters to anyone ] you will find yourself having to repair the boot process periodically. Better would be to install only Kubuntu on the metal, and then run Windows inside a virtual machine using VMware Player or VirtualBox.

Comment

Working...
            X