This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Result of latest attempt using bcm-wimax as driver:

Starting wimax normally by switching to 'auto' mode via picocom.
    Loading bcm-wimax driver with insmod.
    Red power light comes on.

Thereafter there is the Beceem modem (4G) and the eth1 interface.
    wimaxd in combination with wimaxc -i activates the modem.

This time I was close to several towers.
    Found a number of base stations.
    Connecting attempted.
    Did not succeed because of:

"EAP supplicant is not open (Program ERROR)".

Question now becomes how to resolve this error. I will make a connection with Windows XP today, study logs to get a better idea what is missing in my linux EAP supplicant setup.

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Truncated data output is posted at:

http://pastebin.com/GJyWag1S
    Last edited by PJJ; Oct 05, 2013, 11:43 AM. Reason: added info.

Comment

If you are getting to the connecting stage, there's another log file that pops up in /tmp named CM_Auth.log. See what's in there.

My (random) guess is libengine_beceem.so is not in /lib or some dependency hasn't been met...but CM_Auth should tell you what's up.

Comment

Problem is: The CM_Auth file goes away after I turn off the computer. I have not yet seen it other than in Windows.
        The CM_Server log also disappears unless I save it right away.

Looking more carefully at the error message I am inclined to believe that libengine_beceem.so, libxvi020.so.05.02.0628050017 and libeap_supplicant.so are not of the correct variety. I extracted them a long time ago for another incarnation of this linux kernel.

According to Sprint_Dev_Pack this could be the problem.
        Says Sprint:

NOTE: It is very important that the firmware image, kernel module and Broadcom
        (Beceem) library are each from the same release/revision. For example, do not
        mix the device firmware from one library release with the kernel module and
        library from another release.

I have done so many compilations and extractions that I have a plethora of files with identical names lying all over the place despite cleaning up once in a while.

I will erase the implicated files and extract them for my current kernel (3.8.0-31-generic) to be sure.

Fund three towers and can now reliably 'connect'. I did this morning. Same error message.

I will try again later to look for the auth file.

Check pastebin if you can not go to the forum. I throw a lot of stuff up there.
        By the way, bcm_wimax will most likely work for me as well.
        And it gives a new 'wired' connection named eth1.

Once the EAP problem is solved I will also find the correct values for the 802.1 authorization screen. Network Manager should then connect after 4G modem is turned on.

Comment

UPDATE

After cleaning some of the old drivers off the computer but without improving on the faulty stuff I attempted one more connection just for fun.

Found one base station without external antenna. Could improve signal strength with antenna.

Processes successfully but no connection achieved yet.
          Reason:

=============== Received Message Start (2013/09/06 13:58:52.066) ===========
          u32State = Waiting for network entry command
          Network entry response received (Type = 2 - Subtype = 2 - Length = 52)
          Network Entry Status Received
          Link status = WAIT FOR NETWORK ENTRY CMD
          EAP supplicant is OFF <-------------------------
          =============== Received Message End (type=2 sub-type=2) ===============
          ***** Message sent successfully
          Now it is off when before it was a program error.

Working on it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by paperplate9 View Post
            If you are getting to the connecting stage, there's another log file that pops up in /tmp named CM_Auth.log. See what's in there.

My (random) guess is libengine_beceem.so is not in /lib or some dependency hasn't been met...but CM_Auth should tell you what's up.
            OK, finally got a CM_Auth.log file.
            Says:

========== ========== ========= ========= ==========
            Authentication session started at 10/06/13 17:16:47
            ========== ========== ========= ========= ==========

Not good enough.

libengine_beceem.so is in /lib. But it is also in /usr/lib with different date and link to libengine_beceem.so-1.7.7.so.

The file in /lib is the more recent file.

Since this thread is getting quite long, I will start a new one that only deals with connecting via drxvi314.ko and bcm_wimax.ko to the wimax network.
            Last edited by PJJ; Oct 08, 2013, 04:14 PM. Reason: Improving clarity

Comment

Since the original challenge is actually solved, I am starting a new thread that will concentrate on how to connect to Sprint/Virgin mobile wimax broadband using the Franklin U 600 modem.
              This original thread does have some preliminary information and results that actually cover should be over here.

The thread and pertinent connection info is at:
              http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...r-bcm_wimax-ko

Comment

Working...
              X