This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stealth Wimax driver drvxi314.ko?

My attempts to install the module drvxi314.ko to 13.04 have resulted in a file by this name. However, modprobe and insmod declare emphatically that such a file/driver does not exist.
    I am looking at it in /lib/modules!
    It has the correct date of creation and a size that can be reasonably expected.
    But it cannot be installed.
    'insmod' gives error 'file does not exist'. Modprobe does essentially the same.
    Why?
    Does anyone know?

The Linux driver bcm_wimax also exists (it comes with the kernel). It even responds to modprobe by showing up for 'lsmod'
    But again, it does not do anything. Nothing is attached to it and the modem does not light up.

Since other users are using bcm_wimax to run a modem, it can not be the actual bcm_wimax file.
    But what else?

drxvi314 works fine with XP.
    Last edited by PJJ; Jul 15, 2013, 09:07 PM.

Anything interesting in
    Code:
    sudo strace modprobe drvxi314

Comment

Stealth Wimax driver drxvi314.ko

Sorry for the delay. I could not find my own post for a while - thanks to the unusual title.

Attached is the result of strace modprobe ... as suggested:
      SORRY, I attempted to upload the resulting file for your info but got a dressing down for 'malicious behavior', etc.

Anyway, to make a long result list short:
      Driver/file not found or does not exist.

Here it is shown:

Code:
      peter@pjj:~$ locate drxvi314.ko
      /lib/modules/3.8.0-19-generic/drxvi314.ko
      /lib/modules/3.8.0-26-generic/drxvi314.ko
      /usr/src/USB_350/Source/Driver/Network/OSAL/Linux/usb/drxvi314.ko
      in detail:

Code:
      /lib/modules/3.8.0-26-generic$ ls -a -l
      -rw-r--r--  1 root root 290404 Jun 17 15:19 bcm_wimax.ko

Exceprt from strace modprobe ...:

Code:
      open("/sys/module/drvxi314/initstate", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
      stat64("/sys/module/drvxi314", 0xbfd059ac) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
      write(2, "FATAL: Module drvxi314 not found"..., 34FATAL: Module drvxi314 not found.
      ) = 34
      exit_group(1)
      Last edited by SteveRiley; Jul 23, 2013, 07:26 PM. Reason: Enclosed output in [ CODE ] tags

Comment

The output of locate shows the drxvi314.ko module in /lib/modules/3.8.0-26-generic/. But your ls command in that subdirectory does not. This tells me that the file does not exist, and your locate database is out-of-date.

What exactly does this drxvi314 module do, and how is it related to bcm_wimax?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          The output of locate shows the drxvi314.ko module in /lib/modules/3.8.0-26-generic/. But your ls command in that subdirectory does not. This tells me that the file does not exist, and your locate database is out-of-date.
          . . .

I suspected that. It must be a leftover from some failed attempts to compile the driver to an earlier kernel.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          What exactly does this drxvi314 module do, and how is it related to bcm_wimax?
          drxvi314.ko is the Linux driver based on the original Windows driver drxvi314.ko for wimax broadband. Bcm_wimax is the Linux replacement of drxvi314.ko. The latter is supposed to take the place of drxvi314.ko and activate and operate the wimax modem. As you can see, it does not do so in my case. Other user report that it does work with Kubuntu 12.04. (It did not for me).

Bcm_wimax together with two firmware files is supposed to make the modem work. In my case it works for 3G and I now can power up the 4G modem. But bcm_wimax does not recognize the modem. Therefore nothing happens and I am still stuck.

By the way, the modem is the Franklin U600 modem. It is a dual modem, 3G and 4G Wimax.

As far as bcm-wimax is concerned it does show with lsmod. I also can modprobe it. Insmod does not work, I believe to remember.
          But, as I said, the driver appears to be doing nothing. It does not recognize the modem contrary to what others are reporting.

Comment

Perhaps you might need to find a WiMAX interface that's already been tested in *buntu. I don't have any experience with such things, so I can't offer suggestions.

BTW, both insmod and modprobe are used to load modules into the kernel. If one works, the other will too. Check the man pages for more details.

Comment

Problem is that relatively few people are using or attemtping to use wimax from Sprint. I have followed basically all forums and suggestions in posts without success.
              drxvi314.ko needs to be compiled to the kernel used. That's one of the points that gie me a hard time. Most compilation effrots end with errors. That might explain why the driver is listed but does not really exist.

Look here:

Code:
              pjj@pjj:/lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic$ ls
              build        misc               modules.builtin.bin  modules.order        source
              drxvi314.ko  modules.alias      modules.dep          modules.softdep
              initrd       modules.alias.bin  modules.dep.bin      modules.symbols
              kernel       modules.builtin    modules.devname      modules.symbols.bin
              There it is in the current system.
              And:

Code:
              pjj@pjj:/lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic$ ls -a -l
              . . . 
              -rw-r--r--  1 root root 396913 Jul 12 12:52 drxvi314.ko
              . . .
              But:

Code:
              pjj@pjj:/lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic$ /lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic/drxvi314.ko:
              bash: /lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic/drxvi314.ko:: No such file or directory
              pjj@pjj:/lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic$ modprobe /lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic/drxvi314.ko:
              FATAL: Module /lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic/drxvi314.ko: not found.

sudo modprobe /lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic/drxvi314.ko
              [sudo] password for pjj: 
              FATAL: Module /lib/modules/3.10.0-2-generic/drxvi314.ko not found.
              It is a mystery as far as I am concerned. Maybe the driver is not built out properly or something like that.

Bcm_wimax can be inserted and also shows with lsmod. But does nothing and attaches to nothing.

So far even the 'experts' from other forums (including Ubuntu forum) have no valid explanation.

By the way, the modem and the driver drxvi314.ko are working just fine with Windows.

Thank you for your efforts in this matter. I will post here should I find a solution.
              Last edited by SteveRiley; Jul 23, 2013, 07:28 PM. Reason: Enclosed output in [ CODE ] tags.

Comment

Please wrap output from commands using the [CODE] and [/CODE] tags. It's much easier to parse this way.

In your most recent list, you show a different kernel. Presumably, you're aware that you need to compile the module each time you update the kernel.

Out of curiosity, are you running a 64-bit Kubuntu? And might that module actually be only for 32-bit? The reason I ask is that "file not found" errors -- when the file is plainly there -- often appear when a 32-bit binary is trying to load on a 64-bit system and other required binaries might be missing.

Comment

I am using two different kernels on two separate partitions. One is the 3.8.0 and the other the 3.10.0 kernel.
                  But both should show the drivers.

The drxvi314 needs to be compiled to the kernel it is to be used with as you said. However, my attempts produce errors all the time - and strangely enough the drver drxvi314. Maybe that is why it does not work.

bcm_wimax is rumored to have a regression in the most recent kernels that render it ineffective. The solution is to use the data from an older kernel (such as 3.0.) and compile the driver with that data to the current kernel.
                  I tried that. Errors and now working bcm_wimax driver.
                  But I am an ignoramus when it comes to compiling anything.

Comment

Would you capture the output of a failed complie, upload it to http://pastebin.ubuntu.com, and reply here with the link?

Comment

Thank you. I will do so. However it may take me a few days to do so.
                      Question regarding 'pastebin':

I have been using instructions found on a 'pastebin' site to compile and to install the modem in question.
                      Much of the information was very useful. Indeed, at least two times the installation/compilation procedures worked for me. No more.
                      The instructions I used are at: http://pastebin.com/AzBndfdH
                      Same 'pastebin'?

I'll get back to this forum as soon as I have something to show.

Comment

Question: Compile
                        1. drxvi314 driver (requires Sprint4GDeveloperpack-1.6.1.2.2 to be applied). Very lengthy.

2. bcm_wimax recompilation of module only? Much shorter output.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ View Post
                          Question regarding 'pastebin':

I have been using instructions found on a 'pastebin' site to compile and to install the modem in question.
                          Much of the information was very useful. Indeed, at least two times the installation/compilation procedures worked for me. No more.
                          The instructions I used are at: http://pastebin.com/AzBndfdH
                          Same 'pastebin'?
                          I don't know much about the history of pastebins. Maybe pastebin.com was the first one. You can read more at their FAQ. Over time, such services have emerged in many places. KDE has one, for example. Since we're a Ubuntu-derived distro, it seems reasonable to direct folks to use the pastebin at Ubuntu. It's also the default receptor for the wonderful command-line utility pastebinit:

Code:
                          steve@t520:~$ [B]apt-cache show pastebinit[/B]
                          Description-en: command-line pastebin client
                           pastebinit is a command-line tool to send data to a "pastebin", a web site
                           which allows its users to upload snippets of text for public viewing.

steve@t520:~$ [B]pastebinit -l[/B]
                          Supported pastebins:
                          - cxg.de
                          - fpaste.org
                          - p.defau.lt
                          - paste.debian.net
                          - paste.drizzle.org
                          - paste.kde.org
                          - paste.openstack.org
                          - paste.pocoo.org
                          - paste.pound-python.org
                          - paste.ubuntu.com
                          - paste.ubuntu.org.cn
                          - paste2.org
                          - pastebin.com
                          - pastie.org
                          - pb.daviey.com
                          - slexy.org
                          - sprunge.us
                          - yourpaste.net

Comment

I thought I posted a reply to your post. Obviously not or maybe it disappeared?
                            Anyway, it will take me a few more days before I can attempt another compile. I am on the road a lot for the rest of the week and weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ View Post
                              I thought I posted a reply to your post. Obviously not or maybe it disappeared?
                              Haven't seen any reply from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X