This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Qapt and gksudo does not work

Hello, I tried installing packages (e.g. Google Chrome, Steam), Qapt appeared, asked for password, downloaded the dependencies, and said 'DONE', but no, it wasn't installed. Also, if I search for certain packages using Muon Software Center (e.g. Skype, Steam, Kubuntu-restricted-extras) it does not show up anyting. If I try using USC it work, but it is buggy (for me) on Kubuntu.
    The other thing, is that gksudo does not work either. It appears, asks for password, hangs on a little bit, then disappears, and does nothing.
    What should I do? I know I should have reported it on Launchpad as a bug, but others did it, and it hasn't been fixed since ubuntu 12.04 . (I tried 12.10 as well, same results.) I was curios about the latest release, if it had been fixed, but unfortunatelly not. (Actually now I'm on 13.04, because at least the apt-url does work while browsing apps.ubuntu.com)

You are using Kubuntu and not Ubuntu. It's not gksudo, it's kdesudo.

How have you tried to install?

For general guidance look at http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Kubuntu_Raring
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Never mind, now I'm not facing issues with root privileges (it was gksudo, because it was a gtk app, what I wanted to run).

But the other:
      For example, I'd like to install Playonlinux.

1. I download it from the official site.
      2. Then I navigate to it in dolphin.
      3. Make it executable as a program. (By the way if I don't make it executable, it won't be installed either.)
      4. Run it.
      5. The following steps are the pictures below: ("Kész"=Done)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	640395Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	640396Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	640397
      Last edited by nabalzs; Jul 08, 2013, 09:38 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Comment

You don't need gksudo to run a gtk app. gksudo is a gtk app. kdesudo will run a gtk application just fine. gksudo isn't installed by default in none gtk-based distros like Kubuntu. Neither is USC. You aren't going to find many well-working gtk programs here or much help with them.

A .deb package need not be made executable to be install. It is in fact not executable and flagging it that way won't make it so. Playonlinux is in the repos, why not install from there? It is one version behind right now, but works OK here. If you're not finding it in Muon, close Muon, open a terminal and type

sudo update-apt-xapian-index -f

This should clear the index and allow Muon to display everything again. BTW: Playonlinux is in the Multiverse repo so you have to enable "Restricted Extras" in software sources for it to be in the list.

Please Read Me

Comment

Rebuilding xapian index did not have any effect.
          But the latest the playonlinux package is, the better the experience of running windows programs is. For example, when I used to play with League of Legends, I used the oldes playonlinux package, but the game didn't even start. I asked for help, and I was answered, that I should update it from the official website, I did it, and heyy, it worked really good!

Comment

Working...
          X