X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant get live USB to work

hi,
    I have a new sony vaio fit 14 laptop, and i tried the live version of ubuntu from a memory stick, and it works fine. I then installed kubuntu on the memory stick, i get to the grub screen ( just like last time ), i choose to try/install Kubuntu and then it just hangs/freezes and nothing, i waited for 10 min.
    I used the exact same procedures as with ubuntu. My laptop is win 8 and uefi and has hybrid drive - but if ubuntu just worked, why wont kubuntu?

any advice please?
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Did you try to install kubuntu onto the same usb stick that the livecd was on? I wouldn't think that would even start installing, so I'm guessing you tried to another usb stick. I never tried to install from usb to usb.

At what poin does it freeze?

edit: re-reading I noticed two things:
    1) You have uefi, which I know nothing about, but there are many tutorials on how to install linux along side windows 8.
    2) Confused about getting to the grub screen and then trying to install. If you get to the grub screen, that's another issue.
    Last edited by verndog; Jun 19, 2013, 08:18 PM.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Depending upon your hardware.

You , yourself, will have to search the net to find whatever "keystrokes" you need to get to "bios" for your particular machine.

There are generic search queries for that like: "what are the ctrl codes to get to bios"...

Unfortunately, it will take some searching on you part to find them and we, at the forum, are not much help for that,

although just 6 or 7 years ago we would have been able to do so but there are just a LOT of "ctrl" codes.

After you find that then you should use the "arrow keys" to move across the menu at the top to find the menu items below for:

"enable legacy boot" or some such item

""boot from usb".

click them or toggle them or whatever it takes and then "save" usually an "f9" or "f10" or something.

Close and shut down.

insert the usb drive,

power on and....

hope for the best!

PS it should NOT take "ten minutes" it should proceed in a "reasonably timely manner".

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Seems strange.
        You did do an md5 integrity check for both the download and after putting it on the USB stick?
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

An alternative way is to install the server version, boot it up and then install the kubuntu desktop.
        See the summary in the first post.
        http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...nding-my-teeth
        Last edited by Teunis; Jun 24, 2013, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X